RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » lowest fare

Author Topic: lowest fare
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have suggestion for agent that might help me with finding lowest Amtrak fares? I have booked my own tickets for over ten years but today was quoted a fare $300.00 more than the internet fare. I know the internet is cheaper but I want lower level sleepers and they do cost more but never $300.00 more.
Thanks for any suggestions

Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any agents sell tickets cheaper than Amtrak itself? Try phoning them direct and you can ask for a lower level sleeper. 1-800-AMTRAK.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I booked thru Amtrak and just thought someone might know if there was way to get lower level sleepers at a lower price.
I may go to station and see if agent there can help.
Thanks for your reply.

Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geofm,

What is 1800AMTRAK?

I call 1800USARAIL..

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
I call 877-444-4773. That is the number I got when I joined Guest Rewards. Before that I called 800 USA Rail number.
Not sure what 800 AMTRAK is.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doh. I'm not in the US so I was extracting it from faulty memory cells. They've probably died now anyway.
Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been charged extra for a lower level room. In fact, I booked one just three days ago (for a late February - early March trip) and the charge was the same as for an upper level room. I booked through a live person at 1-800-USA-RAIL to request the lower level room. But before I did that I looked up the fare on the website (which doesn't distinguish between upper and lower), and it was exactly the same price as what the agent gave me.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
I have been told the lower level sleepers are a higher fare but this time was real shocker.
I am going to call and see what I can find out.

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the agent was confused and thought you wanted either a Deluxe or Family bedroom. That's the only way I can account for the discrepancy. There's no way that is correct for a lower level Standard room.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible that Amtrak has already assigned all lower level Standard Rooms to other passengers.

Since you seem to want to travel on the lower level only, the agent may have quoted you the rates for the more expensive Family and Accessible rooms -- which might be the only "downstairs" accommodations available for the day you want to travel.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
I called back today and the new agent told me that the price today is higher than the one I have on hold. I do have a standard sleeper.
The agent today told me that the sleepers were priced on availiability. She said the closer to date, the cheaper the fare if the rooms were still not taken.
Since I want a sleeper, I can't wait until close to the day.
The new agent did extend my hold on the tickets. I might go down to the station and see if one of the agents there can help me find away for lower ticket.
I should ask if the day of travel makes any difference in the price.
Thanks for all your responses.

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for future reference:

When you research a fare on Amtrak's web site, make sure you use the actual dates you plan to travel.

The sleeper fare for, say, February 23 will not necessarily be the same for February 24.

Even when you plug your actual travel date into the web site, remember that the price that comes up is the price at that particular moment. If you wait a week, a day, or even an hour before actually booking your ticket, the fare may turn out to be substantially higher or (occasionally) lower.

As the agent told you, it all depends on how many empty rooms are still available at the precise instant you book your trip.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-03-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Yes, the day of travel can make a difference. I've found that traveling on a Tuesday can be significantly cheaper than traveling on a Monday. Amtrak personnel have told me that Tuesdays and Wednesdays are their slowest days of the week, and you will probably get lower fares on those days.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chaslet is right! I just tried to book lower level rooms and was told I have to pay $600 more!!! I have been pricing on the internet everyday for months and called last night to make my reservations. There are four of us, my husband and two grown sons. I requested two standard rooms across from each other. After all was completed I was given rooms 13&14. This was on the CZ from CHI to EMY, on CS from EMY to SEA, and on EB from SEA to CHI. Then I was given the cost of $600 more!! When I questioned it I was told that lower level rooms were more, I argued the point and then asked to speak to someone in charge, the next person told me the same. The whole thing escalatated into a screaming match (mostly me!) so after a no win situation I settled for upper level rooms. Then I was told there were no upper level across from each other!
Wouldn't you think they would try harder to please someone who is reserving seven nights for four people when there are rooms empty on the LL across from each other??
We are still happy that we will be taking this trip and I will not let this situation ruin any of it. The first and last leg of the trip we are going coach on the LSL, I didn't have any problems booking that.
Next time I think I will ask Mr.Toy to make my reservations, he seems to have good luck getting the rooms he asks for. (ha)

Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supply and demand Ladies and Gentlemen. If the train is full why give the lowest discount rate possible. Amtrak knows they will sell the rooms. Why do you think they always go up during the Holidays. Supply and demand. Think about it. By the way their is a family room down stairs which sleeps 3 adults and 2 childern. There is also a Handicap sleeper on the lower level which has it's own lavatory and toilet. These may have been the rooms priced so high due to it being the only thing available.
Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Sheriff, but I am very insulted by your post! I know what supply and demand is, I know what the family and handicap rooms are. If you read my post correctly you would see that Standard rooms #13&14, cost $600 more than standard rooms #3&5. That was the topic that chaslett started. They are charging more for the lower level than the upper. Now maybe you should think about it.

[This message has been edited by Sammy (edited 01-18-2004).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page