RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » ANOTHER ???????

Author Topic: ANOTHER ???????
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reading all these postings here on Trainweb, I see a phrase from time to time which I do not know what it means. Can someone please tell me what WIG WAGS are? I think it has something to do with the tracks, but I am not sure.

I would appreciate it if someone can clarify that term to me.

Thanks

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure those are the old style crossing signals. Instead of two side by side flashing lights, the wig wag had one light that swung like a clock pendulum. I remember those from when I was a kid.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are exactly right, Mr. Toy. They are very rare indeed and may all be taken out. There is one on display at a school on Farnham St in Galesburg, IL., near an overpass over the old AT&SF mainline. Once upon a time, most, if not all, of the Santa Fe road crossings in Galesburg had that type of warning device.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wigwags? Here is a site you might find interesting. They monitor the location and condition of remaining wigwags. There is a detailed listing by state & location.
http://www.trainweb.org/dansrailpix/WIG_WAG_PAGE1c.htm

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MPALMER-- I just wanted to thank you for posting a link to a very interesting site. I found it to be very interesting and informative. Thanks again for that link.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page