RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What Amtrak train served Keyser, WV?

Author Topic: What Amtrak train served Keyser, WV?
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back someone posted a list of stations no longer served by Amtrak. I searched but could not find it.

On Saturday I drove through Keyser, WV. There is a brick station/maintenance building next to the tracks, and it still has a faded "Amtrak Rail Passenger Station" sign on it.

What train went through here? Seems to be one discontinued long ago...

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like either the Shenendoah or the Hilltopper, depending whether that town lies on former Baltimore & Ohio or Norfolk & Western territory.

The Shenendoah traveled via the ex-B&O from Washington to Cincinatti on an overnight schedule. When I rode it in (I think) 1980, it was a two-car Amfleet train, the rear of which featured two custom-built roomettes. I think this was the only time Amtrak ever put sleeping accommodations on an Amfleet.

The Hilltopper traveled on a daylight schedule from the tiny burgh of Tri-State, Kentucky to Washington on the former N&W via Roanoke, Virginia--a spectacularly beautiful run.

Both trains were famously pulled from a "barrel of West Virginia pork" (that is to say, existed for political reasons alone), and were discontinued around 1981. Personally, I didn't mind the smell of pork-rinds that permeated the trains. Neither, it seems, did the many locals who used them.

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the Shenandoah. I rode the train a couple times back in the late 70's/early 80's. It ran overnight from D.C. to Cincinnati, then connected with the Cardinal at Cincinnati to go to Chicago. The Shenandoah took the same route as the present Capitol Ltd between WAS and Cumberland, MD, then headed into Keyser and Morgantown, WV, and then through southern Ohio through Athens and Chillicothe, then on to Cincinnati.

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 09-29-2003).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! It is indeed the ex-B&O.

Keyser itself didn't have that much to see (though I did like the position-light signal mounted on the highway bridge). They must get a lot of railfans or those who travel by rail, because many of the local hotels listed "distance to the Cumberland Amtrak station" in their internet listings.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another great trip I took was on The Shenadoah, a train which once ran from Washington, DC to Cincinnati, Ohio. I only rode it from Washington to Chillicothe, Ohio, from which point I planned to hitchhike north to my final destination, a half hour north of Columbus.

The Shenandoah's modest consist included just an Amcafe and two Amcoaches. Not too long after setting out from Washington, the train called at Harpers Ferry, which is one of the most scenic way stations anywhere if you ask me.

I spent most of the time in the vestibule of the trailing Amcoach, simply staring out the back door window. All I saw were vague shapes and the snaking tracks behind the train, but, being a railfan, the limited sights were mesmerizing nonetheless. Years before, I would have been sitting in one of those special dome cars which the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad outfitted with floodlights to help passengers enjoy the scenery. I wonder what the people who lived in the homes along the right of way thought of those things back then.

Most of The Shenandoah's stops after Harpers Ferry were flag stops, owing perhaps to these communities' small sizes and also perhaps to the train's late nocturnal passing, and to be sure, nobody seemed to be flagging the little train that night, if anyone ever did. We didn't stop anywhere it seemed, but we seemed to be making slow progress all the same. The train proceeded through the mountainous country at a very slow pace. There were many curves. At times the roadbed was quite bouncy. While on a map this line looked to be the most direct possible between the nation's capitol and the windy city, perhaps it was because of the roadbed's choppy condition that years later when Amtrak re-invented The Capitol Limited, the train itself didn't come this way. I think the new Cap heads down the other track at Harpers Ferry, north towards Pittsburgh.

I grew more and more fatigued, but I couldn't bring myself to sit down in an Amcoach and sleep. I was covering new ground, and I also was worried about how easily I'd be able to hitch a ride north when I got to Chillicothe.

Sometime during the night an icy rain began to fall. It was just a bit before daybreak when The Shenandoah came to a stop at Chillicothe. The place was obscured by a thick fog. All I recall of the station was the chilly dampness and the blinking lights on the rising crossing gates as The Shenandoah pulled away to the west, leaving me all alone in the mist. I stuck out my thumb, and, much to my amazement, within a just few minutes, I got a ride in a pick-up truck all the way to Ohio Wesleyan University.

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
DNSommer,
Good trip report, though I think the routes split at Cumberland and not Harpers Ferry.
MP

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. MPALMER is correct - the routes of the Capitol Ltd and Shenandoah split at Cumberland, not Harpers Ferry.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since The Shenandoah was discontinued, any references about it would be written in past tense, right? So what is the the past tense of 'split'? 'Splat'?

Thx for the clarification about where the Cap's route and Shenandoah's former route splat. Thx also for complimenting my trip report.

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-10-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh. Weak joke. My apologies!

Dave

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
ok. Look for ward to more trip reports, whether or not they include lines that splat off from still-existing routes ;-D

MP

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page