RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Boarding The Empire Builder

Author Topic: Boarding The Empire Builder
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never taken a trip long distance on a train. I live in Milwaukee. I want to go on the Empire Builder out to Spokane but was wondering it I should book my trip starting in Chicago or pick up the train in Milwaukee. Does it make a difference? Also that long of a trip how would it be in coach or should I look into a sleeper.

Thank you for any help.
Bill

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a sleeper if you can afford it.

Amtrak coaches are comfortable, but their appeal definitely wears off after ten hours or so. Sooner if the train is crowded.

And getting a good night's sleep in a coach seat is next to impossible unless you're under the age of 12.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 10-19-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes. . .

As for whether to leave from Milwaukee or Chicago:

With a sleeper, it doesn't matter. But if you opt for coach, it might.

Unless the crew decides to assign specific seats, you'll be free to choose your own. Board the train in Chicago and you'll have more choices. Board in Milwaukee, especially during heavy passenger periods, and you could find all the window seats gone.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 10-19-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll echo Dilly: get the sleeper, even if you have to save up for it It's the only way to go on a long distance train. Remember, the food is then free!
I love the Empire Builder. Took it twice, both enjoyable trips. The scenery isn't spectacular until towards the end of the second day; nevertheless, I enjoyed the 'big sky country' of Montana, and was surprised that there were lakes in North Dakota. Yep, a nice trip. Take a novel to read and be socialable and you'll have a great time!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally concur with the previous comments, but will add a few personal modifications.

Coach is fine for one night if you're on a budget, but you probably won't sleep much, especially the first time. (It gets easier the more you do it.) A sleeper is definitely better, though. For trips covering more than one night, definitely get a sleeper.

Sleeper prices for a standard bedroom are pretty good these days, but book early as they often sell out.

Coach seats offer gobs of legroom, and there is plenty of space to recline without putting your seat back in someone's face. You get a leg rest, a foot rest, a fold down tray table and a small airline style pillow.

Food in a sleeper isn't exactly "free." It is included in the sleeper price. It is worth about $30-$40 per day per person. So figure that in when calculating the price difference for sleepers and coach. If you ride coach and take at least some of your meals from the pre-packaged stuff in the lounge cafe, you can save some money, too, but it isn't nearly as good as the freshly cooked meals in the diner.

Following the KISS principle, I suggest you leave from the station nearest your home.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 10-20-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page