RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief..Lake Shore Limited questions.....

Author Topic: Southwest Chief..Lake Shore Limited questions.....
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK more questions..ok I leave on Wednesday and I want to know how luggage works. Ok I want to only bring one luggage.. do I need one of those luggage on wheels with the handles or will a standard large square luggage be able to fit in the luggage departments (like what you would bring on a plane)? Also can I go down to luggage anytime to get things or would that be too much? See I thought about bringing a smaller bag for little items I may need like cd walkman, blanket, bathroom stuff (which by the way are the bathrooms big enough for a fast wash up..I'm in coach, so no shower and what is a good time to wash up, so I don't get in others way?), ok but then I thought my pillow won't fit in a small bag, since it's bed size and I'm not too sure about leaving it or my bag in the overheads or under my seat, because I don't want anyone taking it, so any suggestions????

Oh and you know how they add cars on the Lake Shore Limited, for Boston/Ny passengers...ok do we stay on the train, as they add to the back and then switch or do we get off and then they tell which passengers go to which car, depending on where they are going?

Ok and how on time.. or not.. are the Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited? Would I need to be running just to get to my 7pm train in Chicago because the Southwest Chief is late or actually miss my Chicago train?? Oh and the Southwest Chief leaves at 6:45pm, if I get there at 5:30pm, is that enough time or should I be there early, just in case the Southwest Chief happens to leave earlier? Does the Lake Shore Limited ever leave earlier?

Thanks all.

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First about the big bathrooms, only for handy cap, but evry coach class Supperlinner has a fitting room-like room with a big mirror.
A small bag, in fact I usualy take my whole back pack, so a small bag is ok with Amtrak easily, if you need a pillow Amtrak will provide one, but its not realy that big, if your only taking one luggage item than you can keep it at your seat with you in the over head luggage racks,see below...
and wheels on your luggage or not as long as it fits in the luggage rack its ok.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 12-15-2003).]

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Midnight - the Southwest Chief is a Superliner train; the Lake Shore Ltd is not. If you check your luggage, no, you will NOT be able to get to it while you are enroute, but if you carry it on, there should be no problem. The Superliner Southwest Chief has large luggage racks on the lower level of your coach, where you will be able to keep your stuff. The Lake Shore has only overhead racks above your seat, which are limited, as the photo Jonathon sent shows. You shouldn't need a wheeled luggage carrier, but of course those are always nice to have.

Bathrooms on the Chief will be small, but the bathrooms in the Amfleet coaches on the LSL are a little bigger. There is no real time that's "better" to wash up than others -- of course, obviously in the morning the bathrooms will be more crowded. As I believe Jonathon said, AMTRAK will supply you with a small pillow if you are traveling in coach, but believe me, it is SMALL!!!

In Albany/Rensselaer on the Lake Shore, you don't have to change cars or get off the train. You will be assigned a coach in Chicago in which you will be riding the entire distance to your destination. Some cars go to New York; others go to Boston, so if you stay in your car, you won't have any problems, but of course you are certainly free to get off the train at ALB and walk around -- just make sure you remember where your car is, and get back into the right car.

As far as on-time performance goes, the Chief now arrives in Chicago at 3:20 PM, so you should have ample time to make your 7 PM connection to the LSL. I don't know how the Chief has been running lately; maybe someone else on this board knows, but I believe the Chief is one of the more on-time trains in the system. The Lake Shore Ltd will NOT leave early -- no AMTRAK trains are allowed to leave any station before the scheduled time. If the Chief were that late for some reason, the AMTRAK crew will do whatever they can to get you to your destination, either by putting you in a hotel for the night in CHI, or bussing you from some station outside of CHI to the Lake Shore Ltd. But, as I said, I don't think you will have a problem making the connection you are scheduled for.

Finally, have a great trip! Let us know how it went you you get back!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where it will fit, depends upon how big your big bag is...some won't fit into the overhead luggage racks, but all will fit in the lower level storage area. You'll walk right by it on the way to the restrooms and you can get into it at any time.

Bring a pillow, the coach pillows supplied are not all that wonderful. If you travel often, a neck pillow would be worthwhile buying. You can pick one up in the the auto section of Target or other similar store.

There are four or five restrooms in the car, some larger than others....short waits might happen any time of day.

You'll stay in your car while switching is done. The SWC/Lake Shore connection at Chicago is fairly reliable. Trains do not depart before the time listed in the schedule.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JDE
Member # 2817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took the Southwest Chief and the Lake Shore Limited in October. Several people boarded with pillows tucked under their arms so you won't be alone. It's a great trip and I had no problem with connections. The only late train was the Lake Shore which was an hour and 20 minutes late getting back to Boston. Amtak staff were always helpful.
Enjoy!

Posts: 12 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, what great response, Midnight Sky. I hope you have a great trip. Since I'll be boarding the Southwest Chief on Saturday, I thought I'd just throw in my two cents.

I have never ridden in a sleeper, it's always coach for me and I have come up with a few good survival tips. I will try to keep this brief.

The best tip is to go buy a bunch of "Wet Ones." This is a splendid product that will help keep you clean and refreshed. "Wet Ones" are small disposable cloths that come in a handy travel packet that is saturated with some sort of mild alcohol solution that will keep microbes from growing on you. By using this product, you will not start to smell like a homeless person after a while.

I would advise you not to check your bags. There is a vestibule on the lower level of the Southwest Chief that will accommodate your large bag. In addition to bringing a wheeled bag, I've gotten into the habit of bringing along my large backpack. It fits handily into the rack above my head for easy access. I also bring along a small bag that carries all my medications, toothbrushes, salves ointments and potions, to bring into the bathroom when I need to "freshen up."

Most bathrooms have coat hooks on which you can hang your "ditty bag" and most bathrooms also have a handy baby changer shelf on which you can put all your stuff. Generally there are plenty of bathrooms to go around (at least on the Southwest Chief) so you really don't have to rush. Bathroom facilities can be somewhat limited on east coast trains however.

Most important thing when you get aboard is to wait until you have given your ticket to the conductor, before you start exploring. It is very unwise to change seats without permission from the conductor.

Bring along a blanket, in addition to an inflatable pillow. I find the zip up fleece bags at Walmart an affordable option. These "bags" are so huge you can cover all your stuff with them when you explore the train, as a security measure. But don't worry, I've never been ripped off. Just keep your stuff fairly well organized and you shouldn't have a problem.

If you have a hard time sleeping, you may want to invest in a sleep masque, to keep the light out of your eyes, earplugs and also sleeping pills. I honestly don't know how some people manage to fall asleep in coach so readily, but I can't without pills. Getting a good night's sleep is so very important.

Have a great trip.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all

Yeah see my suitcase is HUGE and square and also on rollers, so I want to make sure it fits! I have a suitcase on rollers, but I'm not sure if everything can fit into it. Now my pillow is size of a bed pillow, maybe a little larger, so I'm not sure if it will fit in my suitcase either and I just brought it! I just want to make sure that if I put anything in the overheads, it won't be taken!

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your luggage is that big, you can just tie your pilow to it!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget you can stow luggage under your seat as well. Everyone seems to forget that, probably because it is easy to forget things there. A good strategy for a long trip would be to pack a change of clothes or two, plus sleeping and entertainment and personal cleanup gear in a small carryon, and put everything else in a separate bag in checked luggage. Medication, if you have any, must go in the carryon bag.

If I remember correctly, most Superliner bathrooms are very small with the exception of the accessible one. On the Lakeshore you'll be dealing with Amfleet equipment (single level) and you will have one ample-sized bathroom (accessible) and one commode-cube (standard) per car.

Best time? The only criteria are when nobody else is in there. Make sure you lock the bathroom doors when you're using them, otherwise there is a placard outside the door that says "vacant."

You should not have to worry about people stealing things out of your bag. It's a train, where can they go? Plus other passengers around will notice someone going into your bag. The most I do is keep the camera out of sight (my camera is borderline fancy) and then I take off.

Rensselaer: The train pulls in to the (brand new) station and stops. Usually an announcement is made for smokers who wish to take a break outside. You will be allowed outside the train when crews are not working on it, but there are "blackout" periods when they prefer to keep people in their train so Boston passengers do not mistakenly reboard the New York section when the two bits of your former train are parked side by side. With this and any other station stop, just follow the rule of thumb- stay within hearing and sight distance of your nearest train employee. They'll usually hang out right by the door.

Recent statistics on the Lakeshore, leaving Chicago:
December 16: 1 hour and 20 minutes late
December 15: 3 hours and 23 minutes late
December 14: 1 hour and 45 minutes late
December 13: 1 hour and 41 minutes late
December 12: 41 minutes late
December 11: 2 hours and 49 minutes late

Looks to me like you won't have much trouble making your connection. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but don't expect your Late-shore to adhere too closely to the timetable.

Mmmmmmmm, Supperliners. The train that's guaranteed to have a dining car.

Bring your own pillow. The AmPillow distirbution net has been sporadic at best and they are three by six inches- more of a little bit of lumbar support, that's it.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3"x6"? More like 6"x12"! Airline size, roughly about 1/4 of the size of your average pillow at home I believe.

I wouldn't take too much luggage if I were you. In fact, it is too big, they may insist you check it (I've seen it happen). Remember that other people need luggage space too. You will also be the one lugging it around everywhere, up steps, through crowded stations, and along uneven platforms, unless you pay for a porter in which case you only need to drag it to the station itself.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so if I carry my luggage on, I could just put it in the overhead and if I check it in, then I don't see it until I arrive at my next destination...ok ...

BUT, if I check it in, they unload at the destination right or do I have to go to the luggage car itself and get it? I thought maybe they unload it and then I just go to a desk to claim or something. Oh and if I carry it on, do I just bring it to my seat or is there another area for it?

I'm trying to see if I need to buy luggage that fits in the overhead, so I won't have to worry about the check in process or see if my stuff can fit into the smaller luggage on rollers....

How much to check it in and for a porter?

You can so tell I don't travel much!! lol

[This message has been edited by Midnight Sky (edited 12-17-2003).]

Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things did not turn out so well the last time I checked my bag. I was going from Chicago to Albuquerque and they mistakenly took it off in Kansas City. Fortunately I was on my way home, but I still freaked out.

No, they won't let you go to the baggage car, probably because they don't want you to witness the harsh reality of the situation: It's a mess.

With some luck you will pick up your bag at the designated section of the station. This means there will be a delay. Sometimes a very significant delay, though probably not in excess of a half hour.

If you decide to carry on your big bag, tie a yellow ribbon around its handle so that you can tell it from the others. Luggage all seems to look the same these days. Also be sure to place baggage tags on the handle. The more identification, the better.

If you are going to get a redcap to help you, be sure you know what its going to cost you in the end. It may be very much in excess of a buck and it may well be worth it. Last time I was in Toronto, a very charming fellow helped me with my bags and got me on the train. He knew some great back alleys and we totally avoided the line that must have been a half mile long. It only cost me $5 but was well worth it.

Also, be sure you have easy access to your tickets and identification. In other words, have your act together.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Thanks everyone
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your best option might be to carry your large bag onto the Southwest Chief and stow it in the lower level where you have access to it. Then you could check it in Chicago in case it does not fit in the overhead. I have never lost checked luggage on several dozen Amtrak trips.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page