RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » OTHER EATING OPTIONS?????????????

Author Topic: OTHER EATING OPTIONS?????????????
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know if a person books a sleeper or delux room on a long distance train and he wishes to forgo eating in the dining car for whatever reason, does he have the option then to obtain his meals from the lounge car in lieu of the dining car?

Now I know that a lot of you would ask, "Why would a person book passage in a sleeper if he/she is not going to enjoy his meals in the Dining car. After all, that is usually a big part of the trip that is factored in when booking a sleeper, other than having more Privacy"

Off the top of my head, I can think of one good reason one might have to opt for lounge car meals rather than meals from the Dining Car. The passenger might have the beginnings of a cold and really doesnt feel like dealing with other passengers during his/her cross country trip back home. He/she might just want to spend the total time in bed resting up and trying to get better. Not to mention avoiding the possibility of spreading his cold to other passengers he/she might come in contact otherwise.

Does anyone happen to know just how this option would work?

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to settle for lounge car food. Sleeping car attendants will deliver dining car meals to your room.

All you have to do is ask and be willing to wait a while. Don't forget to tip.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up until this year you could take your included meals from the lounge cafe. The attendant recorded your car and room number. But last time I rode they no longer allowed that. Perhaps too many coach passengers were scamming the system.

You can still get food there, you just have to pay for it. Since sleeper fares seem to have gone down of late, I think it is a small sacrifice.

As an alternative, if you want to eat in your room, ask the attendant if he or she can bring a diner meal to you.

I understand why you might want to do this. My wife and I have done so on occasion when we weren't hungry enough for a full diner meal and just wanted a little quiet time in our room, or just wanted something a little different.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 10-25-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I never knew that you could have your meals delivered to your room on the trip. If you were traveling on the CZ from CHI to EMY and you gave your car attendant $200.00 when you first boarded the train, whast do you think your chances are of getting all of your meals delivered to your room without any reminders for the entire trip?
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for $200 I'd deliver your meals from my house.
Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll do one better....for $200.00 I'll cook your meals and deliver them from my house
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eating in the dining car is one of the best parts of traveling on a long distance train.

Don't eat meals in your room if you don't have to.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gather round children and I'll tell you a tiny story.

My dad was feeling sick from no body knows what, but he started getting nausea in the dining car at Dinner, and he looked awful and had to bolt out of the Dinning Car back to a bathroom to do what most people have to when a sick stomach mixed with a rocking train come together.
Not a good night for him as he and his flu continued from Austin to San Antonio, and on thru the trip.
So if your not feeling good in the stomach, and you think you should stay in the room, do it, because you dont want to be around the food, with the train rocking back and forth.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovesatq
Member # 2691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lovesatq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's funny...I just got back just last week from a cross country trip (CA. to Boston) and back and on both trains, CZ and LSL, we were able to obtain food in the cafe lounge free no questions asked since we had a deluxe sleeper. My daughter and I found that we just couldn't eat all three meals in the dining car....too much food with no activity. I must say we loved the experience of meeting some of the nicest people while dining. I wonder what Amtrak's official policy is on this point?
Posts: 9 | From: Benicia, CA, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my May 2002 trip, I caught the intestinal bug that was running rampant on the Coast Starlight. It showed up around 3:00 am out of LA on the Sunset Limited.

Anyway, I HAD to be within 20 seconds of a bathroom for the rest of the trip. That's all the warning I got!

I skipped breakfast and decided on trying a snack for lunch.

I managed to get to the lounge and requested a sandwich, chips, and a drink. I told him I was in a sleeper and that I wanted lunch. He asked me if I was nuts? I shouldn't be in his lounge, I should be in the diner. So I explained, in great detail, why that was not feasible.

He shut up and gave me my food.....

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I rode the Coast Starlight last year from LAX to SEA, the Pacific Parlour Car attendant served several of us lunch from the diner in the Parlour Car. That was a very nice gesture...
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page