RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak's New Website

Author Topic: Amtrak's New Website
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was pleasantly surprised when I went to check on a train's status yesterday. The page opened up with a big picture of the wave logo, and info on the new site below it. I was then redirected to a brand-new home page with everything completely redesigned.
After exploring the site for awhile, I found it easier to use, more customer friendly, and containing better graphics than the original website. I give Amtrak a big 10 on this one!!!

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 07-30-2001).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was a nice site also. I am glad to see that they got rid of a lot of pictures, so that the pages load faster.

I wish that the date would not default back to the current date each time I look up a train. I look up the status of a lot of trains, and each time, I have to put in the date. It used to be that it would remember the date.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the fast fare finder on the front page. Save a lot of clicking.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.. this page is a huge improvement over the last one. I think it's well spent money. Everything from the new look, to easier navigation to the fare finder on the home page is a huge improvement. They obviously looked at other webpages and saw what worked. Greyhound has had the fare finder on the home page for a while now. With the improvements to Amtrak's page, I'd say Amtrak's is now the better of the two.

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the Amtrak's New Website, I have found that there was no Order Brochures on that New Website. How do You order Brochures from the Amtrak's New Website?
Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try "Contact Us" to order brochures. For the Manassas Ry. Festival in June, the Va. Assn. of Ry. Patrons wanted Amtrak materials to distribute. I went to the Alexandria station, picked out the things from the rack that I thought would be useful, and called a number given me by the ticket agent. The person who answered gave me to another person, who didn't know where we could get schedules. In desperation, I sent an e-mail using "Contact Us" (this was on the old website). To my surprise, I had a reply the next day and, a few days after that, boxes of stuff at my house via UPS. We had plenty for the Manassas festival, for a speaking engagement I had in July, and almost enough for the upcoming Culpeper RR festival--we had to order some more Cardinal and Crescent stuff for that.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve I went to the Amtrak's new website and went to the contact us just like you said. I have found that you have to type in your name, Email Address, Mailing Address 1, Mailing Address 2, City, State, Zip/Postal Code, Country, Phone Number, Topic or category, subject, Your Message.

Now do I have to Type in My Name, Email Address, Mailing Address1, Mailing Address 2,
City, State, Zip/Postal Code, Country, Phone Number, Topic or Category, Subject, Your Message to order Brochures?

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All that to order brochures? I guess so. I haven't fully explored the new site yet so I don't know of any place on the site especially for ordering schedules etc.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When AMTRAK developed the new site, they conveniently neglected to include my NARP number in my profile. I tried to update my profile with both my NARP number and my Guest Rewards number several times with NO LUCK.

I followed their instructions two or three times without success.

So, I am not pleasantly surprised with the new website.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page