RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A DINNING CAR QUESTION

Author Topic: A DINNING CAR QUESTION
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now back to AMTRAK related topics.

I would like to know if there is a time limit placed on passengers to finish their meals in the dinning car. If the train is crowded, I assume that the seating in the dinning car is at a priemium (especially durring dinner time.

Does AMTRAK have a certain time limit for people to eat and finish their meal and leave the dinning car?

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not realy, but once you finished the'll ask you if your ready to go back to your seat kind of like a polite way of saying "go away please".

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you choose the last seating for a meal in the dining car, the staff will give you some slack. But obviously, it's bad form to hang on long after everyone else has left; the staff is entitled to a little down time too.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with the previous answers. I tend to prefer later dinners because they allow you to linger longer with your table companions.

But this brings me to a related issue. Some years ago there were experiments on the Sunset Limited with 24 hour dining car service. Some interesting things happened.

Reservations were no longer required, because the dining car never filled to capacity at any one time. Servers liked it because they could pace themselves better, rather than having intense rush periods. Plus they took home greater than average tips. Passengers liked it because it allowed them to eat on their own schedule, and not Amtrak's. I think dining car revenues also increased. It seemed like a win-win situation, but for reasons I am not entirely clear on, it wasn't adopted systemwide. Some attributed it to the fact that the idea didn't originate with Amtrak brass, but rather at a lower level, but there may be more to it than that.

For those wondering, the graveyard shift was staffed with a skeleton crew of one chef and one server, and a limited late night menu was offered. This was great for people boarding or detraining at odd hours.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2HOT4U
Member # 2928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2HOT4U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting Mr.Toy very ineteresting
Posts: 8 | From: Here and There, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, the "all night diner" concept is interesting. Would you please cite your source on this experiment on the Sunset Limited? I would like to get more details.
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy's suggestion of a 24-hour dining is exactly the sort of idea Amtrak ought to adopt if it hopes to survive and flourish.

I like to think of myself as Amtrak's biggest fan but it is clear to me, especially since joining this forum, that the organization is stuck in a rut. And like most ruts, it must feel like a cozy and comfortable place to be.

To passengers, especially people new to railroading, the dining car is a treasured and anticipated experience. Yet, imagine their frustration when they 1) are passed over in making a reservation because they happen to have gone to the bathroom 2) they miss their seating because the PA system isn't working 3) are herded in and out of the dining car like cattle (howbeit tactfully) because their 30 minute slot has expired.

The magic of a passenger train is that cars can be added during holiday seasons or times of national emergency. But despite this fact, there probably will only be one dining car to accommodate all the people. This creates a bottleneck. Make the dining car open 24 hours a day and things will become less hectic, like the way a four lane highway will accommodate rush hour traffic better than a two lane highway.

All this is obvious and common sense, but I just wanted to put my two cents in, if only as a way of welcoming our new moderator, Irishchieftain.

Welcome aboard!

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, an all hours diner. Sounds interesting. Would be great for those who board the Southwest Chief at Kingman and Needles as well as the late night Kansas stops.
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention when the train is late - folks waiting at a station for a late running train might not necessarily want to risk going for a meal and returning at the "predicted" arrival time.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twice I have caught the westbound Zephyr in Grand Junction,and each time all the dinner reservations had been handed out and I had to wait until the last seating to eat.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 24 hour diner would change the cost of upgrades on some stops.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Good point, Sammy.

A 24-hour diner would probably play havoc with the bookkeeping system, which is all the more reason why, were such a system adopted, that Amtrak stop giving "free" meals to those who buy sleepers.

I don't think Amtrak would go broke, or its sleeping compartments run empty, if it simply focused on charging people for accommodations, period. Afterall, how many hotels and motels give people free meals for staying in their rooms? The only parallel that comes to mind is a cruise ship, but that analogy fails when one considers that cruise ships do not have "coach" compartments were passengers are denied meals.

I know the gentle readers of my posting are probably outraged by my words, since most of you have the means to afford sleepers and probably expect free meals. But how can Amtrak justify giving out more than one free meal to parties of more than one individual who occupy a single compartment?

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how would they determine what constituted 3 meals a day? One meal per 8 hours? A set of meal tokens based on that average?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the heck was that?That last post,and attached website have nothing to do with dining cars.Way off topic.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page