TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hotel in SAN & LAX

Author Topic: Hotel in SAN & LAX
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have suggestions of reasonable places to stay in downtown SAN and downtown LAX, i.e. near Amtrak stations. I'm trying to get down there next month to ride the Surfliner and CZ (and go to the operas) and lodging is going to be my biggest expense.
Thanks, Gianandrea

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Gianandrea,
ww.railhotels.com ...Is usually helpful!
Its always hard to find hotels near the train station/airport, and where you need to go--But here are some near the train stations you specified...

LAX--http://reserve.findhotelsnear.com/nexres/search/power_results.cgi?avail=Y&bed_type=NP&src=10007744&poi_name=Hotels+Near+Los+Angeles+Union+Station&address_lat_lng=34.05579%2C-1 18.23679&doa_mm=1&doa_dd=30&dod_mm=2&dod_dd=9&num_adults=2&num_beds=1&num_rooms=1&smoking_pref=NP&Go.x=18&Go.y=13

SAN-
no clue

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In San Francisco:

Try the Olympic Hotel. Early 1900s building, comfortably redone. Cheaper than most others in the area. The Amtrak bus stop on Market Street is two blocks away. Plus the Amtrak ticket office & main bus stop by the Ferry Terminal (a nicer place to depart from) is only a short ride away on the vintage PCC trolleys of the "F" line.
www.olympichotelsf.com

In Los Angeles:

Downtown hotels tend to be either pricey or divey. But L.A.'s Red Line subway runs east from Los Angeles Union Station and clear across town to Hollywood before turning north. Find a hotel near a station at the western end of the route and your transportation problems are solved. The trip takes about 20 minutes once you board.

For both cities, I've also gotten great deals on www.priceline.com and www.hotwire.com.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In SFO:
We always stay at the Grant Plaza Hotel, wonderfully located at the entrance to Chinatown. The cable car stops a short half block away. It's about $75 a night.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gianandrea - I believe by "SAN" you mean San Diego, not San Francisco, as others have interpreted. There are several nice downtown hotels in San Diego which are relatively close to the AMTRAK station. I was in San Diego in 2002, and stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown, which is 2 blocks from the AMTRAK station. There is also a Holiday Inn nearby.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the original poster mentioned traveling on the California Zephyr (CZ), I think we've all assumed that he/she means San Francisco. We could be wrong.

Personal sidebar:

I try to avoid abbreviations in my own posts -- "Los Angeles" instead of "LAX"; "Lake Shore Limited" instead of "LSL".

It makes things much clearer for newcomers to Amtrak and this forum. It also eliminates the chance that you'll type "CZ" (for California Zephyr) when you really mean "CS" (for Coast Starlight) and confuse the rest of us.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, folks, that's exactly what happened. Sorry about the confusion, but thanks for the replys.
I want to take the Surfliner from San Diego, having stayed there overnight, up to Los Angeles, stay a day or so and then the south end of the Starlight up to San Francisco. I will take the Starlight up to Seattle and back in May.
I think this is a great site and I enjoy reading the posts. However, starting today, the page with the individual posts is larger than my monitor screen; the page with the threads for AMTRAK is still OK. Can I fix this back somehow?
Gianandrea

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yez Boz
Member # 2938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yez Boz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The extreemeeely loooooong url posted is the reason it dosen't fit your screen

[This message has been edited by Yez Boz (edited 01-05-2004).]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought SAN was San Antonio Texas?

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page