RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » playing games on Amtrak

Author Topic: playing games on Amtrak
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the Parlor Car or Lounge Car have board games that you can borrow to play with while on a trip?

For example, if a passenger wanted to get into a game of Chess with another passenger in either the Parlor Car or Lounge Car, does Amtrak carry games for use or does one have to bring his/her own game aboard if he/she wants to play.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for littletrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak does have some select board games for those first class passengers in the parlor car. I am not sure just exactly which games, but i do know that they are seldom used.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get bored on the train, just do what I do, exsplore!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll want to bring your own games. That's what I've done in the past - bringing my own cards and Monopoly game. It helps to pass the time. Some trains may vend Amtrak playing cards, but don't count on it.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Amtrak playing cards, I made shure to get some since Amtrak has decided to cancel there line of Coast Starlight soviniors(if thats how its spelled)

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon, a suggestion for your Christmas list: a dictionary!!! ;-) Souvenir

Some trains organise entertainment in the afternoon. I've had a few games of bingo before now. I've also heard of a quiz happening, although I didn't join it.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God one geoffm!
lol, he speeled "soviionrs" HAHA

AMTRAK has alot of board games!
Dont pack your bags with board games!
But you can only have accesz to these if your on the Coast Starlight and in a sleeper!

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very nice couple I met at dinner this September on the Empire Builder (returning to MN from their wedding at Crater Lake), said they had a board game called "Empire Builder".

It involved building a railroad. Has anyone out there heard of it?

And Geoffm: I am also amused by the creative spelling on this board, but I can't resist asking you if your dictionary has 'organise' in it? -lol. Can the computer savvy youth of today survive without spell check?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Geoff's defense [sic]

on his side of the pond, "organise" is properly spelled. It is our pigeonization that has brought about our "zed" inclusion.

Guessing Geoff has a wry sense of humour and chose to include "organise" for that very purpose.

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"organise"is the proper British spelling ."Organize is American.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all lost me???

Whats next, are we going to get into the way I spelled "exsplore"

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've played Empire Builder a few times. It takes awhile to play, so it's an all day game. It involves drawing one's railroad across the North American continent, while shipping goods from cards that are drawn at the beginning of the game.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to hear more about this game it sounds good!.CG96, think you could tell us more!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a game called "Rail Baron," which sounds a lot like "Empire Builder," but I haven't played it for several years. I have often thought of taking it on my train trips, but I typically spend most of my time on my trips following my route maps and taking videos of the scenery. With "Rail Baron," you choose a railroad and roll dice to see where you are going, you collect money at the end of each trip, and you pay rent if you use someone's rail lines that aren't your own, and you pay for the use of someone else's lines.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a British citizen living in Britain using the British dictionary! Hence organise and not organize.

I've heard of the game Empire Builder too, but never played it. A quick search on Ebay found 4 for sale: http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?sokeywordredirect=1&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&satitle=empire+builder&from=R8&sacategory=233&catref=C1

And a description: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/168

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See: www.coolgames.com

or, do a search for Mayfair Games, of Bedford Park, IL.

For a description of Empire Builder, see: http://www.coolgames.com/mfg-cat/traingames/0450-00.htm

For a description of "Express," which is a game I've had much fun playng with other staff during my years as a camp counselor, see: http://www.coolgames.com/mfg-cat/traingames/0458-00.htm

Both are fun games, but I've had more practice with Express.
Perhaps this thread should be moved to the "Games" forum.

[This message has been edited by CG96 (edited 12-15-2003).]

traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are no parlor cars anymore just the lounge area below the observation car which is usually a dump manned by an employee who opens the lounge whenever he/she pleases and is usually unfriendly and bored. if your thinking of parlor cars of times past you will be greatly dissapointed not only by the lounge pit but by the entire low life amtrak environment. my train riding reaches back to the 40's. believe me those times are gone forever although the dining car is making slow progress from styro foam to reheating prepared meals.
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Speaking of Amtrak staff that could care less of whether or not you exsist you should look at this topic:
http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/001553.html

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 12-15-2003).]

sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traveler,
The Coast Starlight runs the parlour car
the lounge cars on the other trrains are fine; I enjoyed them.
Geoff: nothing wrong with the American spelling. The British spelling is not superior to the American in any sense. WHy on earth spell 'centre' or 'colour'? To Americans, it's illogical.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Sutton - I never stated any superiority one way or the other between US and British spelling. Somebody asked why I spelt that way, and that was my answer. As to why "colour" and the like is perceived by you as illogical, well that is lost in the mists of time. Why "sneakers" and not "trainers" (as in training shoes)? Why "coe-lin Powell" and not "Coll-in Powell"? Why say garage as "ger-arge" and not "garidge"? Language is a mystery sometimes. No single language can be better than another.

But the universal language here is trains, whether they be on (rail) ways or roads, so let's get back to that!

Geoff M.

trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprised nobody pointed this out...

Amtrak has apparently endorsed British spellings: "Parlour," as in "Pacific Parlour Car," is the British spelling of "parlor."

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for the record ITS SOUVENIR!!!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoffm, I owe you an apology since it was I who suggested organise was mispelled. I am a thoroughly embarrassed bloody bloke. If I had consulted my wife or her Oxford English Dictionary she would have corrected me, or maybe even sent me looking for a flat to let. She tends to use "organisize". Run me over with a tyre!
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

No problem - I assumed you thought I was American!

Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page