RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Best Train Museums in the Country

Author Topic: Best Train Museums in the Country
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are the best train museums in the country where one can view vintage yet fully restored rail cars that show the 'past and glorious days of rail travel'? Also are there other or maybe smaller exhibits one can visit that display vintage Amtrak cars and locomotives?

[This message has been edited by dmwnc1959 (edited 12-16-2003).]

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that there are any vintage Amtrak cars on display but some interesting stuff can be found at http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/AMTRELICS.html
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try some of these: http://www.borail.org/
http://www.csrmf.org/

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 12-16-2003).]

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Golden Gate Railroad Museum in San Francisco is one of my favorites.

It's not really a "museum" in the traditional sense. It's just a small rail yard that's packed, end-to-end, with old coaches, sleepers, and diners from the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s.

The bulk of the equipment is ex-Southern Pacific. Some cars have been restored. The rest are in varying states of disintegration. You can actually go inside quite a few of them -- including some of the semi-wrecks.

Essentially, the entire place is one big "dead line." So it's fairly rough around the edges (in other words, you won't find any super-slick exhibits or 'Thomas the Tank Engine' souvenirs here). But it's definitely worth a visit.

http://www.ggrm.org

A more traditional -- and excellent -- place to spend an afternoon is the Canadian Railway Museum, just outside of Montreal.

You won't find any American equipment. The steam locomotives, diesels, passenger cars, and freight cars on display once served the Canadian Pacific, Canadian National, and smaller regional railroads.

It's a huge, well-established, and well-funded place -- the best rail museum I've seen.

http://www.exporail.org/musee/musee_crm.htm

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 12-16-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDG484
Member # 2907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDG484   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PA Railroad Museum is closest to where I live (suburban Philadelphia). It's a double attraction with the Strasburg RR right next door. The Museum has 2 former Amtrak pieces of equipment: An E-44 which is restored back to its Pennsy livery, and a Metroliner coach. It also purchased E-60 No. 603, which as of this time is still sitting in Wilmington Shops.
Posts: 49 | From: Drexel Hill, PA 19026 USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the California Railroad Museum, which is next door to the Sacramento AMTRAK station!! I have never been there, but plan on visiting it one of these days.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best railroad museums in the country (IMHO):

1) B&O RR Museum, Baltimore, MD
2) State RR Museum of PA, Strasburg, PA (near Lancaster)
3) California State RR Museum, Sacramento, CA
4) Steamtown NHS, Scranton, PA

I haven't been to the Canadian RR Museum outside Montreal, but hear it's good.

Others worth a visit include:

1) Smithsonian Museum of American History, Washington, DC
2) National RR Museum, Green Bay, WI
3) Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
4) Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunkport, ME
5) St. Louis Museum of Transportation
6)Age of Steam Museum, Dallas
7) Galveston Railroad Museum
8) Orange Empire Trolley Museum, San Bernardino (?), CA
9) New York Transit Museum, Brooklyn, NY

Haven't been to the Golden Gate RR Museum.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing about the St. Louis Museum of Transport,is that on the South portion of the Musuem is the STL-KC line and if you time it right you can see the KC Mule go by.

The musuem it self used to be a lot better.
A person was able to go in about 5-6 of the trains/Locomotives. Now its like 1-2.

There is also a miniature train that goes around the parking lot. Hasnt been going for a couple of years but I read this year it supposed to be back.

Far away from Downtown STL station, and still pretty far from Kirkwood Train STation

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Orange Empire Railway Museum is in Perris,19 miles south of Riverside.They have a large collection of both trolly,and railroad equipment.It is well worth a visit.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at the Pennsylvania State museum a few weeks ago and it deserves being near the top of the list.

Also at or near the top are the California State and Colorado State museums. I visited both on an Amtrak trip earlier in the year.

Finally, as which country is not specified, the London Transit Museum has all of them beat. Fantastic.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to write to that Trains Unlimited travel company and suggest a tour that covers the major museums, now that you mention it.

I was at the Smithsonian just a month ago. Do you mean that tiny exhibit in the basement? Did I miss something? I was disappointed with the scope of what I saw, though not the quality.

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot I was also at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry in September. They have a restored streamlined Zephyr on display. Magnificent. Plus a good selection of old locomotives and, if I recall, a bit of rolling stock.

Their HO display is something like 2500 square feet and superb.

[This message has been edited by Kairho (edited 12-18-2003).]

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have seen the big HO layout at the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry, and agree it is excellent! (best view is from the balcony above the layout)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The California State Museum has an F40.I don't know if it is on display.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by espeefoamer:
The California State Museum has an F40.I don't know if it is on display.

I was just there in mid-November, and unless it was hiding in a corner somewhere, I don't think they have it on display. (They also need to do a little bit of updating of some exhibit labels that talk about Amtrak...for example, I saw at least one map of the Amtrak system that was about 10 years out of date. Despite that minor quibble, I thought it was still a great museum.)

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should click on my link if you want to know about Califoria State RR Musium.

And I have seen the Amtrak F40 there, but since the only photos you can post here have to already be on the net, you'l have to reqest them by e-mail.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've all overlooked the Illinois Railway Museum at Union, IL, northwest of Chicago. Their very fine displays include an operating CB&Q Zephyr and all are very fine. Visited this museum back in 1978 and it was great then and has been vastly improved since. Otherwise agree with all of the previous posts; don't overlook the Tenn. Valley Chapter NRHS and their Tenn. Valley Ry. Museum near Chattanooga, TN - I've never seen that one but it includes operating steam and a collection of passenger cars!
James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter Natl. Ry. Historical Society

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the one on Pacific Coast HWY, in Torrance california?

Is it any good?

-Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what all do they have in the california railway museum in sacramento? is it worth changing my plans to see? I plan on taking the zephyr straight to emeryville.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon2
Member # 4048

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gold Coast RR Museum in southern Dade County (south of Miami) near the County Zoo in Florida is a terrific one. I used to belong to them when they were located in Ft. Lauderdale more than 20 years ago. They have the presidential private car used by Truman and Roosevelt and a terrific collection of cars and locos.
Posts: 35 | From: Palatka, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Colorado Train Museum in Golden (just outside of Denver) is very good. They have a model layout that is incredible. There are picnic tables outside "in the yards" so in good weather you can have a picnic lunch a real plus if you have kids along.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic is from 2003.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passengertrainlover
Member # 3799

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for passengertrainlover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go see the California Railroad Museum in Sacramento. I just went in sept 2005. Very fun place. Lots of old train cars & engines. I got there 45 min before closing so did not get to see the whole thing. Go there if you can!!!
Posts: 12 | From: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the train museum in Chattanooga? Has anyone been there?

I thought the section on the Canadian trains that is part of the History of Canada section in the Museum of Civilization in Hull (walking distance across the bridge from Ottawa) is very well done. It doesn't have a lot of old trains, but there is also a restored train station (from Regina) and the film is very good.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with JeBradley: the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois is great!

http://www.irm.org/

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets not forget the Kentucky RR Museum, National in Green Bay, the Duluth Museum in Dulth,MN and the Southwest Railroad Museum in Campo.

I have stories with those museum visits included.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah........I noticed that this topic is from 2003 also.....still worth answering.....

Different railroad museums have different areas of appeal I think. My favorites for looking at restored historical equipment in a nice interpretive setting are;

1) California State RR Museum - Sacramento
2) B&O RR Museum - Baltimore, MD
3) Pennsylvania RR Museum - Strasburg
4) North Carolina Transportation Museum - Spencer

My favorites for where you can get a train ride pulled by a steam locomotive are -

1) Cumbres & Toltec - Chama, NM
2) Cass Scenic Railroad - Cass, WV
3) Strasburg Railroad - Strasburg, PA
4) Tennessee Valley Railroad - Chattanooga, TN

Honorable Mention - Kentucky Railway Museum in New Haven, KY because their steam locomotive is only in service a few weekends per year.

Of these I've mentioned, the Spencer, NC Museum is interesting because it is located on the grounds of an old Southern Railway locomotive service facility.....the restored roundhouse is a highlight.

The Tennessee Valley museum is great too in that they offer a variety of trip options ranging from a short 6 mile round-trip which features a shop tour and turntable demonstration to my favorite, all-day 100 mile excursions on fall weekends down to Summerville, GA.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon2
Member # 4048

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From 2003 and it's still a great topic this minute or any time! Try the Railroad Museum in the classic preserved Palatka, Florida union station which is owned by the city of Palatka and currently the city's transportation center with Amtrak service, taxis, the local Ride Solution bus service, etc. The David Browning Railroad Museum is open only a few days a month but has a great operating model railroad, old RR artifacts, old historical photos of area Atlantic Coast Line and Seabord Air Line Railroad doings and old Palatka. Worth a visit if you are in northern Florida 50 miles south of Jacksonville on Hwy. 17.
Posts: 35 | From: Palatka, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Montan Jim: be sure to get off in Sacramento if you can to see the CA State RR museum. Well worth a stop, but the museum closes at 5 pm. so be sure to time it right. You'll probably be able to catch a Capitol Corridor train to Emeryville (rather than spending a night and catching the Zephyr the next day). As for what's to see, it's multi media with a historical reenactment (movie) of the guy who found the way for the train to go throught the Sierra Nevada, beautiful dioramas with credit finally going to the Chinese RR workers, sparkling equipment, docents all over the place to add to your enjoyment. The bldg itself used to be where trains were repaired, so there's lost of hitorical stuff upstairs after you've seen all the trains.

For everyone else, at the National RR Museum in Green Bay WI they have a Big Boy (I think that's the name) which is amazing!

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natethegreat
Member # 4174

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for natethegreat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello Il is worth a visit. Take a 10 mile ride on restored Illinois Central coaches behind an old restored Alco or F unit. Plus check out many of the static display cars that have all been wonderfully restored.
Posts: 1 | From: Champaign, Illinois | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polycarp
Member # 6924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polycarp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only been to a couple--
The Calif State RR museum in CA is very nice.
The Orange Empire one in Perris CA is okay. It's mostly trolley cars..or the area we saw was. A lot of cars that were in great need of repair but some that were restored.
It's small and out in the sticks but the Laws RR museum near Bishop CA is worth a quick stop if you are in the area.

For model trains...loved the model RR museum in San Diego. Very nice.

Dan

Posts: 2 | From: Hemet CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Best" for what? As restaurants specialize with food, museums specialize with diplays and attractions. Every couple of years we make what we refer to as the tour of the "three holy places" of railroading in Pennsylvania. We start off in Altoona at the Railroaders museum, then it's off to the Curve to watch some present day activity. Heading east we vist the state museum in Strasburg where the static displays are excellent. We cross the street and take a ride on the Strasburg railroad...often enjoying luch in the diner during our brief trip. Finally it's up to Scranton to Steamtown and a tour of the shops were equipment is repaired and reconstructed. BTW, just driving into the parking lot at Steamtown is worth the ride; especially that Big Boy.
We've been to the trolley museums in Kennebunk and East Haven...the one across the lot from Steamtown too.
So, I guess it's what you're looking for that decides which is the "best".
For us the "best" is the Brit Rail Museum in York, includng the ride from London on Brit Rail's Intercity trains.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David- Good list - but I would add the Nevada Northern to the top of the second list. Truly a living museum complete with operating shop as well as the trains.

quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Yeah........I noticed that this topic is from 2003 also.....still worth answering.....

Different railroad museums have different areas of appeal I think. My favorites for looking at restored historical equipment in a nice interpretive setting are;

1) California State RR Museum - Sacramento
2) B&O RR Museum - Baltimore, MD
3) Pennsylvania RR Museum - Strasburg
4) North Carolina Transportation Museum - Spencer

My favorites for where you can get a train ride pulled by a steam locomotive are -

1) Cumbres & Toltec - Chama, NM
2) Cass Scenic Railroad - Cass, WV
3) Strasburg Railroad - Strasburg, PA
4) Tennessee Valley Railroad - Chattanooga, TN

Honorable Mention - Kentucky Railway Museum in New Haven, KY because their steam locomotive is only in service a few weekends per year.

Of these I've mentioned, the Spencer, NC Museum is interesting because it is located on the grounds of an old Southern Railway locomotive service facility.....the restored roundhouse is a highlight.

The Tennessee Valley museum is great too in that they offer a variety of trip options ranging from a short 6 mile round-trip which features a shop tour and turntable demonstration to my favorite, all-day 100 mile excursions on fall weekends down to Summerville, GA.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Palmland -

How could I have overlooked the Nevada Northern?

Actually, at the time I made that post I had not been to the Nevada Northern yet. I have now and I absolutely loved it......mainly because I lived the dream and did their locomotive rental program. It was my hand on the throttle for 14 miles under the watchful eyes of a real engineer.

Priceless experience.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That must have been a great experience David. We'll have to try it next trip.

While we enjoyed the steam trip, I think the ride behind a venerable Alco road switcher was every bit as good.

Hard to beat a train with a couple coaches and a caboose meandering up the high line at twilight. I loved that great Alco sound vibrating through the open cupola window where I was perched with lightning flashing behind the mountain peaks.

We may sign up for the volunteer program at some point. Not just the railroad but the whole town of Ely is a real time warp.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Golden Gate is good over in San Fransisco

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
That must have been a great experience David. We'll have to try it next trip.

While we enjoyed the steam trip, I think the ride behind a venerable Alco road switcher was every bit as good.

Hard to beat a train with a couple coaches and a caboose meandering up the high line at twilight. I loved that great Alco sound vibrating through the open cupola window where I was perched with lightning flashing behind the mountain peaks.

We may sign up for the volunteer program at some point. Not just the railroad but the whole town of Ely is a real time warp.

Extra points for getting to ride the caboose!

I neglected to mention that it was the 2-8-0 steam locomotive that I was allowed to play with at Ely. Maybe someday I'll go back for a few days and play with one of the diesels too. I got into town the day before and chased both the steam and diesel trains.

The drive into and away from Ely was pretty remarkable too. I had flown into Salt Lake City and rented a car. When leaving I drove eastward across Utah to Grand Junction, CO where I turned in the rental car and caught the California Zephyr eastward. At one point I measured 24 miles driving without a curve and without meeting a single oncoming vehicle.

An absolutely great trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
We drove in from Carson City. The all day drive across the Great Basin was just as you describe. US 50 in that part of the country is called the 'Loneliest Road' for good reason. We crossed quite a few modest mountain ranges that added to the isolated feel of the area, but very beautiful. We took a couple hour alternate route along the way and did not see another car but were stopped for about half an hour while a herd of cattle refused to move off the road. This is definitely open range country and a perfect setting for this railroad.

I understand that a coal fired power is going in on the northern portion of the line that is currently inactive and connects with the UP's CZ route in eastern Nevada. Wouldn't that be great for the operation to be extended.

Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mad River & NKP Railroad Museum, Bellevue, OH.

Of course, I haven't been there since they put the shed up, but it was great then, so why not now? Kind of the unsung hero of train museums.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page