RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak continues 30 percent fare discount through fall

Author Topic: Amtrak continues 30 percent fare discount through fall
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys trainsmag.com just reported that faced with a continued slow travel market, Amtrak has extended its 30 percent off fare promotion through the fall.

The 30 percent discount is available on reservations made through November 16 for travel through December 14. For details and restrictions, click on www.amtrak.com.

Despite the overall decline in travel, Amtrak in July boasted its best month in ticket revenue, and its best month of ridership in 22 years. Slightly more than 2.1 million passengers rode Amtrak trains in July, Pushing ridership to more than 19.6 million for the fiscal year, an increase of 5.3 percent from last year. Revenue is up 8.9 percent, to $984 million, with $110 million earned in July.

Amtrak did not release its expense costs for the period.

well guys what is your reaction to this.

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose if Amtrak can attract more folks with the discount that might help, but they really do need to focus on customer satisfaction.

What they don't need is 10% more angry people asking for vouchers.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Amtrak getting more revenue by attracting more customers at 30% off, than it would by attracting the same (or a bit higher) amount of customers with regular priced fares?
(I can clarify if you wish)

With expenses slowly rising, I hope that possible revenues are not being lost by the extended discount.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The discounts seem like a joke. I need a discount on the sleeping car...not just the rail fee.

I do not fly, so I take my hubby and kids, and it adds up, especially if the ONE family room is taken.

It would be great if they offered room and NO food at a discount. My kids are not into eating that much, and would do just fine on a box of cereal , a sandwhich and dinner in the dining car.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If AMTRAK can fill their sleepers with no discount, then I can see no reason why they need to offer one for sleeper space.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page