RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak dinning menus

Author Topic: Amtrak dinning menus
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats with Amtrak's dinning car menu? breakfast is the only thing that taste good on there. Why?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like their Burgers for Lunch with chips
and the 10 oz. NY strip steak served with Baked potatoe and veggies for Dinner.

Really I like breakfast the least, only liking the Pancakes.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blancoj
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blancoj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JONATHON:
Whats with Amtrak's dinning car menu? breakfast is the only thing that taste good on there. Why?

I've only been on one train trip
thus far (eastbound CA Zephyr in
Oct), but I thought the food was
pretty darned good. Breakfast was
good, the burgers at lunch were
yummy, and the dinner was good, too.
We had the turkey medallions and
the portions were so huge we could
have split one dinner between the
two of us. In fact, we were so tired
of being fed that we skipped dinner the second night.

Sort of reminds me of a cruise ship,
or being at Gramma's! (eat, eat, eat!)

[This message has been edited by blancoj (edited 12-01-2003).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience, dinners are the most consistent for quality. Breakfast and lunch tends to be hit and miss. Some are great, some are so-so.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most meals I have had in Amtrak dining cars have been from good to great.I have rarly had a bad meal in a dining car.Food in the lounge,however,I find hardly edible.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burgers?
I've never seen any bugers on the Starlight's menus

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for littletrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MR toy how can u talk about the food without talking about the cheesecake? i thought u loved it?

In reality the CHESECAKE SUCKS but Mr Toy i still love u

Posts: 117 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my humble opinion, I think that it would be true to say "The hungrier you are, the better the menu looks". If you are hungry, the food on the train will be great.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chocolate Bombe Dessert is "Da Bombe"! Absolutely delicious! As far as other good stuff on the menu, the old Spicy Pork dish they had last winter was great but that has since been removed from the menu. The Meat Loaf I had on the Lake Shore once was pretty good, the steaks are generally always good and I had the absolute best pancakes I've ever had on Amtrak last September on the Capitol Limited going to DC!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JONATHON:
Burgers?
I've never seen any bugers on the Starlight's menus

I know they served burgers for lunch on the Starlight in 2002, because I distinctly remember having one while going through Santa Barbara. (They served burgers for lunch on every train then, because of the single national menu.)

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The burger everyone is talking about was on the single national dining car menu that Amtrak instituted in mid-2002. It was a grilled Steak Burger served with Chips and a pickle, I think it sold for like $8.00 or something. I had one on the Lake Shore Limited, the roll was good and crusty. The burger wasn't bad. I think they got rid of that burger when they updated the dining car menus again and now its a Black Angus Steak Burger which is also good.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burgers, and Steaks rule then I guess
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page