RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Old Timetables - 3 (part one)

Author Topic: Old Timetables - 3 (part one)
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Autumn of 1975, the Cincinnati Reds beat the Boston Red Sox in seven games to win the World Series. Game Six of that year's series is still considered one of the greatest baseball games ever played.

During that same Fall, Patty Hearst, the newspaper heiress, was captured by FBI agents in San Francisco's Mission District after one of the longest and most bizarre flights from justice in law enforcement history. She had been kidnapped by the 'SLA' 19 months earlier. In a surprising and confusing twist, it appeared Miss Hearst had willfully become a 'soldier' in that extremist group's movement during her abduction. She went from being a victim to a fugitive.

In October, 1975 Japan's 74-year-old Emperor Hirohito was met at Los Angeles International Airport by California Governor Jerry Brown and Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley. After a gala reception at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at The Music Center The Emperor and his wife toured Disneyland.

On the same day as The Emperor's visit, across the nation in Washington, President Gerald Ford urged Congress to deregulate the US airline industry. HIs suggestion ultimately would change the airline business forever.

As these historical events took place, Amtrak, the country's 4 1/2-year-old national rail passenger network, introduced its very own network of toll-free '800' numbers for reservations and information. Along a similar vein, Amtrak also introduced a directory of local numbers across the country so customers could get exact train arrival and departure information. Passenger rail travel was stepping into the information age.

Amtrak was trying hard to innovate passenger rail in the United States. Having a toll free number made contacting Amtrak easy - and free. It was one of many innovations that Amtrak would adopt to make catching the train more appealing to a traveling public that had largely abandoned trains for cars and airliners. The toll-free reservation number was considered so important that it was heralded in a big spread on the first two pages inside the November, 1975 timetable.

The timetable included many other changes.

To Be Continued...

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes me want to cry
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Amtrak also the first transportation provider to offer a voice recognition phone system?

I find it really bizarre that Amtrak's reservations technology has been so progressive, while America's rail transportation technology is, for the most part, stuck in the 1950s.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
Wasn't Amtrak also the first transportation provider to offer a voice recognition phone system?

I remember using a voice recognition system to get American Airlines flight arrival/departure information in the fall of 1999, which I think was before Amtrak introduced Julie. (I remember mainly because I was doing it from my cubicle at work, wondering if my co-workers were thinking I was strange because I was saying numbers and city names into the phone, very distinctly and seemingly randomly.)

Julie, though, works better and has more capabilities than that system did...I haven't had occasion to contact AA since then, so I don't know if they've upgraded in the past few years.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before Amtrak, before American Airlines (I remember when AA introduced voice recognition too, Trainman1), I recall directory assistance using a very simple voice recognition system.

In the original Star Trek TV show the crew used voice recognition commands all the time. But even though the show was aired in the past, it was set in the distant future. Now that's something to think about while staring at a lava lamp.

I wonder if Amtrak will evolve into Star Trak.

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-06-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dnsommer:
I wonder if Amtrak will evolve into Star Trak.

Wide open space, the American Frontier
These are the voyages of the California Zephyr,
Its 2.5 day mission,
To explore unpaved worlds,
To seek out new companions and new lifestyles,
To boldly go where no frequent flier has gone before!

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 11-06-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>directory assistance using a very simple voice recognition system

Not voice recognition but just simple voice recording. They recorded the request and a live operator listened and provided the number.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Good parody, Mr. Toy!

Dave

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page