RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak and Tardiness

Author Topic: Amtrak and Tardiness
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother is finishing up his first Amtrak train ride ever. From DC to Orlando the Silver Meteor is running 5 hours late. We are still waiting for the arrival. Weather is not the cause, probably just freight trains. Is their any recourse for the inconvenience?
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There used to be recourse for delays but I don't think there is any more, now that Mr. Gunn has eliminated the Satisfaction Guarantee.

Amtrak takes responsibility for missed connections however and comes up with all sorts of creative ways to get a passenger to his destination, but unlike airplanes, they make no promises about arriving on time.

Actually, five hours late doesn't seem so bad. Last time I took the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Albuquerque, the train was three hours late just leaving the station.

Another time, the Southwest Chief arrived in Chicago at about midnight when it should have been there at 3:20 p.m. And to make matters worse, the fellow who was supposed to meet me at Union Station couldn't make it because his car broke down.

So there I was at midnight, in front of the great Grecian Columns of Union Station. The cold, damp night air was starting to settle on my weary bones and the homeless were beginning to gather. Fortunately, I remembered that I had a cousin who I had not seen for 30 years living a few miles away. I picked up the phone and called him.

"Hello, remember me, I'm Chuck!"

"Of course I remember you," he said.

"Well, I'm stuck here outside Union Station and fearful of losing my life. Mind if I crash at your place?"

"What can I say," he said paradoxically, "You're my cousin."

So I hailed a cab and for $10 I eventually arrived at his palatial townhouse. We had a warm reunion a bottle of beer, a bit of chicken and then I crashed in his well-appointed guest room.

Recourse for delays, you ask? There is no recourse for delays. There is only the satisfaction of knowing that you are now a bit older and wiser.

I suppose a nice way to vent might be to write a letter to somebody in Congress demanding that passenger trains get priority over freight. But such a letter might very well just end up alienating some crucial vote on 2004 financing for Amtrak.

So, my advise is to take your brother out for a nice dinner and congratulate him on his arrival. I mean, look at the bright side, he could have been 50 hours late.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 12-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 12-09-2003).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5+ hours late the train finally arrived, and funny enough, we had been more worried and upset for him than my brother who was enduring the actual on-train experience! Crazy, I know. He said that you actually had to laugh at the whole thing, that it was a comedy of errors from the start. Even the A/C on the train car he was in was broke. The reason for the delay turned out to be mechanical in nature in the originating engine out of NYC. After it was all said in done he will still travel Amtrak and would even look into get a Florida rail pass. Amazing that this turned out to be a good experience for him :-) He said you just roll with the punches, enjoy the ride, and that it still beat driving a car for 17 hours!
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear things turned out well.

I've was thinking a lot about your posting last night and all the delays I have experienced throughout the years. That made me reflect on my feelings of anxiety and apprehension as I approached my destination, long hours after the trains appointed arrival time.

I was thinking that so much of the frustration and problems I experienced could have been greatly alleviated had there been a pay phone on the train, in coach. Had there been a phone, I would have been able to check on my connections and also reassure those who were anxiously waiting for me.

If memory serves me correct, the Adirondack had a phone in the cafe car, but really, not many of the other trains I have ridden. As I recall, the rates were about $2 a minute, but such high rates have a way of limiting the length of calls (which is a good thing if you are waiting to use the phone) and they can be a Godsend if the train is running late.

Having said all this, I wonder if you guys have any stories to relate about using the phone on an Amtrak train? Also, I wonder whether those of you who own cellphones have had good success in using these devices when you were on board a long haul Amtrak train.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I of course have been on MANY MANY tardy AMTRAK trains -- you just have to plan for that. Experienced rail travelers, and those people who have been following this forum for a while, will generally know which trains run "fairly close to schedule" and which trains are chronically late. I for one usually have a "contingency plan" for late trains/missed connections.

As far as phones go, this is where cell phones would really be great to have. I am about the only person I know who does not have a cell phone, but I may get one soon. They could come in really handy on trains, since trains in general do NOT have pay phones on them, except some of the trains in the NE, I believe. (Do Acela trains now have phones on board?)

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 12-11-2003).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, rich, i don't have one either and don't plan on getting one. That aside, if people riding would just tell those meeting them to check with Amtrak about arrival times, much of the anxiety about a late train arrival would be avoided.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
I don't own a cell phone either and really don't want to get one. I think I heard, however, that a person can purchase a cell phone at Walmart for a nominal fee and pay for a block of minutes without committing himself to a long term contract. Such a deal would be great, assuming the thing actually worked *everywhere*. It is my understanding that sometimes cell phones do not work *everywhere*.

Mr. rmiller, I take issue with your comment. I am 46 years old. My mother is approaching 90. My sisters and relatives are getting older. Although I do appreciate it when family meets me at the station, I have learned that people, especially friends with families, really appreciate it when a traveller can figure out a way to get from his arrival point to their home.

Furthermore, I don't particularly like the idea of my Mother, for example, driving at her age. Other than getting reassurance from Amtrak's Julie, I don't necessarily think it must be the responsibility of the host to keep tabs on the guest. Indeed, in a polite, civilized society, the situation should be exactly opposite.

My point is, I don't always *expect* people to meet me at the station. But if I am going to be on my own, I need some tools in order to insure my survival and well being. If Amtrak is not going to get us there in time, they should at least provide us with a phone so that we can sort out the details.

JDE
Member # 2817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently took a trip from Boston to San Diego and tho I only used my cell phone twice, I had it turned on most of the time. There is an icon on the screen which indicates whether the phone is in range of a tower and just out of curiosity, looked at it now and then. Near most cities, no problem. But get out in Arizona, New Mexico or even in the Berkshires in Massachusetts, and it doesn't work. Gotta have a company tower around and Verizon doesn't have them everywhere yet.
Posts: 12 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chucky - are you behind the times or is the UK usage of phones far greater than the US?!?! The deal you are referring to is called Pay-As-You-Go over here in the UK. You can buy top-up cards in many shops. You generally pay for the phone though, whereas pay-monthly you often get it "free".

As for coverage, well over here in the over-populated UK, coverage is about 97% on average - but that is population coverage, not land coverage, which is more like 75%. As for the USA, coverage there would probably be pretty dire out in the sticks, especially through the hills and mountains.

Personally I'd rather nobody used their phones on long distance trains. I enjoy the peace and quiet...

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
geoffm,

I am most definitely behind the times and quite proud of it. I drive an '84 Volvo because of its relative simplicity. My gas stove dates back to the 50's and not only looks quite charming, with its chrome accents and white porcelain body, but performs better than most of the newer models.

I don't fly in airplanes at all because I believe that flying is for the birds: If a man was meant to fly he'd have wings.

Cell phones and beepers are for those who are so despirate to stay in touch with the outside world that they are willing to pay huge sums of money to wireless phone companies.

It drives me crazy when people use cell phones in my presence. They don't seem to care whether or not it bothers me so I have employed the strategy of moving in on them and listening to every word they have to say: They don't like that.

Yes, I am definitely behind the times because the times move much too quickly for my taste. I'm not even for high speed train travel, 90 mph seems just fine. What's the rush?

Some people say travelling by train is behind the times. All I know is that travelling by train is a meditative, contemplative experience for me.

In a week I will climb aboard the Southwest Chief and make a journey from Albuquerque to Chicago and then to Milwaukee, from Milwaukee to New York, then Montreal, Ottawa and home again. I am so excited, I can barely contain myself.

I hope this somehow addresses your posting.

Cordially, Chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 12-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 12-11-2003).]

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I hope you didn't take it the wrong way! I'm 27 and old fashioned. Sometimes simplicity is the key to success, which is probably why a lot of old equipment works and new equipment fails.

Luckily the UK had a law enter into effect last week which banned the use of mobile phones while driving, unless it is a hands-free style.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:

My point is, I don't always *expect* people to meet me at the station. But if I am going

I don't recall suggesting passengers should "expect" someone to meet them at the station, but if I'm meeting someone at a train, plane or bus station, you can bet your life I'm gonna do everything I can to find out what time the vehicle will arrive and not rely on a published schedule. Seems like common sense.

your point is valid, though, all trains should be equipped with a public phone.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page