RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Passive Train Control Systems

Author Topic: Passive Train Control Systems
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Passive Train Control systems have been advocated by safety agencies for quite some time now. The definition I've seen is a system which intervenes when an operating train passes a restrictive signal without reaction from the operating crew. Also known as Automatic Train Stop (ATS), I keep seeing it mentioned from place to place, so here's the post:
How does it, um, how does it work?
(I know not, my liege)
I've seen ATS shoes and possibly a reader by the side of the tracks, but how does it work? Could somebody consult the Book of Armaments for me please?

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-August 17, 2001
Requisecat in pacis

P42DC #53063
Around 2.5 million miles to go

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, you're jumbling several things together here.

First, Automatic Train Stop (ATS) usually uses wayside magnets that energize when a signal is red. If a train passes, the magnet pulls open a valve that dumps the train air. This technology dates to the 1920s.

Second is Positive (not passive) Train Control. This is a system that consists of a GPS receiver on the loco, an on-board computer, and digital radio links to a central office. Central office grants movement authorities digitally; as train approaches authority limits, engineer is warned and then brakes are applied to stop the train short of the authority limit. This system may or may not be "overlaid" on existing signal systems. Tests are underway in Illinois and Michigan (Amtrak), South Carolina (CSX), and on BNSF.

Finally, the "scanner" you mention is part of a system of Automatic Equipment Identification (AEI). Freight cars have passive tags that are interrogated by microwave as trains pass the reader. The information (which consists only of car numbers) is passed to the railroad's train consisting software to be checked against the recorded consist.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page