RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Terrorism Security Issues

Author Topic: Amtrak Terrorism Security Issues
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After seeing how that college kid was able to smuggle those weapons upon two airplanes, Im just wondering what you think Amtrak has and will do to prevent something like this from happening?
Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be boarding the Starlight Friday packin' my pocket knife. I'll let you know if I get through security at Chico, CA.
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak will be doing absolutely nothing to prevent box cutters onto their trains. In fact, you can pack your shotgun in your suitcase in your room, and Amtrak would not know about it unless you pulled it out.

That's why I prefer Amtrak.... The bad guys have no idea who is armed.....

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, MikeSmith, do you really give me a chance of passing through Amtrak security at Chico, CA, with my pocket knife? Well, Friday, I'm going to try to do it. I'm sneaking my Swiss Army Knife (a Camper model, with that cork-screw and all) on board. If I succeed, readers of this board will be the first to know (unless, of course, a tabloid offers me mucho dinero for an exclusive on the shortcomings of Amtrak security).
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zephyr, I'll allow you to be cleaning your finger nails with your swiss army knife as you board Amtrak, and they won't say a thing to you about the knife......

If anyone does say anything to ya, tell them Mike said it is OK,

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zephyr, mikesmith is correct. There is no pre-boarding security checks for passengers and their luggage. You may see a few signs regarding restricted items but there is no attempt made to enforce them. In fact, even though the tickets read "ID required", I have never been asked for my ID.
Amtrak could and should do a much better job. Afterall, they have their own police force.
Fortunately, on board crime is not a major problem on Amtrak trains. mikesmith makes a good point, "the bad guys have no idea who is armed", may actually serve as a deterrent.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who knows, you might even be dining with Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid on your next trip.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CK:
In fact, even though the tickets read "ID required", I have never been asked for my ID.
[/B]

I have been asked for my ID, but only once, in the northeast. Never in California.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I work with the Train Attendants on Amtrak on a regular basis over the summer until i can be hired as a conductor. I am able to bored with a Leatherman on my belt and clearly visible to all, i have not been told once that i was not allowed to have it ,and i make about 10-15 runs over the whole length of the route both ways.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I carry my Swiss Army knife on my keyring,and ride the San Diegan fairly often.I have never had any problems.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no doubt that all of us could smuggle our pocket knives on board, but my concern is for more dangerous weapons, such as guns and bombs. I know a train is on a track but it is still a very deadly weapon. Also it seems like an excellent high-jacking situation waiting to happen
Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hijacking".....what would the motive be ? It's on rails :-)
I think an attempt to derail or sabotage a tunnel or bridge would be more of an area of concern.

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 10-22-2003).]

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 10-22-2003).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

CK wrote: "zephyr, mikesmith is correct. There is no pre-boarding security checks for passengers and their luggage."

That's hard to believe.

Not the part about Mike being correct. He's one of my favorites on this board. And, besides, he's given me his personal OK to pack Ole Red.

But the part about no pre-boarding security checks? Well, maybe not at those Amtrak stations you frequent. But if you review my previous posts, I'm boarding at Chico.

Chi-co (cheee'ko)n. A small town in Northern California.

14 arrives at 1:55 am, 11 scheduled for 3:50 am, and is real, real late 99.99% of the time. Now, what kind of people do you suppose will go through that kind of endurance test to hop on a train? Certifiable lunatics, obviously (present party excluded, thank you). So, if the objective is to keep crazies off the train, don't you think Amtrak will pull out all the stops on security checks at Cheee-ko. Heck, I'd body search them all (present party excepted, with Mike's OK).

Seriously, I think we should put this security thing in perspective. Jees, someone could also rig my car with a bomb, but I'm not inclined to buy a highly trained bomb-sniffing canine to check it out every time I want to take a drive. Heck, I'm just glad on those rare occassions when it starts. And I appreciate Amtrak not going overboard on security.

[This message has been edited by zephyr (edited 10-22-2003).]

zephyr
Member # 1651

Wow, I just discovered something about this forum. Apparently "d-o-g" is considered a bad word. In my previous post, I typed bomb-sniffing *** , but got *** . Try it-it's fun. I wonder what other words are bad.

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's level of security is about the same as any bus service in America, maybe better since Amtrak has a police force. Could definitely be better, though. But I don't think they need the same level of security as the airlines do.

I was asked for ID just once, boarding the Starlight in Salinas last March. The conductor wouldn't let us step on the train until we showed him our ID. Didn't happen on the return trip.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding highjacking a train.....

I'm mostly sure that if someone saw a group of people building a railway to the front door of the Library Tower in LA, there would be some questions asked.....

Also... Zephyr..... have you ever ridden coach? I think Amtrak encourages "crazies" to ride coach...

zephyr
Member # 1651

Mike, well, yeh, I have ridden coach. Just, you know, once in a while. Well, maybe 50% of my long distance trips. Are you saying that makes me.....nah, you aren't implying that, are you?
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Zephyr, you don't have to worry about bringing your pocket knife on board, no problemo....but, don't bring a stash of mj or any other illegal drug. If you're an immigrant, make sure you have your papers. DEA and immigration agents are frequently found on trains and at stations. I've had more than one passenger taken off the train by them.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

*** gone it, I give up. Some of you folks take things much too seriously. Listen, I've boarded Amtrak trains on 13 occassions this calender year. I'm fully aware packin' my pocket knife is no problemo. Besides, if they were to inspect Ole Red, they would immediately see it is absolutely harmless. The blades are so dull that it poses as much threat to my fellow passengers as my fishing pole poses to fish. We're talking here about zilcho nada security threat.

So let's move on to more serious matters. See y'all over at the "Secret Tricks on Trains" thread.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page