RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak's unReserved Seatting

Author Topic: Amtrak's unReserved Seatting
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally do not like this policy. Since I'm a west coast person, I usually take the Coast Starlight and I thus want a window and a nice view. Therefore I usually book a window seat. However, since Amtrak doesnt reserve seats, eventhough the ticket has a seat # on it, someitmes im not able to get a good seat. However, this really isnt that bad of a problem b/c there is always the sightseeing/parlor car.

However, three months ago I was taking AMTRAK from New York to Washignton DC on a weekday. Although I had a reserved seat, Amtrak had overbooked the train and there was a mad dash down the elevator and Penn Central for a seat on the train. I was carrying a heavy suitcase and was almost trampled. However, I managed to run to the farthest away coach and secure a seat, however many people who had planned their day around taking the metroliner were left w/o seats. This seems unfair to me. If Amtrak is full, they shouldnt sell anymore tickets!

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for littletrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree, but all forms of travel over book. on airplanes its even worse because u cant have standing room only. AMtrak is a business and they know that alot of the time people dont show up. it sucks for those who dont get a seat but again its a business.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) There is no standing room on amtrak trains...

2) Amtrak isnt a business, its run by the goverment, the point of amtrak isnt to make $$$ but to provide transportation services

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak was set up as a For Profit Corporation by Congress.They ARE in it to make a buck!

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for littletrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at least on the pacific surfliner there is standing room only, maybe not on the east coast
Posts: 117 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Polarbearucla. Amtrak should reserve seats. In 1972 when I rode Amtrak's El Capitan, we had specific seats reserved in advance. If they could do it back then with such crude computer systems, why can't they do it now?

Airlines also overbook, but when there is a problem (and I have found it to be rare), the airlines treat the customers with respect, and usually give the customers free future travel, free nights in a quality hotel, or other amenities. Amtrak just jams the passengers on and acts like it is the passenger's fault.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak designates trains as reserved, all-reserved or not reserved. It's indicated in the timetables. Most of the long distance trains are all-reserved and there are no seating problems.

Some of the commuter trains, and many long-distance trains in the northeast corridor are non-reserved and these can, indeed, get quite crowded...most usually in bad, cold weather it seems.

Editted for atrocious spelling.

[This message has been edited by Kairho (edited 12-10-2003).]

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pacific surfiner, is 100% unreserved.
The coast starlight is "reserved" technically, but its just a person that assigns you a seat with a pen beofre you board. Its not decided when you purchase your ticket, but that can be good, if I didnt get a window seat I would be real angry!

-Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>The pacific surfiner, is 100% unreserved.

Not quite. Only the coaches are unreserved. Business class is reserved.

Also, there is a difference between being reserved and having a seat assignment.

[This message has been edited by Kairho (edited 12-10-2003).]

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a Voulenteer Coach Attendent out of LAX, The only trains that I have worked that have had Reserved seating are BC in the Surfliner and the Long Haul trains. UnReserved seating is ona first come first serve basis, if there are not enough seats on the train you may get stuck standing. Reserved Seating is ASIGNED BY THE CAR ATTENDENT. There are no seat # on the tickets to my knowladge. If my car is full, I will generaly try to find room elsewhere for you prior to arrival at the stating of your departure. If in the undire circumstance that a seat is not available, we are required to give you the first ones that open. A ticket, however, does not gaureente a seat, rather just travel from point A to B. On an unreserved train IE: Surfliner, the conductor may not allow passengers to bored, and instead require that you wait for the next train. On a Reserved train we have to let you on, however we don NOT have to give you a seat. If I am unclear in this post ask me and I will get back to you. I will get off my soap box now.

-Fumes

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always been my understanding that, on long-distance trains with "reserved" coach seating, AMTRAK will simply reserve as many seats that a particular coach will hold -- they assign car numbers, but not seat numbers. As someone else said, when you board, the coach attendant, who meets you at the door when you board, will assign you a seat no. Is that still how it's done? I don't really know, since I usually go first class on my trips, and if I go in coach, it is usually a shorter trip with "unreserved" seating.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup, that's pretty much correct, rrrich, except that if the car is not very crowded, the attendant may not assign a specific seat when you board and will let you pick out your own.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littletrain:
on the pacific surfliner there is standing room only, maybe not on the east coast

Around Christmas-New Year's I have been on the Surfliner with several standing passengers in coach. Business Class was sold out.

As for the east coast, once several years ago I rode the Carolinian southbound and could not find a seat. I stayed in the cafe car until south of Richmond, when a seat became available. I had been told by the on board staff to "find a seat" but they never provided any useful info like 'car 3 has a seat' etc.

Some normally unreserved trains become reserved at holiday time, but as was mentioned that means you have a 'ticket to ride' and NOT a specific seat

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could the capacity problems be related to equipment breakdowns and turn-around problems? I understand there is something of a rolling stock shortage.

David (a.k.a "Dave")

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to the question about equipment problems, yes that sometimes is a factor, others its because there is a group traveling a shortdistance and whoever makes up the equipment doesent want to add another car to the consist and we end up stuck. I have been on trains where we have had to assign the seats in the sightseer lounge.

Yes, when you bored the train I ask to see your ticket, at that point I will either assign you a seat # or ask you to please move to the next coach depending on your destination/availbility of seats.

Hope that helps

-Fumes

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandy32
Member # 1639

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandy32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If ViaRail can give seating assignments, Amtrak can do it, too. In October, except for the International, we had assigned seats our entire trip to Quebec City. When equipment of one train changed, the staff was given a revised list and the second car was used with the revisions.
Posts: 7 | From: DeKalb, Illinois,USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Konstantin:
I agree with Polarbearucla. Amtrak should reserve seats. In 1972 when I rode Amtrak's El Capitan, we had specific seats reserved in advance. If they could do it back then with such crude computer systems, why can't they do it now?

When my mother and I took our first Amtrak trip on the Coast Starlight in 1974, we also had pre-assigned seats. Our tickets assigned us to car 1114 (southbound) and 1414 (northbound). I don't remember the seat numbers, but I do remember looking for our assigned seats. I do think it is a good idea, but I don't recall the system lasted long. On subsequent trips it was open seating.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Coast Starlight is the only train I've ever traveled on where the conductor gave passengers specific seat numbers as they boarded.

Whenever I've ridden in "reserved" coaches on the Lake Shore Limited, Pennsylvanian, Vermonter, Three Rivers, Adirondack, Crescent, or even the Cascades, the policy has always been "sit where you want."

Personally, I prefer it that way. Some Amtrak seats are flatter than pancakes. Others align poorly with the windows. And some Amfleet seats don't align with the windows at all -- sit in one and you'll spend your entire trip staring at the car wall.

I'd rather choose from the best of whatever seats are available, rather than let a conductor pick it for me.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe seats numbers allocated by the coach attendant on boarding are usually only done when the coach is expected to be busy. I've boarded the same train at different times of year and had assigned seats only during the peak season. And I usually end up with an aisle seat next to a snoring, overweight, and smelly individual... needless to say, a lot of time gets spent in the lounge car on those occasions.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On several east coast trains, the Capital Limited, Carolinian, and the Crescent, even though it is 'Reserved Steating' you just sat wherever you wanted. I agree with 'dilly' that this gives you the chance to move if you get stuck next to an 'uncomfortable person(s)' or crying babies, etc. I take a lot of pictures out of the windows too and I prefer also to get a clean window with no structural obstructions. The main thing I noticed about the 'Reserved' coach seating that I really don't like is that do tend to jam everone up in a single coach heading for the same city destination but another coach may be half or nearly empty. This has happened on several occasions.

[This message has been edited by dmwnc1959 (edited 12-21-2003).]

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1959:
The main thing I noticed about the 'Reserved' coach seating that I really don't like is that do tend to jam everone up in a single coach heading for the same city destination but another coach may be half or nearly empty.

Whenever that happens, I simply grab my belongings and my seat check, and move to the emptier, quieter car. I've never encountered a conductor who had a problem with it. Some don't really notice. The rest don't seem to care.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page