TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Boston to Seattle

Author Topic: Boston to Seattle
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like the group's thoughts on the following: In January (it's the first time I can get away) I thought I'd take the Acela from Boston to DC and the Capitol to Chicago and the EB to Seattle; have lunch with my cousin and get on the eastbound EB that same afternoon and the LSL east from Chicago. I know that there has been a shortage of equipment on some of the runs; what are the chances that these trains might be effected? Is weather that time of the year going to be difficult?
PS to Dave Sommer: we wear extra-heavy boots up here in the NE to counter the lack of gravity. But that lack of gravity explains some of the liberal thinking that comes out of this place!

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at Rail Sale (off Amtrak's reservations web page) for good bargains, if they're there.
Bad weather does not, in general, have a pronounced effect on passenger train operation. That being said, station load times will be longer, and if things get really messy, the train may be delayed by items such as frozen switches or failed signals, which rely on line power. The trains keep running for the most part, but with delays from time to time. Be sure there is ample connection time in Chicago both ways, and have a contingency plan if you can't catch the same-day departure on the Builder on the way back.
No Lakeshore? It'll get you there quicker, and for less. No need to change trains in Washington, unless you wanted to ride on Acela (like me) or you want to spend some time in Washington Union Station (like me).
If you want to take a sleeper (and the same applies to coaches to a lesser extent) book as soon as you can. The latest Amtrak timetable has some examples of fares and when peak and off-peak fare times are.
(You notice I didn't have to write "National" timetable... Excellent!)

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, AMTRAK207. Actually, I like a bed to sleep in at night - I'm too old for the alternative. I've taken the LSL a million times, both 449 and 49, so I thought I might try varying the route to Chicago by going through DC. There's a couple hours 'tween trains which should be time enough to visit part of the Smithsonian. But, as you know, the LSL doesn't always carry the equipment that's advertised, and I was wondering if that were true of the DC-Chicago route as well.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im gonna go out on a Limb and say that it Probably snows a lot during the month of January along the East Coast.
Snow will probably cause delays, but as for Chicago connections I doubt any problems, but never doubt.
Capitol Limited gets in (now) to Chicago at 10:36 A.M. EB leaves Chicago at 2:10 P.M.
And I believe both Trains are consisted of Superliner Cars.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:
have lunch with my cousin and get on the eastbound EB that same afternoon and the LSL east from Chicago.

I don't know if thats a joke or not, hell I plan to do something like that after High School, but if a 4-5 hour delay into Seattle gets yah, it could be just a swing by McDonalds for Lunch.

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 11-07-2003).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arrive in Seattle and then leave the same day? Sounds like a stretch. You might get lucky, but you might be cutting it a bit too close.

If the westbound train is badly delayed because of weather, freight traffic, technical problems, or an accident, the eastbound train will leave Seattle without you.

If you can, spend the night at a hotel instead and head back east the next day. That way, you won't spend half your westbound trip worrying that you won't reach Seattle on time.

As for the trip home. . .

Since you've already taken the Lake Shore Limited many times, try a change of scenery. Take the Cardinal from Chicago to New York, and then transfer to a regional or the Acela for the final leg to Boston.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
Arrive in Seattle and then leave the same day? Sounds like a stretch. You might get lucky, but you might be cutting it a bit too close.

If the westbound train is badly delayed because of weather, freight traffic, technical problems, or an accident, the eastbound train will leave Seattle without you.

Not likely, since the westbound EB is that days eastbound EB.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Thanks, dilly, I hadn't thought of the Cardinal - that's a good idea. If Amtrak uses the same equipment eastbound that was just westbound, as rmiller suggests, I should have a couple of hours to have a nice lunch with my cousin, don't you think? Oysters on the half shell by the harbor? Plus a week on the train - what could be better!
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ivars Acres of clams is a great seafood place that is a long walk from the Seattle station (about ten blocks), and it's right on the water. http://www.ivars.net/Acres_Home/acres.html

My wife and I did this for our Y2K train trip. We arrived on the CS, met some friends in Seattle for supper, and left on the next day's CS. Yea, it was a long way to go for seafood, but, being from Houston, we don't get to see the mountains in snow.....

Seemed like a good enough excuse at the time..

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rmiller:
Not likely, since the westbound EB is that days eastbound EB.

That's true. Most of the time anyway. But as my sister discovered a few years ago, "stuff happens" -- such as the winter mudslide (near Edmonds, she recalled) that completely shut down the route to and from Seattle.

As a result, the Seattle section of the eastbound Empire Builder (which was already sitting in Seattle) was abruptly canceled.

The following day, the westbound Empire Builder never arrived in Seattle at all (the entire train was routed to Portland).

So for a second day, the Seattle departure faced cancellation -- until Amtrak decided to send the stranded cars from the previous day (and their passengers) south to Portland, where they became part of the eastbound train.

Granted, things like this don't happen every day. But a major delay or unexpected rerouting could throw a serious wrench into TBlack's Master Plan.

Then too, after three long days and nights of travel from Boston, even the most hardcore traveler is likely to experience "train lag."

In other words, you'll be somewhat fried, even if you've been traveling by sleeper. To immediately turn around, with no break whatsoever, and do the entire 3100 mile trip in reverse could prove to be not quite as wonderful as it sounds.

Call me cautious, but I still wouldn't plan to arrive and depart the same day.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 11-09-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dilly:
In other words, you'll be somewhat fried, even if you've been traveling by sleeper. To immediately turn around, with no break whatsoever, and do the entire 3100 mile trip in reverse could prove to be not quite as wonderful as it sounds.

Actually, I've done 7 day trips before, just not this one. And I remember on one trip talking to a fellow across the table from me in the dining car who was on a 30 day junket, and when I asked him where he was going, he had to pull out an 8.5"X11" paper that had his whole trip outlined and written down just to remind himself of his destination. Do you suppose it's possible to go 30 days without repeating any segments?

mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did the Empire Builder for lunch in Seattle last year. Arrived on time, had lunch at Ivar's, left on time the same day. No problems, though it was in August. Going back this spring (taking granddaughter with us), only this time we're going to stay a couple of days. I understand there's more to Seattle than just great seafood.
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey TBLACK,
While in Seattle, see the wonderful Pike's Market!
Have a good trip

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what does Seattle have that all these other cities don't have? A MONORAIL!

"I hear those things are awfully loud!"
"Nah, they glide as softly as a cloud!"
"Is there a chance the track could bend?"
"Not on your life. my Rail Forum friend!"
"What about us brain dead slobs?"
"A monorail provides real cushy jobs!"
"Are they the work of the devil?"
"You can be sure, monorails are on the level!"

--Adapted from Simpsons Episode 9F10, 1/14/93

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-10-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

That's two recommendations for Ivar's in Seattle. One from Texas and the other from Kentucky. This must be a good place. If I'm taking my cousin, I get to pick the restaurant, right?

One more logistical question: will my cell phone work on the EB so I can call my cousin to tell her what time I'm getting in?

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
This is probably obvious, but cell phone coverage away from your "home" area depends a lot on which service you use. Especially when you're in the middle of nowhere.

During my travels around the country, I've found that my phone (Verizon) often works when my traveling companions' phones (Brand X) don't.

However, you may have to wait until your train nears Everett, Washington to make your call. When I traveled on the Empire Builder a while back, my phone was (not surprisingly) unable to pick up a signal while passing through the Cascades, the Rockies, and most of Montana.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you are paralleling an interstate highway, your phone will probably work. When you are in the Cascades or Rockies, it probably won't work.

I have Sprint. It works around all the major interstates and cities. It doesn't work between most of them in the western US.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MONO---
D'OH!

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beware cell phone plans. I have a verizon plan that is really cheap until you leave the northeast. Outside of the service area I get charged about $1/minute. I found that out after a trip to florda and my cell bill for the month was $200 higher than usual.

Sure the phone worked, but........

Check with your provider.

Jon

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page