RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip to Grand Canyon

Author Topic: Trip to Grand Canyon
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the Grand Canyon 12 years ago when I was 4 and my brother was only 8, so my parents really want to take us again because quite frankly we just dont remember it at all.

So there are a few questions for those that have taken the Train to the Garnd Canyon in the past 3-4 years, and i need some hotel tips as well(when should we make the reservations). BTW We took the Chief to the GC in 92, we loved it. That was our first over night train ride.

Details probably include:
Late March, about the last week,a 5-7 day stay at the Grand Canyon, and we probably will get two standard bedrooms.

Questions:
1: Where is it better to get the Chief, since I live in STL, Chicago or KC? I know its a longer ride from Chicago, which is no problem at all.
2: Any good hotels, and when should I make reservations? Soon?
3: Would this be a good idea for a trip?

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 09-18-2003).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never actually taken Chief to get to the Grand Canyon Railway, but now with the Williams Junction station it is a great way to do it.

As far as your questions go;

1) I live in California, but I would assume it would be easier to board at the nearest local station. I'd say KC.

2) There is a relatively new hotel, the Fray Marcos, which is at the Grand Canyon Railway's station in Williams. From what I've heard and seen, it's a fairly nice hotel. There are packages where you can book a trip on Amtrak, get off at Williams Junction, stay at the Fray Marcos, and ride the trian to the Grand Canyon.

I would always suggest to make reservations as eary as possible.

3) I would certainly say this is a good idea for a trip. I took the Grand Canyon Railway back in 1989, when it first opened. And every year the equipment and service has gotten better.

Below are some links that you may find helpful.
http://www.thetrain.com/index.cfm
(Grand Canyon Railway website)
http://www.thetrain.com/rail.cfm#aaamember
(Amtrak Grand Canyon Packages)
http://www.thetrain.com/fares.cfm#fares_sub_fraymarcoshotel
(Fray Marcos Hotel)

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that Amtrak has moved into the KC Union Depot, it is a great place to kill time between trains. But do not think of driving there and parking. This has become very expensive and inconvenently located (it cost me $90 for a week last Feb, more than my train fare to AZ)!

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncle Buck - take the Ann Rutledge (Train #303)from St. Louis or Kirkwood (you live in Kirkwood, don't you?) to K.C., then connect with the SW Chief -- you won't have to backtrack to Chicago then. Have a great trip!!

--Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I took that trip in May 2003.

If you intend on riding the GCRR, don't stay at the Fray Marcos. It's over $100 a night. There are several motels in town for $40 a night. You get in late and leave early. No need to waste the extra money. (it's a small town, you can easily walk to the station)

Staying at the Grand Canyon, I highly recommend Bright Angel, if you can get a room. Reserve your room ASAP! We stayed at Maswik. It's OK, but nothing special (no coffee available)

Bright Angel is right on the canyon wall and right on the free bus route. We did not rent a car, and did not miss having a car. You can easily rely on the bus transportation.

The Bright Angel has a great, reasonably priced restaurant, too.

I highly recommend the trip. In fact, we might go back this next year. Three days is just not enough time. If we do repeat, we will get off in Flagstaff and take the bus to the Grand Canyon. We'll stay at Bright Angel and probably fly back to Houston, to increase our time at the Grand Canyon (3 day train trip back to Houston, versus a 4 hour flight).

BTW, that is a REALLY BIG! ditch. If Arizona wants it filled in, I could probaly get a few good contractors here in Houston to do it. Might take a while......

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a hotel right on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon (the main area where people congregate to see the Grand Canyon). Can not recall the name of it, but I would imagine it is not cheap. The Grand Canyon Railway Station is a short walk from the hotel. Course, you will need to overnight in Williams the first night, then take the train to the Grand Canyon before overnighting on the rim.

I took the Southwest Chief on a trip to the Grand Canyon and got off in Flagstaff. Stayed for three nights in Flagstaff and then took various sightseeing tours in and around the Grand Canyon area (arranged through Amtrak Vacations). You can also rent a car out of Flagstaff, which made it convenient for getting around on my time. Did not do the Grand Canyon Railway, but it sounds neat.

Just be sure to plan out something to do for your 5 to 7 day stay if you are going to overnight at Williams or the Grand Canyon South Rim - and consider how you are going to get from one place to the next. Lots to do at the Grand Canyon and its perimeter.

On my next trip to the Grand Canyon I'll probably take the Southwest Chief to Williams for an overnight stay and then take the Grand Canyon Railway up the South Rim. Overnight on the Rim for a couple of nights and during the day arrange for a white water rafting adventure, sightseeing tour, airplane/helicopter tour around the canyon, or even a donkey trip to the base of the canyon.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we went to the Grand Canyon 12 years ago we took the Ann Rutledge to KC and connected w/ the Chief there, and then got off in Flagstaff and stayed there for one night before going to stay at a motel at the GC.
I have seen the new KC railroad station, but am not real impressed by it or anything. A normal train depot but it has some sort of science center in it, hhhmmm.
The only reson we might go to Chicago to get the train is because we would meet up with my brother who goes to IU(Indiana) in Chicago.

Let me ask this question:
Which place is it better to get off at, Williams or Flagstaff?
It looks as if Williams has a bit more of inconvienent times. Arrive at 10:01 PM WB and 4:46AM EB. Of course Flagstaff is only better by about 40 minutes.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume you will be staying at the South Rim, as the North Rim will still be closed in March. If you stay in the park, there are a number of lodges available. You can make reservations through Amfac. The prices range from very reasonable to very expensive, if you choose the El Tovar. You can also stay right outside the main entrance in Tusyan. There are a number of really nice motels/hotels, that are in the $130+ range.

If you get off the train in Flagstaff, you should take a car ride south on 89A to Sedona...the red rocks are spectacular and it's a really nice town to visit.

Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be telling you things you already know, but Flagstaff has some advantages if you have lots of luggage or rent a car. Hertz meets the trains with your contract ready, even when they are late. Off-season (March) weekly rates are reasonable. There is a drop box in the depot for your key, so that early morning departure is a matter of seconds. Flag has checked baggage and one of the nicest depots I have seen.
You can find some good inexpensive motels in Flag. I prefer Red Roof Inn. You can see the tracks from there with snow capped peaks behind them.
I second what ladylawyer said about 89A to Sedona. My AZ homies used to think that route through Oak Creek Canyon was equal to the Grand Canyon before it became overrun with wealthy tourists. Also Walnut Canyon Natl. Mon is only a few miles out of flag and well worth the trip.
Since I have never been to Williams, I can't really compare, but Flag offers some convenient ways to deal with the arrival and departure times.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sedona is really nice.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page