RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Idea for a fun game

Author Topic: Idea for a fun game
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I was recently with my uncle in Canada, and he introduced my to a "game" thay play all over the world called geo-cash. It is basicly where sombody places a box in a descrite location, and then they go to a board and post clues/gps corridinates as too where the box is, once somebody finds the box the sighn a paper that proves they were there, and date it. The person that found the box then goes to the board and states that he/she found the box and describe it or somthing in on it. I think that this could be adjusted to fit with trains where a Railfan would place a magnetic box (ie: altoids container) in a place maintainence will not find it, in it they would place a a sheet of paper in it, and when another railfan finds that box, they would then sign it w/ the date and a location of the pice of equipment at that time, and we could watch were each car goes on a regular basis and possibly see where other railfans are, and where they watch their trains. (i know it a looooooong sentence) I just thought that this would be somthing fun to try, what do ya all think??

-Fumes5

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AND PRIZES!!!
lol

Thats a good idea, but wed have to do it by state etc. Some of us live in California and some in New York---But it just might work--im going out on a limb here--but it seems pretty cool

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard of geocaching. Here's the official website: http://www.geocaching.com/

This variation need not be limited to a region or state. Amtrak cars often get switched around from train to train. All we would need is the car number (the five digit painted number) and the location of the box in the car.

But placing it where maintenence would not find it but would still be accessible to a railfan is problematic.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy,

Yes you bring up a good point, I was thinking in a place like under seats, or hidden on the inside of the luggage racks, places like that, where normal people would not think to look.

Starlight 99,

I thought about that, but as Mr. Toy stated amtrak cars get switched around alot, like the fifth coach on the starlight is often placed on the Builder out of Seattle as demand calls. Also, on a side note, I often ride the starlate, and may be in the area over Thanksgiving, if i am mayby we could work out a time to meet at one of the statins along the surfliner route emali me at f59phi2014 at comcast dot net (figure it out) and we will look at the idea in more detail

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of things that are far more fun to do on a train...mostly involving the use of a sleeper...
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
^^^ grow up ^^^
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The game might be fun, however, since 911
I think we need to recognize that someone "hiding" even a small box on a train is probably not the smartest thing to do or to be seen doing. Given a terrorist mindset, even a small box can contain enough plastic explosives to cause major damage. Despite the best intentions, perhaps this is one game that should not be played on passenger trains. Just my thoughts.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CK has a good point.

Maybe something more public might be a safe and fun alternative. I'm thinking a guestbook in the lounge car (at the mostly unused upper level bar, maybe). Amtrak would assign the book to the car, not the train, so it would get moved around from time to time. Railforum members would write in their screen name and we could watch for each other by flipping through the book. Meanwhile, the public would be writing in their names oblivious to what these obscure names like CK, irishchieftan, and Fumes5 mean. But we would be in the know....

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 11-11-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Mr Toy,

I think that is a great idea to try, but who would we write to in maintaince to see if this could be a go? I think that we may have stubled on to somthing here, we could even see about placing them in the coaches and sleepers, but in a cubbord somewhere, and you would siply ask the car attendent to let you see it (most are willing enough). What does everybody else think of that??

-Fumes

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ grow up ^^^

Ditto to yourself. Your post is fair game due to it being off-topic and vapid.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here In New York we just write our names on the trains with spray paint.

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. Another double reply. It must have something to do with the back button. Geez.

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-11-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Fumes, I don't think maintenence is the place to go. Write to Amtrak management and suggest it. I think I will, too. A guestbook would be a nice customer service touch that would cost very little to implement. Amtrak need not know about our little secret entries.

Dave, don't use your back button.

Irishchieftan, the leisurely pace of rail travel offers time for both sorts of activities.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 11-11-2003).]

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fumes5:
Hi all,

I was recently with my uncle in Canada,

-Fumes5

Was it your Uncle Buck

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
UncleBuck44,

no his name was Dan, but he looks alot like Uncle Buck ;-)

AMTRAKLVR
Member # 2843

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMTRAKLVR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless your Uncle changed his name, in my book, his name IS still Dan.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page