RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A little video!

Author Topic: A little video!
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I uploaded a short video I shot last month of the Coast Starlight in north Monterey County. Here's the link: http://members.aol.com/toysontrax/Amtrak11northmoco.wmv It requires Windows Media Player or another program that will play WMV files. It is 47 seconds, and is about 589kb, so it should work OK with a dial-up connection.

I set the digital camera on a tripod to shoot video, while I hand held my film camera to take still photos.

It was shot near milepost 99.1 where there is a detector. I had my scanner on my belt and the microphone clearly picked up the initial detector report as the train approaches. The final detector report is drowned out by the train sounds but if you listen carefully you can make out some of the details. I had the scanner on my belt and I think I turned it away from the digital camera's microphone while I was busy shooting with my film camera. Oops.

A few things to note: The train has two Sightseer Lounge cars and no Parlour Car. The detector report can be heard as the first lounge begins to pass the camera.

At the rear of the train are two UP business cars.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 10-21-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VERY cool! Thanks for sharing this. I am going on this same train in about 2 weeks and am so excited! It is part of my 9-day cross country Amtrak journey that starts Nov 1. :-)
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good video, Mr. Toy! What were the two yellow private cars on the end?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was a cool video. Thanks for sharing it. What kind of camera and software did you use?
Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this all summer, unfortunately I don't have web space and most of them were at night. I did get some great horn calls. I also have a video of 199 from March... Her original nose.
I also took film photos at the same time. The resolution on my camera isn't all that great, and with sound a 60 second video takes 6 MB- any way around this?

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page