RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Workers Plan Strike to Protest Lack of Financing

Author Topic: Amtrak Workers Plan Strike to Protest Lack of Financing
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(from the New York Times)

Amtrak Workers Plan Strike to Protest Lack of Financing

September 17, 2003
By MATTHEW L. WALD

WASHINGTON, Sept. 16 - Six Amtrak unions are to announce on
Wednesday that they will stop work on Oct. 3, shutting the
railroad for the day, to protest Congress's failure to pass
a $1.8 billion appropriation for the railroad for the
fiscal year beginning Oct. 1.

More at http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/17/politics/17AMTR.html?tntemail0

[This message has been edited by Kairho (edited 09-17-2003).]

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for them. Of course, bad, if it doesn't raise a stink...but a little quasi-suicidal "see how you'll miss me when I'm gone" tactics may be in order.

Are we prepared for the event of a backfire and they strike and no one notices?

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be one of the first to know as I'll be in the middle of a coast-to-coast on the Sunset. If they do carry out the strike I sure hope they continue into New Orleans for the day!
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The strike is an interesting idea, but I'm still weighing the implications and don't know if it will help or hurt or what. It might draw attention to the issue in a dramatic way. It will probably upset the passengers who are affected and thus may have a negative result. A lot may depend on how the press covers it.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Well, according to on board personnel on the City of New Orleans and the Sunset Limited over the past 2 days, the strike is a definite possibility. The problem is that at one minute after midnight, they will apparently just stop the train wherever they can and walk. I don't know if it will happen that way, but I'm forced to cancel my 3 night Sunset Limited trip. Too bad...
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has already stated they will get an injunction to stop the strike. Whether that will in fact stop it remains 2/b seen.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is unwise. Just what the AMTK opponents need is something like this. I can see it now:"The train already loses money, nobody I know rides the trains - why are we subsidizing them, they don't make money . . .etc, etc, and now they're on strike - did anyone notice? Didn't think so. Time for them to go . . . ." and so on. What Amtrak must do and must continue to do is to show how it fills a need or a niche in the transport marketplace. It filled the need for me (well, kind of) this past weekend when I traveled to a relatives wedding and read from the Bible.

If anything, the strike just might give passenger rail detractors the example they want in order to prove passenger rail "irrelevancy" in the North American transport market. This strike can be used against the workers in such a fashion that they will shoot themselves in the foot. > Bad move, Amtrak employees.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This kind of stuff really demonstrates how the power of unions has been undermined in this country. (Did you know that the NYCTA labor force is actually forbidden by law to go on strike, by comparison…??)

Just goes to show that the power of Washington is far greater than anyone suspects. Forget about being scared of "1984"—we're living it.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
All absolutely correct. If even the threat of this kind of action can force an Amtrak supporter like myself to cancel (costing them $323) imagine what it does to those sitting on the fence.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page