RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 9-Days on Amtrak

Author Topic: 9-Days on Amtrak
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of going on a cruise again this year, I decided to see America from ground level. Something relaxing and scenic. So I booked a cross country Amtrak journey for November 1st. From North Carolina to D.C., across to Chicago, then on the Empire Builder to PDX (overnight here), down the Coastal Starlight to Emeryville and onto the California Zephyr back to Chicago, onwards to DC and back to NC. I have a sleeper for the 3 biggest legs of the trip and coach for the short distance overnights. I am wondering if there is any advice or comments on things I should expect to see, should not miss doing, want to bring along to do while on a trip like this? THANKS rail fans!

------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some DVDs make the evenings fun when there's nothing to see out the window.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Sounds like a great trip planned! I would suggest reading some of the travelogues from this forum, particularly on th routes you'll be taking. Advice: don't be upset if there are problems; don't let little things detract from your enjoyment of the trip. I went with the attitude that things would go wrong (toilets not cleaned, etc) and of course some things did go wrong; nevertheless, if you have some good books, can be a bit social, then you'll love the trip. Take a deck of UNO cards to share in the lounge; take some snacks (otherwise it gets expensive); keep a journal of what you see and experience. Just enjoy what so many Americans refuse to enjoy: time to meditate and just allow time to pass while watching what is around you. That's the best part of being on a train, I think. You don't say how long you are staying in any one place, except for PDX. Does this mean you are not overnighting? Have you considered the North American Rail pass as an alternative? It might be cheaper this time of year. I would take time (at least a few hours if not days)_ to enjoy Chicago. When in Seattle, walk down from the Amtrak station to Pike Street Market, the greatest place in the city. You have to see it.
Empire builder is a good train. I enjoyed both my trips very much. I would go first class on the Coast Starlight so you can sit in the comfy and unique Pacific Parlour Car.
That's all I can think of. I'm sure the other guys and gals will have plenty of suggestions.
Scott

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What train are you taking from Washington DC to Chicago? The choices are the Capitol Ltd or the Cardinal -- the Cardinal has better scenery, but it only runs 3 days a week -- the New River Gorge is spectacular and should be beautiful that time of year! (The Cardinal goes through the Gorge along the New and Kanawha Rivers). There won't be much to see on the Empire Builder until you get to Glacier Park, where the mountains begin, but unfortunately, that time of year it might be dark by the time you get to the mountains traveling westbound.

The final morning of your trip on the EB, you will go through the Columbia River Gorge along the Columbia -- that is a very pretty part of the trip also.

Southbound on the Coast Starlight, you will go through the Cascade Mountains shortly after you leave Eugene, but it may be dark by the time you get there in November. The next morning on the CS, however, you will be traveling through the Central Valley of Calfornia, which is pretty.

Returning east on the California Zephyr, you will go through both the Sierra Nevada Mountains (first day) and the Rockies (second day) during daylight hours, and both sections are very beautiful. Grab a seat in the Sightseer Lounge early on the 2nd day to enjoy the scenery through the Rockies!! On the California part of that trip, there is usually a guide from the California Railroad Museum giving a narrated travelogue through the Sierra Nevada Mountains between Sacramento, CA, and Reno, NV.

Enjoy your trip! Tell us all about it when you get back!

--Rich

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS! for all the incredible information. The trains I'll be on are as follows: The Crescent, the Capital Limited, Empire Builder, Coastal Starlight, California Zephyr, again on the Capital Limited and Crescent. I did try and calculate sunrise and sunset and unfortunately it gets dark around 5:30pm but the sun comes up around 6:30am. QUESTION? Is there anything I need to know special about sleeper accomodations and what 'perks' come with it? I am SO psyched about this trip. I am sure it will be incredible :-)
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In sleeper class all your meals are free with the room. Also you can take showers.If you are traveling alone A standard room is big enough for one person. I took the zephyr from chicago to emryville. Service was great.

[This message has been edited by wiking2 (edited 10-03-2003).]

Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your meals are not "free" - they are *included* in the price. Big distinction! You still have to pay for alcoholic beverages though - I'm quite partial to the White Zinfandel myself. We only get the E&J rubbish in the UK, along with one or two others, nothing like even the Amtrak stuff (what brand is it?). You do get snacks and drinks included, usually a help-yourself affair (coke, cookies, coffee, juice etc).

In sleeper you will get a narrow bunk with a nice feather/down pillow (full size). Perhaps a slightly worn/lumpy mattress. Duct tape is apprently good for stopping any squeaking doors or latches, but I find a sock is equally useful.

I disagree with the DVD. Evenings are a great chance to meet and talk with other passengers. Shutting yourself away with a DVD - or even watching it with one or two others - is not the way to meet people.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a real exciting trip, you should have alot of fun. LOL, I agree with Geoff on the DVD thing the people that take Amtrak are always fairly friendly. Since your tlaking so many different routes, some are nice and some are OK. It depends what you like in terms of scenary. The coast starlight is alot of ocean, The Lake SHore LIMited I like because it goes through soo many cool east coast sights.
ALL ABOARD!

-Anton
pillsbury09@excite.com

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Geoffm mentioned above, bring some duct tape.

It'll help silence many squeaks and strange noises in your sleeping compartments -- which, trust me, will drive you crazy in the middle of the night.

It's also the #1 remedy for Amtrak's famous shrunken window curtains, which typically need to be stretched somewhat and fastened into place. Without duct tape to hold them in position, you're liable to find bright lights from passing towns, factories, and railroad yards disturbing your sleep all night long.

When riding in coach, choose your seat carefully. Some are more comfortable than others. Those toward the center of the car will give you a somewhat smoother ride. And avoid sitting near travelers who have infants or toddlers. Hour after hour of intermittent crying and temper tantrums can make your trip a real drag.

Note that many "window" seats don't align very well with the windows themselves. Pick the wrong seat, and you'll have to lean far forward to peek out at the passing landscape. In some cars, several seats are positioned so badly that you'll have a lovely view of the car wall.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree with the White Zinfandel. A train trip is a great time to 'dry out'.

Shutting yourself away with a bottle - or even drinking with one or two others is not the way enjoy an Amtrak vacation.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always throw in a few clothes pins along with the duct tape. They can come in handy for a lot of things. One good use is to keep the curtains together at night.

Have a great trip!

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also disagree with the white zin. Mainly because I prefer the cabernet. At $8 for a half bottle, it is one of the joys of train travel IMHO. A half bottle over the course of an evening is nowhere near enough to affect the great socialization on The Train.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
...The coast starlight is alot of ocean,...

Not on the portion dmwnc1959 will be taking. The "Coast" part of the Starlight is mostly in Southern California, with a bit in the San Francisco Bay Area. Elsewhere it runs mostly inland.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Room Service:
I disagree with the White Zinfandel. A train trip is a great time to 'dry out'.

Shutting yourself away with a bottle - or even drinking with one or two others is not the way enjoy an Amtrak vacation.

That was a little childish really - I'd have thought better of you, RoomService.

As it happens, I meant *with the meal*. It's not as if I chuck down gallons of the stuff. In any case, when I'm on Amtrak, I'm on holiday/vacation so I deserve to have a half bottle!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
AMAZING responses from ALL of you. I am very greatful! I did read somewhere that if I get sandwiches and other snacks from the Lounge Car that I also do not have to pay for those either? Can anyone confirm or deny that?
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

I believe that the lounge car service instead of dining car service has stopped recently. If you want anything from the lounge car you will have to pay. The reason is because the diner gets in enough food for X number of people which they cannot re-use, and taking food from the lounge car is extra revenue loss.

Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page