RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroad Atlas??

Author Topic: Railroad Atlas??
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there such a thing like a railroad atlas for the USA showing Amtrak and fright routes? If there is does anyone know where I could get one? I have tried some local bookstores but have not been able to find one.
Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this one at my local library and can be purchased online at http://www.deskmap.com/rr_mapping/atlas.html

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rand McNally has a much cheaper one, which may not show as much detail as the one dmwnc1959 linked to. The Rand McNally one should be available in bookstores -- try one of the larger chains like Books A Million or Barnes & Noble and check the "travel" section. If they don't have it in stock, they should be able to order it for you.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MapLink publishes a large, detailed map that shows all active (and a few "out of service") railroads of the US. Amtrak routes are highlighted in yellow.

I bought this map ($8) at Bookstar, but I believe it is available at other large bookstores.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steam Powered Video's Railroad Atlas of North America is well worth the money. There are about 14 volumes, each covering a few states (varying from 1 for the whole of Texas, and 1 for most of New England!). They show ownership, previous ownership, Amtrak usage, and lines now closed. Also, junction names, stations, sometimes elevations (if high), detectors, major bridges and tunnels, etc.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
Steam Powered Video's Railroad Atlas of North America is well worth the money.

I agree the SPV atlases are excellent. The "revised" New England one includes maritime provinces in Canada.

There are some gaps, though; several upper midwestern states (Minnesota, the Dakotas, etc) are not yet published.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:
MapLink publishes a large, detailed map that shows all active (and a few "out of service") railroads of the US. Amtrak routes are highlighted in yellow.

I bought this map ($8) at Bookstar, but I believe it is available at other large bookstores.

I think this might be the map you're talking about...

http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/store/strProductDetail.jsp?OID=17281&POID=-1073752137

I found it at a Rand McNally mall store, but two store employees had to help me figure out where it was. (Turned out it was in the middle of a display box of various folding maps.) This is probably all the "casual" railfan needs, and it's very nice to have on an Amtrak trip.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trainman1:
[B] I think this might be the map you're talking about...

Yes, that is the map. Now $10, but it has a wealth if information for a single map. It also includes an alphabetical list of AAR reporting marks.

dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first saw the ads for the SPV Rail Atlases, I thought I would want all of them. I'm really into maps. But when I checked them out at a railroad show bookstall I was deisappointed. Why? I want a map that shows past and present rail lines and interstates, primary roads, secondary roads, cities, towns, villages, lakes, and mountains. The SPV maps don't, unless I'm mistaken. I still like the state Gazeteers and Atlases, though I'm not sure if they're available for every state. They show everything, including hiking trails. What they don't show are the ownership histories of rail lines, e.g. 'CSX (DL&W-PC-CR)'; SPV maps do. I suppose the SPV maps also show railroad frequencies and other info railfans want. They are popular. I still wish SPV maps were overlaid on topos.

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all who have been giving me some good ideas. I been trying to locate some of these to take a look at them. I did find a sight for the SVP Atlas. They were not what I expected. You can see a sample page hear if you have never seen one. http://www.spv.co.uk/acatalog/atlas_example.htm
Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no commercial maps that "have it all", with topo detail + history of lines. Some railfans publish guides to various areas that take this approach, but you'll have to seek them out.

As for SPV, check out local model RR stores, they might stock the atlases. Mine does (All Aboard in Torrance, CA); I bought every SPV atlas there.

As for state gazeteers, DeLorme has now mapped every state. A competitor, Benchmark, has also done the same thing. Other companies provide local atlases in various regions.

The older DeLorme books' maps look like true topo maps. The newer ones now use computerized graphics. They still have road detail, contour lines, etc., and have added detail maps for cities, but some of the rail lines are drawn awkwardly.

For historic info, check out antique stores, flea markets, thrift shops...I have found some real treasures there. Best find to date was a late 1930s coffee-table size atlas, with separate map for each state, for $3. Good condition too!

MP

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the SPV atlases would become very crowded and unreadable if roads were added. I see the advantage, but for that you need a finer scale map.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given a free weekend you can take one of the detailed maps that show rail lines and a really good large folding road map (say from AAA) and draw in and make your own complete map that shows everything. I did it and it was quite a challenge but amazingly fun. It got me more familiarized with the routes I am taking, the cities that I will be going through, and rivers I will be crossing.
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, I would buy one as someone reccomended, But here is an amtrak one for free to start with....
http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/national.pdf

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page