RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The old car at Fullerton Station

Author Topic: The old car at Fullerton Station
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met the owner of that old car in Fullerton
--------------------------------------------

Its realy late so I'll post the rest in the morning...

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old chiar car that sits in fullerton, I met the owner, he told me to E-mail him at his site, but I cant find it, he said that the site was somethimg like "overlandvalleytrailcom"-or-"overlandtrial.com" or something like that, If any one know the name of the site then please post a link.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind... Found it!
http://www.overlandtrail.com/index.html

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 01-04-2004).]

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Amtrak's parking fees at LAUPT finally got too expensive.

John

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure seems like there's more to do rail-wise in the West than here in New York. However, this excursion car appears to be done up in New York Central colors. Is it so?

David

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 01-05-2004).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Overland Trail is painted in the SP Overland scheme.This car is still at LA.The car in Fullerton is the Amber Trail,painted in Daylight colors.This is an ex UP coach.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you're right. Thanks. But I must say the drawing at the foot of the website linked above shows a car that's painted in a way which does remind me of NYC's gray livery. Just curious. Is there a website which specifically depicts various railroad paint schemes?

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He told me Amtrak once owned it then some privite owners the him

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do not have it, Arthur Dubin's "Some Classic Trains" and "Pullman Paint and Lettering Schemes" are both superb tech/history books for your library.

Two tone gray with silver striping started as a NYC pattern, but Pullman adopted it almost immediately. SP used it for the Lark until they refurbished their fleet around 1960, stripping out the Cor-Ten members and inserting stainless. At that time they also sheathed their cars with flat stainless.

Remember, equipment on the Coast and Cascade routes received daily exposure to salt and humidity!

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
I have always wanted to have a look at the legendary Dubin passenger train book duo, "Some Classic Trains" and "More Classic Trains." Out of print and pricey nowadays, IIRC.

The only similar book I've ever seen is Thye Trains We Rode by Beebe & Clegg. Great, but black & white pictures only.

Dave

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both "Some Classic Trains" and "More Classic Trains" by Dubin -- yes they are very good references and have hundreds of great photos. I had heard a long time ago that Dubin was going to come out with a third volume called "Still More Classic Trains." Does anyone know if that was ever published?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any of you have the book "Passenger Train Consists from the 1970's", Great book, I got my copy from Laws Railway Museum, Heres the web site version(The book has alot more stuff then the site)...
http://home.att.net/~jtbradley/amtrak.html

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Overland Trail is painted in SP Lark on one side and in SP Daylight paint on the other, Just take the Pasadena Gold Line and you get to see both sides of the car from above.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we seem to have shifted onto the subject of railroad literature. . .

Next time you pass a bookstore, look for an excellent little tome on pre-Amtrak passenger trains called "Streamliners: History of a Railroad Icon" (authors - Mike Scafer & Joe Welsh).

It has detailed histories of dozens of trains (including the original California Zephyr and Empire Builder), with great interior and exterior color photos.

Plus Barnes & Noble bookstores (just to mention one national chain) are currently selling it for $12.99.

It's definitely worth taking home.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page