RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A Bedroom When You Only Wanted Coach?

Author Topic: A Bedroom When You Only Wanted Coach?
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would a true Amtrak fan get a bedroom (if that was all that was available) when all he needed was a coach seat?

I wanted to ride the Crescent for a 1.5-hour trip Sunday, but all that was available was a bedroom, so I passed....$96 is a bit pricey when compared to $16 for such a short trip...

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coach is sold out but a sleeper is empty? That sounds odd. Some Amtrak fans might want to spend the extra bucks just for the private room experience, but for most of us it would be overkill, I think.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't it have been nice to find an enterprising conductor who would have negotiated the fare with you just to sell the seat. Even hotels give you a "day rate" if your not sleeping in the room.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the passenger would be entitled to sit in the lounge car if coach was sold out?
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on trains, along the NEC, where the coaches were so completely "sold out" that the conductor had to seat newly-boarding passengers at the tables in the cafe car.

On occasions where the coaches are full, but the sleeping cars have vacancies (sometimes many vacancies), why not officially sell the seats in sleeping cars as "coach seats" to last minute passengers, as long as they won't be traveling overnight?

Obviously, the online reservation system isn't set up for this. But the station ticket agents, and the conductors themselves, could possibly handle it in some fashion. And those extra sleeper rooms wouldn't be running empty.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 09-30-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago, AMTRAK used to sell reservations called "seat in a roomette" for day-use only passengers who wanted the privacy of 1st class, but did not want to sleep in the room. Do they still have that option?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have many times ridden short distances in a sleeper, and about the cheapest I have ever paid for a standard bedroom was about $100.00. Personally I think it is worth the money in order to experience the joys of a private bedroom over a noisy crowded coach.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your responses. If this comes up again in the future I'll try the negotiation route.

According to the reservation agent the Crescent is very popular. That must be the case, as I have never been able to get a ticket on the Crescent. I am not sure of my availability until a day or two before the train runs, and each time I call the train is "sold out" or "almost sold out".

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page