RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My Old Timetables And The Early Days of Amtrak

Author Topic: My Old Timetables And The Early Days of Amtrak
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning I was inspired to pull out my box full old Amtrak timetables and put them in order. I suppose it's due to my recent writing about traveling by Amtrak and my experiences with Amtrak in general through the years.

I wonder how much value my old Amtrak timetables might have. I also have many timetables from the days before Amtrak. The oldest timetable I have is one issued by The Pennsylvania Railroad timetable in 1937.

Here are my Amtrak timetables, from the earliest to the most recent:

July 12, 1971

January 16, 1972

April 29, 1973 (Agent's Edition)

May 16, 1974

May 16, 1975

November 30, 1975

October 31, 1976

October 1 to October 27, 1979 - special timetable effective for one month only pending Congressional and state approval of certain new trains and new routes

October 30, 1983 - April 23, 1984 (2 copies)

April 1, 1990 - October 27, 1990 (2 copies)

October 25, 1992 - April 3, 1983

Spring/Summer 1993 Northeast Timetable (3 copies - These timetables were not printed on glossy paper, perhaps to cut costs. Their cover designs are relatively dull. They are also the first timetables I have in which Amtrak's Northeast services are presented in a separate booklet from national system.)

Spring/Summer 1993 National Timetable - (2 copies - These booklets were printed on plain heavy paper too and did not include Northeast corridor trains. The timetables due out at the end of this month maybe the first issued since 1993 or earlier that include all Amtrak trains.)

Thanksgiving Holiday Timetable, November 23-29, 1993 (Northeast Corridor, Keystone Service, Empire Service. Black & white booklet.)

Fall/Winter 1993/1994 Northeast Timetable Revised Edition, February 14 - April 30, 1994

Spring/Summer 1994 National Timetable (2 Copies)

Spring/Summer 1994 Northeast Timetable (2 Copies)

Fall/Winter National Timetable 1995-1996

Fall/Winter Northeast Timetable 1995/1996

Spring/Summer National Timetable April - October 1996

Spring/Summer Northeast Timetable May 17, 1998

Fall/Winter 1999-2000 Northeast Timetable

Fall 1999/Winter 2000 National Timetable

Fall 2000 - Winter 2001 Timetable/Northeast Corridor

Fall 2000 - Winter 2001 Timetable/National Corridor

Amtrak National Timetable Spring/Summer 2003

Amtrak Northeast Timetable Spring/Summer 2003 (Will this be the last separate Northeast Timetable?)

Additional Amtrak Publications:

Amtrak's Guide to Riding The Adirondack - issued 9/1974 - in English and French, with illustrated map and timetable.

The Montrealer and The Adirondack Route Guide - issued 12/1975 - with descrriptions of highlights to be found at stops en route - also includes photos and fold-out map showing the routes of both trains.

Amtrak's America "Discover The Magic" 1993 - All Aboard Amtrak! - The On Board Experience - Amtrak's Great American Vacations - Traveling By Train - Travel Tips & Services

Ski Amtrak 1993 - 1994 - Best In The West (and now the East too!)
Individual Schedule Cards - Spring/Summer 1994 - Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, Adirtondack, Montrealer, Crescent, Pennsylvanian, Cardinal, Broadway Limited.

Amtrak Florida Service Timetable - Fall/Winter 1994/1995 - Carolinian, Palmetto, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Sunset Limited, Auto Train, Cross Florida Bus/Train Service.

Subsequent Musings:

1971 - This is the second ever Amtrak timetable. It is divided sections including NYC based short haul trains; Philadelphia-Harrisburg trains; NYC based long haul trains; Washington based long haul trains; Washington and Norfolk to Cincinnati and Chicago; Chicago based short haul trains; Chicago based long haul trains to the west and south; New Orleans-Los Angeles; West Coast trains; and trains operated by other railroads.

Inside cover notes state that daily thru service between Boston, Springfield, and NYC via Worcestor was offered for the first time in more than 10 years under Section 403 of the Rail Passenger Act of 1970. Daily trains also were operated between Chicago and New York via Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Albany as a result of Section 403. A new 'experimental' service was introduced thrice-weekly between Minneapolis and Spokane via St. Cloud, Bismarck, Billings, Butte, and Missoula, and this train connected with the existing Empire Builder at both Minneapolis and Spokane, and both trains called at Fargo, interestingly enough. The notes point out that all intercity rail services were included in a single timetable. Perhaps this timetable represented a first.

A new thru Amtrak service was offered with no change of cars from Chicago to Miami and St. Petersburg via Indiananapolis and Louisville. One could take a train from Indianapolis in any one of five directions at the time - to Chicago; to Dayton, Pittsburgh, and New York; to Cincinnati, Charleston, and Washington; to Florida; and to Kansas City via St. Louis.

Amtrak reached an agreement with both Greyhound and Trailways Bus Lines, which will honor Amtrak tickets between any two cities served by both Amtrak and either of the bus lines.

Amtrak used both Central Station and Union Staion in Chicago when this timetable was issued.

The Texas Chief had a dome lounge and operated daily between Chicago, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Ft. Worth, and Houston, with a notation that the Ft. Worth-Houston segment was to be shifted from the Temple, TX route to the Dallas-Waxahachie route as soon as possible.

There was a Washington section of The Broadway Limited, and it operated from Washington Union Station via Baltimore, MD and Safe Harbor, MD to Pittsburgh, where it was combined with the New York section of the Broadway Limited. The Broadway was Train 49 at the time.

The Coast Starlight was thrice-weekly, but the Oakland-LA segment operated daily. There were two daily LA-San Diego trains and one that operated thrice-weekly on various days except Thursdays. One of the daily San Diego trains had a lounge car.

There were dome sleepers and dome coaches on the Empire Builder and the unamed 'experimental' train via Butte. There was a dome lounge on the un-named thrice weekly train 1-101 between Chicago, Cheyenne, Ogden and Oakland. Train No. 1, The Denver Zephyr, ran daily between Chicago and Denver, and it had slumbercoaches. Were these cars shifted to the Florida trains and some of the East Coast-Chicago trains later on?

The Southern Railways' Southern Crescent had a dome car between Atlanta and New Orleans, and a dome car on its trains No. 3 and 4 between Salisbury and Asheville.

The Georgia Railroad operated a daily service between Augusta GA to its own station in Atlanta, GA. The ride took 3 hours and 45 minutes.

The City of New Orleans had what was listed as a diner-counter-lounge.

The Chicago, Rock Island & Peoria had trains to both Peoria and Rock Island. The trains had coaches, club diners, and parlor cars.

The Super Chief/El Capitan had every amenity of a full service long distance train but there is no specific mention of a any sort of bi-level equipment or a dome car.

The NYC-Florida trains featured 'Tavern Cars' and a Bar-Lounge-Sleeper. Metroliners required from 3 hours flat to 3 hours and five minutes to make the Washington, DC-NY-Penn Station run, much the same as today.

Grand Central Terminal had Amtrak trains departing to Hartford and Springfield. Sometimes a change was required not in New Haven but in Hartford to reach Springfield. One of the trains left GCT at the very early hours of 4:40 AM. These days, GCT is locked from 1:30 AM to 5:30 AM to prevent the homeless from congregrating in the station overnight.

Amtrak also operated a weekday commuter service between New London and New Haven and v.v., much like CDOT's present Shoreline East service. The Amtrak New London-New Haven commuter train, however, ran just once in each direction in 1971.

Many sample fares were provided: Boston-Washington Coach $12.75, Parlor Car $19.37; NYC-Washington in coach $13.00, regular parlor car/drawing room $23.40 (with $3.15 for each additional person), Metroliner coach $17.00, Metroliner 'Metroclub' $27.40; New York-Miami coach $59.01, roomette $112.85; Chicago-Los Angeles coach $86.75, roomette $123.05; Los Angeles-San Francisco coach $16.00, roomette $25.00; Los Angeles-San Diego $4.75.

The January 1972 timetable was presented in an extensive 'quick reference' airline style format. Train connections between most major city combinations were provided. Detailed timetables in column format were also included in the back pages. This timetable has an ad for Amtrak on page 29 that says, "We've (Amtrak) Rejected 2 Out Of Every 3 Cars You Used To Ride on the Railroad" The ad continues to explain that, "there were 3000 passeneger cars in service when Amtrak took over last May (1971). We examined them all. We tested the ride and the brakes. Checked the doors, the seats, the lighting. Some of you know what kind of shape these cars were in because you used to ride them. So you won't be surprised that we decided only 1200 were good enough for the kind of service we want to give you in the future. Most of them are stainless steel. All of them are air conditioned."

The 1974 'All America' Timetable has a system of train type icons. The train icons denote whether a train was all-reserved and if it was a Metroliner; a Turboliner (Chicago-St. Louis), a Silverliner (Philadelphia-Harrisburg), or if it had equipment like a Dome Car (for the Empire Builder a Great Dome was specified), as well as icons meaning Diner, Club Car, Tray Food at your seat, a Snack Car, or a Baggage Car. Other symbols meant that express package service or 'economy' express package service, car rental agencies, and connecting bus were available. In this timetable all the footnotes were grouped together on two pages. There are many.

The overnight Montrealer/Washingtonian trains appear in this schedule, as does a TH&B connection between Buffalo, NY and Toronto. Along with The Night Owl, a thru Boston-Harrisburg Valley Forge service also is shown, plus an 'experimental' train between Washington and Cumberland, MD, and a brand new service from St. Louis to Laredo, TX/Nuevo Laredo, Mexico via Dallas, Ft. Worth, and Austin.

There also are Amtrak trains shown operating from Chicago to Dubuque, IA using an RDC, and another from Chicago to Quincy, IL using bi-level coaches.

The Texas Chief appears in this timetable as the Lone Star, and it still runs via Temple, TX and Brenham, TX into Houston, rather than through Waxahachie as earlier July, 1971 timetable promised. The one stop between Temple and Houston is listed as Belleville Yard.

The City of New Orleans is called The Panama Limited in this timetable. Why was the name changed?

A new route between Sandpoint, ID and Everett, WA via Wenatchee is shown. On the timetable's system map, trains appear to make 'side treks' into Madison, WI and Helena, MT. A closer look at the actual timetable shows service to these places is provided by bus connections from the closest train stops.

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the "experimental" train from Minneapolis to Spokane the "North Coast Hiawatha"? As I remember, in the early 70's the above mentioned train followed the ex-Northern Pacific North Coast Limited route daily MSP-Seattle. The schedule had it's advantages over the EB in that the Montana mountain scenery was in the daytime. It also offered alternate times from the EB schedule MSP-CHI. When this train was discontinued, the EB was rerouted through St. Cloud instead of Wilmar.

The merger of NP and Great Northern resulted in the ex-GN line becoming the best maintained of the 2 transcontinental mainlines, faster but in less populated regions. Having traveled both, I really miss the old NP route.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twin Star Rocket - I too miss the old NP "North Coast Hiawatha" route. 2 years before AMTRAK (1969), I rode the old North Coast Limited from Chicago to Livingston, MT, when I worked in Yellowstone Park that summer as a college student (the route went west from Chicago through Savannah and Galena, IL, then up the Mississippi River, on a more southerly approach to the Twin Cities than any past or present AMTRAK routings). That had been the first train trip I had taken since I was a very young child, when we used to travel from Chicago to South Bend, IN, to visit my grandparents. I still have never forgotten my experience on the North Coast Ltd in 1969, and I have since ridden the AMTRAK North Coast Hiawatha a couple times during the first couple years of AMTRAK, before it was discontinued. While the Empire Builder is also a nice scenic ride, I do still miss the Hiawatha route.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dnsommer:
The City of New Orleans is called The Panama Limited in this timetable. Why was the name changed?

Amtrak was sick of people calling 1-800-USA-RAIL and asking for train tickets to Panama.

Seriously, in the pre-Amtrak days, the Panama Limited was the Illinois Central's overnight train on the Chicago-New Orleans route, and the City of New Orleans was the IC's daytime counterpart. Amtrak ended up keeping the overnight train, and kept the Panama Limited name...but thanks to a certain song written by Steve Goodman and made famous by Arlo Guthrie, the City of New Orleans became more well-known, so Amtrak switched to the more famous name in the early '80s.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page