RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Active Routes/Bypassed Former Stations

Author Topic: Active Routes/Bypassed Former Stations
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent some time comparing old timetables with the current timetable and I was surprised to find many former Amtrak stations on routes which are still active.

Maybe some of you will find this information interesting too. All of these stations were served by Amtrak trains directly at one time or another. I realize some are still served by commuter carriers now. But they are all by-passed by Amtrak for reasons unknown in the present. Here is the list:

Thompsonville, CT (Enfield)
Rye, NY
Eutaw, GA
Livingston, GA
Monroe, VA
Purvis, MS
Poplarville, MS
Gerber, CA
Indio, CA
Troy, MT
Newport, AR
Thompson, UT
Carlin, NV
Colfax, CA
Del Mar, CA
Silver Spring, MD
Chelsea, MI
Ypsilanti, MI
Gaithersburg. MD
Brunswick, MD
East Greenwich, RI
Wickford Jct., RI
Shannock, RI
East Lyme, CT
Madison, CT
Branford, CT
Chester, PA
Elkton, MD
Perryville, MD
Edgewood, MD
Edmundson Ave, MD (Baltimore)
Odenton, MD
Bowie, MD
Whitford, PA
Malvern, PA
Rosemont, PA
Merion, PA
52nd Street, PA (Philadelphia)
Overbrook, PA
Narberth, PA
Bryn Mawr, PA
Radnor, PA
Wayne, PA
Berwyn, PA
Rifle, CO
Bond, CO
Seligman, AZ
Akron, CO
Rosenberg, TX
Carrollton, MO
New Westminster, BC
Emporia, KS
Elizabeth, NJ
Rahway, NJ
Wilkinsburg, PA
Monmouth, IL
Newtonville, MA
Wellesley, MA
Westboro, MA
Bristol, PA
Levittown-Tullytown, PA
Montreal West, PQ
Westmount, PQ

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 12-31-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realy liked going to Del Mar, to bad they closed that one.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you got a couple too many there - the California Zephyr serves:
Colfax, CA
Green River, UT
Both fairly busy stops!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering why Phoenix, AZ was missed?
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave - The Del Mar, CA station has been replaced by the Solana Beach station. Most of the ones you listed just didn't produce the ridership they were originally anticipated to.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike - I think he means stations where the train actually passes through without stopping anymore. Phoenix is bypassed on a more southerly route nowadays.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which train stopped in Carrollton, Missouri?
Monmouth, Illinois?

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, like Geoff explained, this is just a list of by-passed stations on existing routes.

You guys are right about Green River, UT. I actually meant to write Thompson, UT which is by-passed by 5 and 6 nowadays.

I saw Colfax, CA as being a Thruway bus stop on the map on page 103 in the current timetable. It is however listed on the CZ timecard, like you pointed out. So I stand corrected in regard to Colfax too. Thanks!

I did not include Phoenix, AZ or Tempe, AZ because the Sunset does not use that route anymore, as someone said. However there remains the matter of Coolidge, AZ. I wasn't sure if the junction where trains head for Maricopa is before or after Coolidge.

In the summer 1974 timetable Monmouth, IL is listed as a Zephyr stop between Galesburg, IL and Burlington, IA.

Carrollton, MO is listed as a stop in the October 31 1976 national timetable. Amtrak trains 15 & 16 stoped at Carrollton. This train was called The Lone Star. At the time, the SW Chief ran nonstop between Fort Madison and Kansas City.

Here's another station on an active route that is bypassed these days: Cairo, IL.

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 12-31-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>Whitford, PA
>Malvern, PA
>Rosemont, PA
>Merion, PA
>52nd Street, PA (Philadelphia)
>Overbrook, PA
>Narberth, PA
>Bryn Mawr, PA
>Radnor, PA
>Wayne, PA
>Berwyn, PA

These are all commuter stops on the Main Line west of Philadelphia and service has been taken over by SEPTA.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Coolidge is on the branch to Phoenix, so Amtrak does not pass through there anymore. I think you missed Lovelock, between Winnemucca and Sparks, NV. It's in the Spring 1995 timetable I have but not in later timetables.

Geoff M.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my 1991 timetable, the Southwest Chief also used to stop at:
Marceline, MO 104 miles east of KC
Emporia, KS 62 mi south of Topeka
Both are on the current route.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Does the line between Tucson and Phoenix end in Phoenix now? What about the leg between Phoenix and Yuma? Are they in disrepair?

What about Gary, IN? Don't most eastbound trains pass through a piece of Gary? What about Valparaiso?

I took a look for myself and saw that Lovelock, NV does not appear in the April 1990 timetable, nor does it appear in the May 1974 timetable. I guess the stop was a short-lived mid-90s experiment. Good find! When did the Zephyr begin bypassing Ogden? Maybe the change explains why Lovelock got dropped.

You're right. I missed Marcelline, MO too.

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 01-03-2004).]

dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
I wonder if any of these communities voiced much objection when the trains stopped stopping.

I was also interested to discover many additional stations on existing routes, especially on the lines out of Los Angeles.

The reason for the establishment of some new stops eludes me, however, such as Cornwell Heights, PA. In years prior, there were stops quite close to Cornwells Heights, like Levittown-Tullytown, PA and Bristol, PA. Why not re-open those stations rather than make an entirely new station?

Does anyone know if Amtrak has any plans to serve the new Secaucus Transfer in New Jersey?

This little project also made me see certain route re-alignments that would help boardings, such as New Orleans-Baton Rouge-Lafayette, if it could be done. Then there's Chicago-Detroit-Sarnia-Toronto. And then there's Fargo-Bismarck-Butte-Spokane - not that the Empire Builder is having trouble filling its seats.

How about Vancouver-Seattle-Portland-Salt Lake-Denver-Kansas City-Memphis-Atlanta-Jacksonville-Orlando-Miami? That sure would be a great ride.

Another great route might be (Churchill)-Winnipeg-Minneapolis-Omaha-Kansas City-Little Rock-Baton Rouge-New Orleans.

But that would be pushing it, I suppose. :-)

Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Station Facilities, or "for the most part", station facilities exist in Dunkirk, NY as well as Batavia, NY on the Lake Shore Limited. Both Stations operate with an underground walkway that connects to a staircase leading you to a platform between the two tracks. Not sure if Batavia will ever re-open, but I know there was a push a few years ago to get Dunkirk's stop added to the Lake Shore Limited, but from what I understand, an elevator is needed at the station to make it ADA compliant and of course, there's no money to put one in, what else is new!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Dave - The Del Mar, CA station has been replaced by the Solana Beach station.

This happened when the "Coaster" commuter service started running between San Diego and Oceanside. The Del Mar station could not or would not allow a larger parking lot for commuters, so the station was "moved" to Solana Beach as mentioned above.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poinciana, FL. Opened Sept. 16, 1974: Amtrak opens station at Poinciana to serve Walt Disney World and to serve as a terminal for proposed Midwest-Florida Auto-Track (sic) service." (From "Amtrak: The First Decade" compiled and edited by Bruce Goldberg.) Service ended there a year later (9/14/76) and service was added to Kissimmee on 12/12/75 instead.
Curiously, SCL served Kissimmee right up to Amtrak day; Poinciana was never served by SCL.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A note about the last two stations listed (Montreal West, PQ and Westmount, PQ)... These stations were on the former route of the Adirondak which was changed many many many years ago.
Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling the title of this thread should be "bypassed towns," rather than bypassed former stations.

There are, after all, a number of cities where Amtrak abandoned the grand stations it once served, and now stops only at a much smaller station nearby. For example:

1) Cleveland Union Terminal -- which served Amtrak trains for a short while during the early 1970s.

The subterranean station was turned into an indoor mall a decade or so ago. But the massive 1920s Terminal Tower complex it was once part of still stands.

Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited now stop at a much dinkier modern facility near Lake Erie, which is nonetheless within sight (and walking distance) of the old terminal building.

2) Buffalo Central Terminal -- which served Amtrak until the late 1970s.

The massive late 1920s station is now a ruin. But the Lake Shore Limited and various Empire Service trains still pass right by it, stopping at either the Depew station or the Exchange Street Station closer to the center of town.

I'm sure there are others -- although I can't think of them right now.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-03-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Good point, dilly. Incidentally, last night while surfing I came across a slide show of the old Michigan Central Station in Detroit. I saw some fascinating pictures taken in 1998 which showed the crumbling interior and main concourse and the train shed. There also were views from the 18th story roof. The author said anybody can get in there, but advised that it's dangerous. The scenes were reminiscent of a some kind of post war scene. Kinda sad, really. The facility was very elaborate. Hard to believe it has gone to seed.

Dave

dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Looking through timetables from the 70s 'till now I see that Amtrak has altered its suburban Montreal stops several times. St-Lambert has been the stop for a while now. At other times The Adirondack alone stopped at Montreal West and Westmont. In October 1976, Montreal West was the only stop in suburban Montreal. At other times, neither The Adirondack nor The Montrealer made any stops between Montreal and the US/Canadian border. How many ways are/were there from the border into Montreal? Does anyone know if the former Montrealer CV route from St. Albans north to the border is still serviceable? What about the line from St. Johnsbury north into Canada?

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 01-05-2004).]

dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Poinciana, FL confirmed. Another forgotten station for the list. I wonder if the building/facility still stands. If SCL never served Poinciana, maybe all that was there was an Amshack, as they say.

Nevertheless, good looking out!

Dave

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one for Uncle Buck -- how can we forget the old elaborate St. Louis Union Terminal? That was indeed a grand structure also; I think I may have been there once in the early 80's before the station was changed to the tiny tiny "temporary" facility on S. 16th Street -- that small station has been "temporary" now for about 20 years......

I believe the old Union terminal is a shopping mall now -- do you know, Uncle Buck?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In St. Paul the most beautiful building downtown is the Union Depot. The lobby is now restaurant and office space. Most tragic moment: they recently removed the schedule of arriving and departing trains (and the cities they served) that was in place the day before Amtrak took over, ...and replaced it with a coffee shop menu.

You can now wave as you wind around it on the Empire Builder on your way to the Amshack in the middle of nowhere halfway to Minneapolis.

Minnepolis had two stations. The Great Northern was razed for condos shortly after Amtrak took over. The Milwaukee was abandoned for years until they turned it into (appropriately for Minnesota) an outdoor ice rink, under the old iron trainshed.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:

There are, after all, a number of cities where Amtrak abandoned the grand stations it once served, and now stops only at a much smaller station nearby.

This is also true of Salt Lake City. The UP station still has an adjacent track [the Olympic Torch train was there in early '02] but the Rio Grande station is now a bar/restaurant with no tracks.

Amtrak uses a rather dinky building a few blocks south of the "big stations".

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Emporia Kansas was bypassed after the Fast Mail (3/4, the SW Chief) was re-routed by way of Topeka and Lawrence.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PullmanCo - Emporia was NOT "bypassed" when the route of the Southwest Chief changed from KCY-LRC-TOP; the train still passes through Emporia, but it no longer stops there.
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich,

You're right.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
What's the deal with Gerber, CA? In my old SP timetable it was a regular stop. Was it a crew change place or something?

Also, Rosenberg, TX seems ideally located for service. What's the deal there?

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 01-06-2004).]

Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cornwells Heights was added because SEPTA built a huge parking lot there, so even though it is not the biggest or most important town between Philadelphia and Trenton, it is the biggest park-and-ride facility.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page