RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A long little trip..

Author Topic: A long little trip..
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://tickets.amtrak.com/Amtrak/sid=24F6811F60B70E3D21659E33 499A8F40/pricing?storefront=1003&pageID=availability

L K AT THE LINK ABOVE^^

--I want to go to Colfax California to go gold panning etc. So I foud the AMTRAK Station...BUt I have soem questions since I am not aware of the Northern CA terrttory or the San Joaquins Train.

1) Is Colfax safe?...I'd be getting there around 10pm

2) Is there any kind of TAXI service?

3) Can I bring a bike on a THRUWAY bus or the San JOaquin?

4) OFF TOPIC......IS there any GoLd in COlfax?

5) Is there any possible way I could get there a but quicker?...Four transfers is just awful..AND NOT BUSES, I want a train not a Moto coach!

I would appreciate any help, on this weird trip..

-Anton
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburymn

[This message has been edited by CoastStarlight99 (edited 12-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by CoastStarlight99 (edited 12-23-2003).]

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IM: jonathonjb3
This is my IM.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can only answer the first two:
Colfax is a quaint little foothill town...I expect everyone, even the bad guys, will be in bed by 10:00.
I doubt that there are any cabs...and where on earth would you go in one?

Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add to ladylawyer's reply, the current Amtrak System Timetable says all San Joaquin trains are equipped with a limited number of bike racks. It also says unboxed bikes may be put in the bin under Thruway motorcoaches. But hauling a bike between four transfers seems like a hassle. And if there is no bike space available on one of these connections, it could ruin your trip. I'd ditch the bike idea on this particular travel plan.

There is gold in the Colfax area. But knowing where to go (without trespassing) would be a problem. And since you're 13 (right?), I assume your ability to rent a car and get to streams out of town would be somewhat limited.

To get your rail-fix and get a taste of Northern California, have you considered Sacramento? Within an easy walk of the Amtrak station is the State Railroad Museum and Old Sacramento. It's also walkable to the State Capitol, Raley Field (if you're a baseball fan), and the downtown area. You could take side rail trips on the Capitol or Zephyr. Hotels near the Amtrak station can be found at: www.railhotels.com

Your trip idea does bring back memories of a similar trip I took when I was about your age. A buddy and I rode our bikes from Sacramento to the foothills (ladylawyer may have heard of Michigan Bar above Sloughouse on Highway 16) to pan for gold. But we had the advantage of knowing the area, and we had permission to camp on private land. My friend and I have kept in touch over the years, and we still talk about that bike trip.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gather you're taking a Thruway bus to Colfax. Is there any way you can schedule our trip to connect with the CZ? That train actually stops there midday without needing a bus.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 12-23-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TO ZEPHYR: I have parents, that can drive, oart of my holiday gifts is a medium lenght Amtrak trip + an Xbox.

TO MR. TOY: THat might work but I think the Zephyr leaves earlier than I can get up there from Los Angeles.

TO Ladylawyer: Is any kind of motel in walking range of the Train station?

-Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page