RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cardinal??

Author Topic: Cardinal??
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,
Gee, I was clueless that Amtrak began to run the Cardinal from NYC to Chi 3 times per week. I was gong to take Three Rivers. What can you tell me about the Cardinal? How does it compare to Three Rivers? Thanks for any info.
Scott

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassrr
Member # 1834

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty typical East coast single level train...dorm/lounge which currently serves as baggage car, single sleeper, full diner, snack-lounge, three coaches. Travels thru WV's New River Gorge (best viewed in winter on eastbound)and along the Ohio River to Cincinnati. Lately been pretty full, too. Usually 1-2 hours late both directions. Crew changes that occurred in October when the run was extended to NYP definitely saw an improved service crew. Crews like the Cardinal; it's a cash cow with all the overtime!
Posts: 21 | From: Huntington, WV USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite east coast - Chicago train! Well worth experiencing, but from what I hear, the Three Rivers is equally good.

When I rode it (when it still had Superliners), you could look out the back as there seems to be rarely anything attached (like boxcars etc).

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDG484
Member # 2907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDG484   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would pick the Cardinal because it runs through the New River Gorge, although I don't know if it is in daylight or darkness.
Posts: 49 | From: Drexel Hill, PA 19026 USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefffromark
Member # 827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jefffromark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the fact that the Cardinal has been extended back into NYC. Makes it a good 26 hour ride compared to 20 hours on the Three Rivers or Lake Shore. Plus the passengers and crew are a bit more laid back. Also if your a sleeping car passenger you can look forward to an additional meal. Im not sure about todays Cardinal but back in the early 90's they served breakfast out of NYC, lunch was available upon arriving Washington, dinner around Clifton Forge and breafast again before we got to Indianapolis. I remember being told you needed to be in the dining car upon arriving Indy because all the new people boarding Indy would just cram into the diner - they were right it was unreal.

So if I was in your shoes I would make one trip on the Three Rivers and one on the Cardinal. Yes eastbound is better if your into river scenery but I never liked the late evening arrival times into the northeast.

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page