RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak AmTrivia Quiz #4

Author Topic: Amtrak AmTrivia Quiz #4
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak AmTrivia Quiz #4
By David Sommer

1. How many platforms are at Chicago Union Station? (Extra Credit: How many are used by Amtrak?)

2. Name three Amtrak stations that predominantly serve US Military Personnel.

3. Name Seven Amtrak destinations that have professional baseball teams. Extra Credit: (Name three trains that pass directly by the stadiums.)

4. What Amtrak stop serves the five-day Midwest Old Settlers And Threshers Annual Reunion ending each Labor Day?

5. Which Amtrak Station, on the banks of The Pearl River, has been dubbed “The Crossroads of the South”?

6. Which Amtrak Station is closest to the site of the famous derailment of Engineer Casey Jones?

7. Where could one ride Amtrak to visit a place called Ybor Square?

8. How far north can one continuously travel by rail from the Amtrak stop at “The Artichoke Capitol of the World?

9. Name three Amtrak stops near the home of a U.S. President.

10. What Amtrak stop serves “The Video Gaming Capital Of The World” and the TV show M*A*S*H’s Radar OReilly’s pig farm?

BONUS - Where did the first Genesis Locomotive make its debut in regular service?

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-23-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3) St. Louis, Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago*2, Oakland, Houston, Milwaukee, New York*2, Baltimore, Boston;
Extra Credit: Coast Starlight in Seattle, Caliphornia Zephyr in Denver, Lake Shore Limited in Chicago, Im not sure but the Coast Starlight in Oakland.

7) Ybor Square is in Tampa, Florida, that is where one could ride Amtrak to.

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 11-23-2003).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4)The Answer is Mount Pleasant, Iowa

5)The Amtrak Station Dubbed the Crossroads of the South is Jackson, Mississippi, I Guess.

8) Castroville, CA is the Artichoke capital of the world and no trains serve that town.

9) Hope, Arkansas(Clinton)

10) Ottumwa, Iowa is the video gaming capital of the world, and where Radar O'Reillys pig farm is.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3.Seattle,Chicago,New York,Oakland,San Diego,Anaheim,Los Angeles.Bonus.Surfliner,Angel Stadium.City of New Orleans,Cominsky Park.Starlate,Safeco Field.6.Jackson,Miss.8.Vancouver B.C.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. How many platforms are at Chicago Union Station? (Extra Credit: How many are used by Amtrak?)

28 Platforms at Chicago Union Station with Amtrak using 12 under normal situations

2. Name three Amtrak stations that predominantly serve US Military Personnel. Ocenside, Quantico
and New London.

3. Name Seven Amtrak destinations that have professional baseball teams. Extra Credit: (Name three trains that pass directly by the stadiums.)
Anehiem, Oakland, Seattle, St Louis, Boston, Denver, New York as I have used Amtrak to get to every one of them.

Anaheim Anaheim Angels Surfliners , Seattle Mariners Coast Starlight and Cascades, St Louis
Cardinal Texas Eagle and Mules and Denver California Zephyr Colorado Rockies

4. What Amtrak stop serves the five-day Midwest Old Settlers And Threshers Annual Reunion ending each Labor Day?

Mt Pleasant, Iowa

5. Which Amtrak Station, on the banks of The Pearl River, has been dubbed “The Crossroads of the South”?

Jackson, Mississippi

6. Which Amtrak Station is closest to the site of the famous derailment of Engineer Casey Jones?

Yazoo City, Mississippi

Tampa, Florida

8. How far north can one continuously travel by rail from the Amtrak stop at “The Artichoke Capitol of the World?

Castorville, California Slinas to Seattle without getting off a train or Vancouver,BC by switching to the Talgo the next morning.

Raliegh, North Carlona home of Andrew Johnson
New York City, New York home of Theodore Roosvelt
Cincinnati,Ohio home of Wiiliam H Taft

10. What Amtrak stop serves “The Video Gaming Capital Of The World” and the TV show M*A*S*H’s Radar OReilly’s pig farm?

Ottumwa, Iowa

BONUS - Where did the first Genesis Locomotive make its debut in regular service?
Lake shore Limited

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UncleBuck44:
8) Castroville, CA is the Artichoke capital of the world and no trains serve that town.

Uncle Buck is correct. The Coast Starlight passes through Castroville, but does not stop. The nearest stop is Salinas, about 10 miles south.

In a few years (2006, if all goes well) Caltrain will stop in Castroville, so the answer will be to San Francisco.

On #3, the California Zephyr passes Coors Field in Denver. Here's a photo I shot from the train

Other than that, I don't have any answers. These were hard!

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will someone please explain to me how to place photos in posts? Is it possible to place tables created with MS Word in a post?

Thx, Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-24-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#3 - Several trains pass directly by Comiskey Park in Chicago; also the Coast Starlight and the Talgos pass by King Dome in Seattle; and the Pacific Surfliners stop at Anaheim Stadium in southern CA. (bonus: VIA Rail Canada's Canadian pases a large stadium just E of the Winnipeg, MB station)

#6 is either Yazoo City or Greenwood (I believe Grenada, on the former IC line used by the CONL was actually the closest to the actual site)

#9 - Don't forget Charlottesville, VA, home of Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home) - if you look up the hill to the south just E of the station on the Cardinal, you can see Monticello

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello...Cleveland. Our team is still classified as professional.
Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dnsommer:
Will someone please explain to me how to place photos in posts? Is it possible to place tables created with MS Word in a post?

First, you need to have your own web space and upload your photos. Many internet service providers give you a few megabytes of space for a personal home page. AOL is particularly generous giving a whopping 140MB per acount (20MB per screen name) which is why I stay with AOL for my website. It is by far the most generous web hosting service I have found for the money.

Once you have your images uploaded you can make a link using standard HTML tags or (on this forum) you can use the UBB code which is easier. When you compose your message there is a link at left to the UBB instructions.

Back on topic, the Coast Starlight also passes the Oakland stadium where the A's play.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 11-25-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
3. Name Seven Amtrak destinations that have professional baseball teams.

A better question here, I think, would be to name which Major League Baseball cities are not served by Amtrak trains. Unless I'm missing something, there's only three: San Francisco, Phoenix, and St. Petersburg (which is where the Devil Rays' stadium is).

And remember, just saying "professional baseball teams" includes the minor leagues, so there are a ton of potential answers to that question.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trainman 1, though San Francisco Pac Bell (now SBC) Park is not served by Amtrak "trains", Amtrak does provide excellent connections to the stadium. Thruway bus connections from the Emeryville and Oakland (Jack London Square)stations will get you to the Caltrain depot at 4th & Townsend, which is only a block or two from the stadium. That's how I get there. Also, I understand you can train to Jack London Square, and then take a ferry to the ballpark.

[This message has been edited by zephyr (edited 11-25-2003).]

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, in one sense Amtrak does serve Pac Bell Park (soon to be SBC Park). Amtrak is the contract operator for Caltrain, and the Caltrain terminal is just a block from the ballpark.
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baseball Phanatic here so I'll finish up what I started on number 3:

MLB Cities served by Amtrak:
St. Louis, Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago*2, Oakland, Houston, Milwaukee, New York*2, Baltimore, Boston, Montreal, Atlanta, Toronto, Detroit, Anaheim, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Miami, San Diego, Philadelphia, Seattle

MLB cities not served DIRECTLY by Amtrak:
Phoenix,
Tampa Bay(Yes St. Pete, as Trainman1 said), Texas Rangers(they play in Arlington, between Dallas and Ft. Worth),
San Fran

trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephyr:
trainman 1, though San Francisco Pac Bell (now SBC) Park is not served by Amtrak "trains", Amtrak does provide excellent connections to the stadium.

Well, then you'd have to count both St. Petersburg and Phoenix, too, since they have Thruway bus service (although connections to the stadium aren't as good in either city as they are in San Francisco, obviously).

In May 2002, I took an L.A.-Emeryville-Chicago-L.A. trip on Amtrak; while in the Bay Area, I went to both an A's game and a Giants game, and while in Chicago, I went to both a White Sox game and a Cubs game, so I'm familiar with the merging of Amtrak and baseball.

I know Pacific Bell has been SBC for some time now, but are you saying they've finally renamed the baseball stadium? Seems like the name SBC Park would be easily confusable with PNC Park, except for the fact that one is a phone company and one is a bank. (What ever happened to company names where you can tell what business the company is in from the name? "Amtrak" was kind of a forerunner of modern corporate names, but at least you have some clue about what they do from the "trak" syllable.)

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Answers To Amtrak AmTrivia Quiz #4
By David Sommer

Chrisg got this one. 28 Platforms, 12 used predominantly by Amtrak. Chrisg it should be said, pretty much aced this Quiz.

2. Name three Amtrak stations that predominantly serve US Military Personnel.

Quantico, VA (USMC); Newport News (Norfolk), VA (USN); New London, CT (USN); Croton/Harmon, NY (West Point); Plattsburgh, NY (USAF); Fayetteville, NC (Fort Bragg); Charleston, SC (USN); Columbia, SC (Ft. Jackson); Anniston, AL (US Army Depot); Omaha, NE (Offut AFB-SAC); Oceanside, CA (USMC); San Diego, CA (USN); Guadalupe, CA (USAF); Oakland, CA (USN)

I mis-used the word "predominantly." I think "substantial number of military personnel" would have been a better way of phrasing the question. There are probably a few more stations which could be added to this list.

This was supposed to be an easy question intended to generate coast-to-coast interest, which it seems to have done. UncleBuck44, you changed your initial answer to the Bonus part of Question Three! (How do you plead to the charge against you?) However, you answered #4, #5, and #10 first. Good job! It was RRRich who gave a complete answer to Bonus #3 first.

Mt. Pleasant, IA

Jackson, MS

There was a time when The City of New Orleans passed directly through the small town of Vaughan, MS where Casey Jone's wreck occurred. Vaughan is between the former Amtrak stops of Durant, MS and Canton, MS, and is just a little closer to Canton than Durant. But The City of New Orleans now takes a different route from Memphis, TN to Jackson, MS, and the closest stop to the wreck site is Yazoo City, MS. chrisg got it!

UncleBuck44 answered this question first. It is indeed Tampa, FL. (Where does the word "Ybor" come from? I have no answer for that!)

Oh, boy. I have to apologize. You guys are right. I mis-read my source material! Castroville is "The Artichoke Capitol of the World," but, as someone pointed out, it is just a mere nine minutes by rail north of Salinas, CA. One can continuously travel north by rail from Salinas (Castroville), CA to Churchill, on Hudson Bay.

The first person to name three is chrisg.

UncleBuck44, how'd ya' know? Ottumwa, IA

To the best of my knowledge. Genesis' first assigments were Nos. 48 & 49. chrisg got it!

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
quote:

This was supposed to be an easy question intended to generate coast-to-coast interest, which it seems to have done. UncleBuck44, you changed your initial answer to the Bonus part of Question Three! (How do you plead to the charge against you?) However, you answered #4, #5, and #10 first. Good job! It was RRRich who gave a complete answer to Bonus #3 first.

Dnsommer, what are you talking about. The onlything I changed in my first response was that I addded in number 7's answer, and I put that in about 5 minutes after my initial posting.
I plead way so Innocent.
But wait my bonus question answers to number 3 were correct and so were my 7 stadiums so I got that correct as well since I answered first.

Was I the first to get the Artichoke captial of the world question right?

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 11-28-2003).]

dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
UncleBuck, you did correctly point out that Castroville is The Artichoke Capital of The World. I did not read my source info correctly. I thought it was Salinas. My mistake in effect derailed the whole question. So you still get all the credit.

As for the Bonus Part of Question 3, what I am saying is that at first you named only cities, not trains, as the question specifically asks. Then you returned and added the train names. However, by that time, EspeeFoamer already had answered Bonus #3. I know how you must feel, UncleBuck. It was an easy mistake to make. But it happened, and you know it did. I apologize, but I must stick to my conclusion. You dropped the ball on that one, but did do very well nonetheless. It was an honest mistake. You still have plenty of supporters. Sometimes the outcome of The World Series pivots on one botched play. Stuff happens.

BTW. Sorry RRRRich! At first I said it was you who got Bonus #3 first. The honor goes to EspeeFoamer.

chrisg scored the highest. He may be a more advanced Amtrak fan than we're used to seeing around here. He may even be a plant from some government railfan surveillance agency. It seems like he knows too much. Now I must watch him and Mr. Toy.

Good drink, good meat, good God, let's eat!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-28-2003).]

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Dnsommer, what in sam hill are you talking about!?

Where are you gettting this info that I went back and added the trains or cities or whatever the heck it is you are talking about.
I see that it says I went back and edited my post once(which I did), but from what I KNOW I added Number 7 into that post.

So there you go. The right info. Please never falsly accuse me again.
Unless you have a link proving to me that when I edited my original post, that I added in trains, I will not sit here and have you make a mockery out of me.
BTW, when I edited my message it was before Espeefoamer answered, I know because I edited it before I posted the third message in this thread, and that means I edited it 3 hours before Espeefoamer could answer.

dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
UncleBuck44,

An accusation is either true or false. You says mine is false. Okay. I'm willing to reconsider. I just calls 'em likes I sees 'em, that's all. You say you went back and added #7. I say you added train names to your Bonus answer.

You did bring up a very good point. Sometimes there is indeed a large lapse between when we send our posts and when they appear on the screen. I have noticed this myself. So there is a possibility that what I saw on my screen did not accurately reflect your post.

I assure you I would never mock you, nor anyone else here for that matter. You sound genuinely offended, so I apologize.

I hope you enjoy the quizzes, nevertheless. They are only meant to be fun.

Dave

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
So does that mean I get the Bonus part of 3 and win?
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right. You win.

But I'll be keeping tabs on you, you wily wascal, you!

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-30-2003).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page