RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Seattle/Los Angeles/Orlando and back - woman traveling alone

Author Topic: Seattle/Los Angeles/Orlando and back - woman traveling alone
LikesAmtrak
Member # 2184

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for LikesAmtrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! This seems like a nice forum, and from what I’ve seen you people seem to be friendly. I hope you can give me some advice, please.

I am a single woman traveling alone.

I saw a good price on Amtrak "Rail Sale" tickets from Los Angeles, CA to Orlando, FL and back (only $25 each way), so I bought the tickets.

I’ve never been to LA or Orlando and I’ve never taken this route before. Now I’m afraid to do the trip. I have some questions and need some help, please.

Here’s my itinerary:
Seattle to LA - on Coast Starlight, haven’t got ticket yet, but appears to arrive in LA at 9:00 pm.
LA to Orlando - on Sunset Limited, "rail sale" ticket: depart LA 10:30 pm 1/18/04 ... arrive Orlando 6:45 pm 1/21/04.
** Spend one night in hotel in Orlando.
Orlando to LA - on Sunset Limited, "rail sale" ticket: depart Orlando at 1:45 pm 1/22 .... arrive LA at 6:40 am 1/25/04.
LA to Seattle - on Coast Starlight, haven’t got ticket yet, but appears to depart LA at 10:15 am

Here are my concerns, questions:

- I feel safe on the train, but I am wonder about the area around the LA and Orlando train stations, and getting a taxi to a hotel. Especially at night by myself. How safe is the area around LA Union Station at night for a woman alone? How about area around Orlando station?

- Any suggestions for a safe hotel very close to the LA Union Station? Safe hotel near Orlando train station? (Hopefully not too expensive?)

- I’ve read these trains often run late and I see there is only a short time between trains to & from LA. Should I count on a "guaranteed connection"? What will happen if the train is late? Would it be better to book a hotel room in LA?
(NOTE: It appears to me that if I booked a hotel room in LA that I would need to book one for 2 nights, since the Coast Starlight doesn’t arrive in LA until 9:00 pm and the Sunset Limited doesn’t depart until 10:30 pm. ... Since I imagine the checkout time for the hotel might be around noon, I would not want to "wander around" LA by myself waiting until the 10:30 pm Sunset Limited train departs. I would just stay in the hotel room, and maybe order delivery food?)

- Any other suggestions for a woman traveling alone? I’d like to take the trip, but I’m scared, and wondering now if I should try it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks very much!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long post, I will answer what I understood.
Los Angeles Union Station is not exzactly in the nicest area of Los ANgeles, but it is very safe around the station I would say! If you are catching a cab, you should not have any trouble even if your train is late. The coast Starlight is usually late!
About the Sunset Limited...Yes it is very incinvenient that it is a 10:30 PM train, I to fidn that very inconvenient. I think its safe to get some outside food, but that 100% depends ont he hotel you stay in. I would call 1800-USA-RAIL and ask for the Los ANgeles Stations #. They would know about local hotels. But dont be afraid to wlak outside to get some food! By away you can do the same in Orlando dor hte stations#

Hope this helps!!

-Anton

pillsbury09@excite.com
AOL IM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The area around the Orlando station isn't "that" bad (but it's not the best area either), and if the Sunset arrives very late (which happens often), the station may not even be open, and there are no hotels right near the Orlando station. Orlando station is in close proximity to Orlando Regional Medical Center, so there are mainly medical buildings in the vicinity of the station.

I suggest you take the Sunset to Winter Park instead (5 miles north of Orlando) -- the Winter Park station is in a much more pleasant environment, being right downtown adjacent to Park Avenue, which consists of many upper-end retail stores, cafes, restaurants, etc. As far as hotels, I can't think of anything that close to Winter Park -- you might try the Radisson or Embassy Suites, which are approximately halfway between the Orlando and Winter Park stations. I think you would enjoy getting on and off the Sunset at Winter Park much more than in downtown Orlando.

(P.S. I live not very far from Winter Park)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Starlight-Sunset connection - either one train will wait for the other, if the delay isn't too long, or you'll be bused between the trains. Last time I was on the Sunset it was delayed nearly an hour waiting for the Starlight at LA. The time before that, arriving on the late Sunset into LA, passengers were taken off at Ontario and bussed some way up the CA coast to catch up with the Starlight. So you could be in for several hours on a bus!

If you are REALLY late, then Amtrak will put you up in a hotel or find alternative travel arrangements for you (Greyhound or, more rarely, air travel). You usually get given a choice in these circumstances.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a hotel just north of the station in L.A.It is about a two block walk and is visible from the station.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will love the trip. I noticed that $25 sale fare too. what a deal..$50 round trip cross country. I ve taken the Sunset Limited and the Coast Starlight many times. Many people travel alone on the train. You will always meet some nice people on the train, during meal times and in the Sightseer lounge car, and its a wonderful way to relax and see the country.

Im not that familiar with Orlando, but there is a Days Inn two blocks from the station that you can easily walk to with no problems. Don t worry about being alone. Many solo travelers take the train. Its a nice way to travel and enjoy your trip!

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although most of the people on the train are very pleasant, you could run across the occasional person you would not like to spend the entire trip listening to. Just have an exit plan: you need a nap, you have some reading to do, you want to see the movie. There are single seats in the lounge car. You can move between the lounge 1st floor, 2nd floor and your coach seat.

I recommend using the dining car as often as you can afford. You will always be seated with up to 3 others at your table. It is a tradition of rail travel to use this as an opportunity to meet your fellow passengers, and they are sometimes people you do not encounter in the coach or lounge.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking a very similar trip starting next week in Toronto with my North America Rail Pass. On the 22nd of this month I will be departing Seattle on the Coast Starlight, and on the 28th I'll be departing Los Angeles on The Sunset #2 to Winter Park Florida. In L.A. I usually stay at one of several downtown hotels depending on the price. This year the Hyatt Regency quoted me $89 which is a really fantastic
price for a bedroom for one night in a first class hotel. RRRich suggested Winter Park which is my destination as I wait overnight for the next day's Silver Meteor for New York. According to the AAA guidebooks, the best hotel in town is the Mt. Vernon Inn which is only about one mile from the station. Again I was quoted an excellent rate of just $79.00. As RRRich also suggested, Winter Park is an upscale community, and you might want to detrain there rather than Orlando (which is only five miles away).

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmarch
Member # 2953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG- Wow what a great fare! $50 round trip- wow- where do you go to find those fares? My son and I are taking a trip on the Sunset Limited soon from New Orleans to Orlando and our tickets costed $172 for us both to travel.
Posts: 33 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check for bed-and-breakfast places in Winter Park. It's an absolutely charming little town, with a nice park adjacent to the train station. I'm told there are a number of B&Bs and a couple of small hotels in town.

Especially if you don't have a car, get off there and spend the night. You won't be sorry.

If you do have time in LA, either way, walk a block to Olvera Street (ask a ticket agent for directions). It's a street of Mexican restaurants, many very good. Nothing like chilaquiles for breakfast!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page