RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Heritage Equipment

Author Topic: Amtrak Heritage Equipment
jkaplan
Member # 1023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkaplan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested to know which routes continue to run Heritage equipment. I know that Heritage Diners are still used on most eastern trains, and Heritage Sleepers are still used on the Three Rivers. However, which trains still use Heritage Coaches? Also, are any of the dome cars still in use?

Thanks,
Jacob

Posts: 3 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We still see heritage equiptment here in Albany. They run coaches on the Ethan Allen Express and the Adirondack. I've also seen extra heritage coaches during the busy times of the year on the Maple Leaf. An easter weekend sold-out Maple Leaf ran a heritage coach. No domes, I'm afraid- I'd love to have those here. Also, no sleepers as well!

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the "Heritage" fleet! That term was coined by Chris Knapton, a former radio announcer in Iowa with whom I worked at the Rock Island in 1976 (he was VP Public Affairs, I was a summer intern). Chris later worked for Amtrak, then Metra, and died recently.

Chris coined the work when Amtrak was purchasing "Amfleet" and "Superliner" cars, but there were still lots of old cars inherited from the private railroads. He decided they deserved a name too.

The domes were rebuilt with HEP (after having been removed from service with the end of steam-heated trains) during Graham Claytor's tenure, and ran on the Lake Shore (Albany-Chicago), Capitol Ltd. (pre-Superliner), Panama (pre-Superliner). They were removed from service altogether around 1995 (IIRC).

Heritage diners continue in service on the "low level" Eastern trains (Lake Shore, Crescent, Florida Service), but are increasingly prone to failure. Plans were to build Horizon diners (a prototype was constructed, and I have eaten in it on the Capitol), but the money ran out.

Heritage sleepers continue on the Three Rivers (until October, when they must be removed from service due to a lack of waste-retention tanks) and are used as crew dorms on other low-level overnight trains. Heritage baggage cars are everywhere, even on trains of Superliners. Heritage coaches were limited to "Clocker" service and a dwindling number of long-distance trains until recently; they are now regularly assigned only to the Adirondack and Ethan Allen.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode Heritage equipment (before it was called that) on the Coast Starlight in the '70s. They were very comfortable and compared to today's Superliners, the rest rooms were HUGE. We even had a few dome cars in '77 and '78. We also had "snack cars" in the middle of the coaches, where one could get light meals (nothing microwaved) at a counter.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkaplan
Member # 1023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkaplan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the Three Rivers will not have a sleeping car anymore after October, or will it be replaced with a Viewliner? The waste retention system law is so stupid... I don't think its unsanitary at all to just dump on the tracks... trains have been doing it for years, with no problems.
Posts: 3 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Plans were to build Horizon diners (a prototype was constructed, and I have eaten in it on the Capitol), but the money ran out."

Mr. Resor, I believe the prototype dining car built for the Eastern trains but never duplicated was based on the Viewliner frame. I, too ate in it on the Capitol Limited. It had a nice atmosphere it it.

"I rode Heritage equipment (before it was called that) on the Coast Starlight in the '70s. They were very comfortable and compared to today's Superliners, the rest rooms were HUGE."

Mr. Toy, it is my opinion that the amenities on the Superliner cars were designed by those who had never experienced train travel. The bathrooms on the Superliner are more cramped than those in a jet plane. Moroever, there is no circulation. So when one is releaving himself, not only does he have to suffer from smelling his own stench, but so do those near who are unfortunately near the bathroom he is occupying.

"So the Three Rivers will not have a sleeping car anymore after October, or will it be replaced with a Viewliner?"

The Three Rivers is to get Viewliners now used on the Twilight Shoreliner. I think October 3 is the date.

"The waste retention system law is so stupid... I don't think its unsanitary at all to just dump on the tracks... trains have been doing it for years, with no problems."

On balance,Mr. Kaplan you are correct. It is not environmentally unfriendly to dispose of a small amount human waste on railroad road bed. What happened, however, is that someone flushed a toilet while the train was traveleing over a bridge, and some poeple with important political connections were fishing under that bridge at that time.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by MLC:
The Three Rivers is to get Viewliners now used on the Twilight Shoreliner. I think October 3 is the date.

October 3 is correct. I found dates of October 1 and October 2 for the last Hertitage sleeper runs for trains 41 and 40, respectively. I'm scrambling to try and find someway to make a last-minute trip on these cars before they are gone forever...

However, what does this mean for Heritage sleepers used as crew dorms, or the handful of Heritage coaches still running? They have the same type restrooms (don't they?). All these cars can't be removed (coaches maybe, but there is no alternative for crew dorms) by October.

[This message has been edited by DC2001 (edited 09-01-2001).]

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MLC wrote:
"Mr. Toy, it is my opinion that the amenities on the Superliner cars were designed by those who had never experienced train travel. "

I'll agree, and add the toilets were designed by those who do not use toilet paper. Why else would they have placed it in a cubby hole three inches from your hip?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MLC:
[B The Three Rivers is to get Viewliners now used on the Twilight Shoreliner. I think October 3 is the date.[/B]

And what will happen to the Shoreliner ?

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page