RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Trivia Quiz of the Future

Author Topic: Amtrak Trivia Quiz of the Future
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMTRAK TRIVIA QUIZ OF THE FUTURE (One possible future, that is!)

1. On the day Amtrak officially shut down, what was the last train to reach its destination, and where did it arrive?

2. What country was given all of Amtrak's Superliner rolling stock in an effort to re-build its war-torn passenger rail system?

3. What new Interstate highway follows the site of the tracks at Horseshoe Bend in Pennsylvania?

4. In what prison are the leaders of NARP serving sentences for conspiring to communicate unpatriotic government spending ideas and fostering anachronistic transportation sentimentality?

5. What footwear superstore occupies the old Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal? Where do 'Rail California' (formerly known as Amtrak California) and Metrolink riders buy tickets and wait for trains?

6. Which five locomotives were stolen from the Chicago Amtrak Yards following the Great Amtrak Closure Riots of '05? Where did FBI agents rig the track to derail the locomotives and arrest the former Amtrak employees who had stolen them? How many of the suspects survived? Which of the five locomotives was still serviceable and sold to a Bolivian shortline?

7. Which scenic British railway line is now served by two of the former Amtrak Rohr Turboliner sets? (Hint: Appleby)

8. How far must one now travel from North America to ride in a sleeping car that is part of the consist of a regularly scheduled train?

9. What is the name of the Texan festival wherein railfans are paraded around the town square and laughed at by people dressed up like airline employees who throw pointy paper airplanes at them while singing airline jingles?

10. When the former Hudson River Amtrak Tunnels became an automotive thoroughfare connected to I-95, who were they named after?

11. How much did it cost to convert the former SP Coast Line into the new Pacific Coast Highway? How many traffic fatalities took place on it during its first year as a roadway?

12. What former Amtrak station became a state-of-the-art illegal immigrant detention facility? What railroad museum now posseses the large Santa Fe lettering that was on its roof?

13. What Amtrak station became the McDonald's/Microsoft Teen Gaming Mega Arcade?

14. What is the name of the athletic stadium that was built on the site of Beech Grove Shops?

15. What is the name of the industrialist hermit who bought an Amtrak station and a complete Amtrak Lake Shore Limited consist for $1 each and relocated them to the six and a half mile railroad he operates for fun at his remote ranch property in Wyoming? What other two famous locomotives are part of his collection of authentic rolling stock?

BONUS - How many square feet does the "Amtrak & The History of American Passenger Rail" exhibit occupy at The Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C.?

BONUS - What event prompted the Greyhound bus system to be nationalized in 2009?

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-12-2003).]

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-15-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The answer to number 5, a total guess is Finishline

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 11-12-2003).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
14.Indianapolis Cardinals.Bonus,0 square feet,since the Powers That Be will not want the people to remember that we once Had a national passenger rail system.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the former Hudson River Amtrak Tunnels became an automotive thoroughfare connected to I-95

I realize that this post is laden with sarcasm...however, I am tempted to insert an historical note regarding the Northeast Corridor. It actually started as a toll road in New Jersey called the Middlesex-Essex Turnpike; the cost was 3¢ at each end of the road. Farmers hated this so much, they actually gave up land to build the Edgar Shunpike (nowadays known as US Routes 1 & 9). The M-E TPK was subsequently sold to the New Jersey Railroad Company...which ended up in the hands of the Pennsylvania RR, ad libitum...

[This message has been edited by irishchieftain (edited 11-12-2003).]

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. October 15, 2178 three months and four days after teleportation became affordable to the masses. The last train to complete its journey was the Sunset Express.

2. Palestine.

3. I-9435, but this also became obsolete when teleportation became mainstream.

4. The Texas Book Repository.

5. Birkenstock-Nike, Disneyland

6. I don't follow union politics that closely.

7. Uhhh.

8. To Palestine.

9. Airline Pilots Association annual picnic.

10. Wendell Cox

11. After six decades of environmental review total cost $48 trillion. No fatalities due to being made immediately obsolete by teleportation.

12. Seattle. British Railway Museum.

13. Just a guess, Minot ND.

14. The Norman Mineta Memorial Ping-Pong Courts.

15. Dick Cheney. One original Acela locomotive and the first Genesis locomotive (#117) painted in the Phase IX color scheme.

Bonus #1 An 18" square corrugated aluminum plaque.

Bonus #2 A Supreme Court decision allowing airlines unrestricted landing rights on interstate highways.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for teleportation, I do not see that happening. I would rather be me than a copy of myself, after all...

What did Zefram Cochrane say in that movie "Star Trek – First Contact"...? "You think I want to explore the stars...? I don't even like to fly—I take trains!!"

[This message has been edited by irishchieftain (edited 11-13-2003).]

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that while this post was originally intended to be entertaining, when I started thinking about Amtrak being shut down for real, I felt kind of sad.

If it did happen, I suppose the only parts of the Amtrak system that would survive would be in the Northeast, California, and some of the regional routes out of Chicago.

These new regional railroads would consist of the Northeast Corridor; NYS Empire Service, (possibly including Vermont and Montreal); The Downeaster; and California's Capitol Corridor and Pacific Surfliner.

I doubt much would remain of Amtrak anywhere in the Northwest besides the Cascades Services. Montana would still have its independently operated Rocky Mountain deluxe tourist train.

California's routes already are state operated to a large extent. Little would change in that state. I believe Coast Starlight service would be eliminated if Amtrak closed down, but the San Joaquin Valley would stand a good chance of keeping its trains.

Perhaps an expanded Metra would operate some of Amtrak's Chicago regional routes, e.g., Chicago-Milwaukee, Chicago-Quincy, Chicago-Carbondale, and maybe even Chicago-St. Louis-Kansas City, with continued funding from the State of Missouri.

Pennsylvania would probably make a move to keep the Philadelphia-Harrisburg trains going and maybe the Pennsylvanian running between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh too. But with what rolling stock? How would Amtrak's assets be disbursed?

What would happen to Amtrak's trackage in Michigan?

Would North Carolina continue operating its Raleigh-Charlotte train?

How about Oklahoma's state-funded Heartland Flyer?

There may not be a way for all of these regional lines to operate outside the umbrella of Amtrak at present, but I'm sure that faced with closure, state and local governments and their constituents would demand continued passenger rail services, and funding would be found, even with subsidies from Washington under different auspices.

The moment Amtrak closed, entire regions would be without any passenger rail services whatsoever. Very few major metropolitan areas would be connected by rail to any other major metropolitan area more than a few hundred miles distant.

And what about new, private ventures the Bush Administration believes would enter into the passenger train buisness?

The only long distance passenger service in the United States would be the American Orient Express, an experience that costs more than many people could ever afford, and one that exists solely for vacation purposes.

Could a new, private Auto-Train to Florida support itself? What prompted Amtrak to absorb the original independently operated Auto-Train? Was A-T bankrupt?

I believe there's a strong possibility either Florida and/or Texas eventually will build regional high speed routes. I especially think Florida will do so, with a route between Miami and Orlando/Tampa.

The famous landmark stations Amtrak uses would remain standing, since most of them also handle commuter trains. But would Denver keep its famous station? Salt Lake City? Portland, Oregon?

How would America without Amtrak really be? Would it be noticeably missed by the country as a whole?

There's a lot of talk about how much the government spends to keep Amtrak going. Isn't the amount just a fraction of the entire federal budget? Has the federal budget ever been balanced?

Amtrak closing down. It is a sad thought.

Could it be that after all the trials and tribulations with new locomotives through the years, the station renovations, the system expansions (and then reductions), and the introduction of exciting brand new rolling stock, all Amtrak represents in sum is a fruitless attempt to keep some doomed patient alive just a little bit longer?

Remember when the F40s and the Amcoaches and the Superliners were brand new? Didn't American industries profit from designing and marketing these products? Didn't American workers earn a living from building and maintaining them too? Hasn't Amtrak been good for America? Hasn't Amtrak been doing a pretty good job, considering it has had one hand tied behind its back its entire existence?

Wasn't the idea of Amtrak fueled by optimism? If so, what has become of that optimism?

If Amtrak is shut down, at least timetable collectors will have a more interesting hobby once again, what with all the new regional railroads that will appear.

Or perhaps the brand name and managerial entity called Amtrak would still exist and still issue a national timetable, minus any long distance trains.

In that case, the name Amtrak itself might as well be put to rest.

Perhaps in the near future we'll be seeing things like "The New York & Hudson River Railroad, Spring Timetable, 2005."

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-15-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The origanal Auto Train went bankrupt.Amtrak's A-T seems to be very succesful.What would Amtrak do with their AMD103's?They would not be good frieght locomotives.The SDP40F's were bought with the intention that they could be sold to the frieght railroads if Amtrak failed but that w0uldn't work with the GE's.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Espee, I imagine they'd continue in service with regional and commuter passenger railroads.

Are the AMD-103s incapable of being re-geared?

Is it too late to exchange them for something else? Do you think Amtrak still has the sales receipt for them? :-)

Dave

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Wasn't the idea of Amtrak fueled by optimism? If so, what has become of that optimism?

The optimism thereof was supposed to be fueled by sufficient funding. However, an average of under $1 billion per annum—way less than half of the money it takes to keep New York's MTA going year after year—can certainly erode optimism…

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page