RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Empire Builder question...

Author Topic: Empire Builder question...
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am leaving this Saturday going from CHI-PDX as part of a 9-day cross country journey. It looks like the train spends a load of time in MKE for some reason. Any ideas why? Once the train hits Spokane does the PDX section of the train actually disconnect and hook up to a new set of engines? And for the cold breakfast served to sleeper passengers, any idea what I have to look forward to? THANKS :-)
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MKE... I don't think so? It spends a bit of time in St Paul / Minneapolis to detach a coach car.

At Spokane the train splits: one portion going to Seattle, the other to Portland. I believe you do pick up a new engine for that bit. Either that or one of the two existing engines pulls the Portland section, the other pulling the Seattle section.

The cars are arranged with the Portland coach and sleeper at the rear of the train. This means you have to walk through the Seattle coaches to get to the lounge car and then the diner car.

Can't help with the breakfast, sorry.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MSP was right. My error. THANKS! Maybe if I'm on the end of the train I can get some cool pictures as the train rounds some of those curves and hills...:-)
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The section headed to Portland separates late night at Spokane and the "cold meal" for breakfast actually is not bad. I enjoyed it, last year.

You'll get some GREAT shots out the back of the train, especially cutting through the valley. Enjoy!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I've said this before but. . .

While you're in Chicago Union Station, claim some space on one of the long oak benches in the enormous 1920s waiting room, and spend time soaking up the atmosphere.

You'll find it far less crowded than any of the newer waiting areas (including the first class Metropolitan Lounge, which bears an uncanny resemblance to my dentist's waiting room).

While you're in the station, also take a peek inside the Metro Cafe, the cafe/bar adjacent to the old waiting room. There's lots of vintage railroad-related stuff hanging the walls.

And when you get to Portland. . .

Do a bit of wandering through and around Union Station (with its famous "Go By Train" illuminated sign on the clock tower). It dates from the 1890s and is one of the most beautiful -- and well-preserved -- old railroad stations in the country.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 10-30-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The three times I've been on the EB, there were three engines. One went with the Portland train and two went with the Seattle train.

Also, in Portland, downtown is a short walk (4 city blocks) from the station and there are lots of interesting shops.

Have fun and be in the lounge car after Cut Bank.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I've been on the EB, there were two engines from Chicago to Seattle. At Spokane, the Seattle section simply uncoupled and pulled away from the Portland section. An engine kept at Spokane was then backed down and coupled to the remaining Portland section.

At Minneapolis, roadrailers operating Chi-Msp were switched out.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty certain I only had 2 engines. I can't remember exactly what we had Spokane-Seattle though.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
The w/b Empire Builder was almost 6 hours late getting into Portland today. I wonder if she had any problems along the way? I am glad I am overnighting in PDX before xferring to the s/b Coastal Starlight the next day or I'd been in trouble.
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
info from another board:

"Westbound Empire Builder, Train 7(29OCT) was delayed between Rugby and
Minot ND due to blizzard conditions. Signals were difficult to see
account snow accumulations on signal heads, and heavy blowing snow.
Total delay 2 hours.

Same train, with units AMTK 187 and 167 stopped at Malta MT. with the
187 not loading and the 167 providing HEP only account traction motor
ground fault. Therefore the train had no traction power at all. Engine
crew cut out one traction motor on the AMTK 167 and proceeded to Havre,
where freight unit BNSF 728 was added. At Spokane, the protect engine
AMTK 11 was added so Train 7 would have two working units. Delay 1h 17min at Malta, 45min at Havre."

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, when it comes to intercity rail travel here in the states, I always go Amtrak.

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the oak benches! Always the benches!
That and walking around the massive Great Hall up the marble stairs (worn by billions of footsteps over the years) to listen to the voices reverbrating between the walls. Fantastic.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-August 17, 2001
Requisecat in pacis

P42DC #53063
Around 2.5 million miles to go

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page