RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Surfliner Cutback North of Santa Barbara?

Author Topic: Surfliner Cutback North of Santa Barbara?
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the recent past there was a Surfliner that traveled north to San Luis Obispo in the late morning/early afternoon (before the Starlight). Was it cut back at the last timetable change?

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was no cutback.The train still runs to SLO.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 11-25-2003).]

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but be forewarned! Today, California's new governor announced large budget cuts aimed at the state's transportation spending.

He has brought in Jeb Bush's budget hatchet person from Florida.

Will The Terminator be terminating some Amtrak California services in the near future?

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by espeefoamer:
There was no cutback.The train still runs to SLO.

I only see one that gets in to SLO at 8:30pm. I thought there was another Surfliner that got in earlier, but maybe not...will look at my older timetables.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I am aware there has only ever been the one surfliner that continues to SLO (as at present that's the one that leaves LAUS at approx 3.00pm, Santa Barbara at 5.30, arriving SLO at about 8.30).
However, what you may have seen (I certainly remember seeing it on Trainweb)was the provisional timetable for the planned Coast Daylight service from LA to San Francisco. Northbound it was proposed to run about two hours in front of the Starlight and was due to arrive at SLO at about 1.30pm - the reason I remember it so well is that it was scheduled to stop at my favourite haunt, Grover Beach (next to Pismo), which the Starlight passes through without stopping. Alas, the Daylight train has not yet come to fruition although there is a Amtrak bus advertised in the Surfliner timetable as the Coast Daylight which runs all the way from Santa Barbara to SFO.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Yes; I searched back and there is only one Surfliner. I must have been looking during the summer, as I recall thinking the entire northbound journey would be in daylight. Oh well.

I had seen the provisional schedule for the other train but had never heard that it was close to being funded.

I had considered riding the bus for a split second, but I believe it was you who reminded us some time back that the train passes around Vandenberg AFB/Point Conception right by the seashore...far far from route 101...and I'd much rather travel by the shore

MP

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page