RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Are these good deluxe bedrooms?

Author Topic: Are these good deluxe bedrooms?
Becky in San Diego
Member # 2884

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Becky in San Diego     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got such great responses to my dining car question, I'm hoping to get some good feedback on my next newbie question

We're on the Sunset Ltd from LA to New Orleans. We have a Deluxe Bedroom reserved. These are our assigned sleeper numbers. Can anyone tell me if these are good or bad locations and if they're not that good, should we call now and attempt to get a different sleeper # ?

LA to NO = E0231
NO to LA = E0130

Posts: 6 | From: San Diego, Calif, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E cabin is a very good. It is in the center of the car and the sofa section faces in the direction of the train. This assumes the car is arranged on the tracks in the preferred direction. You can see the layout on by using the following link. http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

[This message has been edited by paulr (edited 11-14-2003).]

Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since E is right next to the stairs, you can just reach around the corner and grab some beverages and maybe some snacks that are usually laid out by your car attendant.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Becky in San Diego
Member # 2884

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Becky in San Diego     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UncleBuck44:
Since E is right next to the stairs, you can just reach around the corner and grab some beverages and maybe some snacks that are usually laid out by your car attendant.

Does this mean that lots of people will be hanging around the snacks so our car will be noisy if we want to read and stuff? We're not anti-social people but I don't wanna be in the party section either

Posts: 6 | From: San Diego, Calif, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should not be that bad i have had rooms in the sleeping car right by the door that goes from car to car and it was not that bad,there wasn't much foot traffic.

------------------
LOOK LISTEN LIVE
BEFORE CROSSING RR TRACKS

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Becky, don't worry about the noise. There are sodas, water, juice & coffee available when your trip starts out. These items, except the coffee, often run out. There are few, if any, snacks for passengers in the sleeping cars. Passengers tend to pick-up a drink and go to their room or the lounge car. For two reasons they don't tend to "hang around", first, there is very little room to "hang around" and second, the lounge car is the place to go to get to know your fellow passengers.
Relax, have fun, and don't forget to look out the window!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have travelled in all of the deluxe rooms. C and E are my rooms of choice and no real preference between these two. The middle of the car is usually the best (hence E), but C is away from the staircase (but still on the hallway and not in the center of the car as much as E). You should be finein E. Good luck and enjoy! The direction of travel concerning which way the couch faces is often luck of the draw these days. But rule of thumb is what member paulr mentions. Good Luck!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For any trip more than one night I always take a deluxe, and E is my favourite because it is dead centre, and the sofa (usually) faces forward. Also, being next to the stairway you don't have the long journey of dragging your luggage down the corridor. As for noise, only on occasion have I noticed any sounds of people going up and down the stairs, but you may notice from time to time the sound of the attendant closing the exit door when the train is about to depart a station (as E is directly above the exit). As others have pointed out, E is very close to the area where the attendant makes coffee, has orange juice etc. Often times in the morning I can smell freshly brewed coffee which is quite a pleasant way to wake up.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for all the reasons above, E would be my first choice, if I could afford it.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Becky in San Diego
Member # 2884

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Becky in San Diego     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much everyone for this great feedback. I really appreciate it

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page