RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » who is the most dedicated Amtrak rider?

Author Topic: who is the most dedicated Amtrak rider?
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see if any of you guys can top this:

I live in Montana and am travelling to DC next week. i want to take the train. problem is, i live in the southern part of the state where there is no train service (amtrak's north coast hiawatha that used to come through here was discontinued in 1979).

so you know what i am doing? i am taking a bus north to catcb the empire builder. not only that, but i am going to spokane first so that i can ride the builder through glacier national park, the most scenic part of the trip.

it will take a 10 hour bus ride, then a 6 hour wait in spokane for me to catch this train. do you guys think i am nuts or what? give me your honest opinion!

(if amtrak would bring back the hiawatha, i wouldnt have to go through this mess)

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to travel approx 3200 miles to reach my nearest Amtrak station... Portland, ME from the UK! 1.5 hours to get to airport, 2 hour check-in, 1 hour security delay while US immigration decides whether a 5 year old kid with an Arabic name is dangerous or not (don't laugh, it happened last week), and a 7.5 hour flight.

Total 24030 miles on 29 trains.

Me mad? Probably.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanghai, I hope for you that the Builder is late so you get more daylight thru Glacier. From what I could make out in the dark, west of Glacier looked really pretty.

I met a guy on that train from D.C., doing the same as you in the opposite direction: to Spokane and bus to Missoula. Since I was de-training in Whitefish with a rental car, he got off with me. We hung out in a Whitefish bar, then drove down in the morning. Then we all hung out in his friend's cabin on top of a mountain and had some beers.

Then I went on to my destination, the Route of the Hiawatha bike trail off I-90 near the Idaho border. I highly reccommend this trail to train fans. It is lined with pictorial displays of life on the Olympian Hiawatha when it was one of the world's most elegant passenger trains.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoffm is in the lead
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think the entity with the highest mileage would be ChrisG. he claims to have something on the order of 780000 miles aboard Amtrak trains.
I concede that Geoffm is the entity who is farthest away from a station, though. 24000 miles when one is over 3000 miles from the nearest station is remarkable.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing spectacular, but I do it every winter! So the consistency has to count for something, right?

I take the train (Southwest Chief) from Fullerton to either Gallup or Albuquerque and then it's a three to four hour drive (retal car) to Durango, Colorado and another half hour to an hour drive to Vallecito where my family's cabin is. After about a week or so, it's back to either ABQ or Gallup to meet the Chief.

So nowhere near the mileage of some to get to the station, but I do it every year.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Montana is a bit suburban---and its hard to catch a train. Nuts? no. Is there even an airport where you live?
But it is deffinetly and adventure, is it a thruway amtrak bus, or something else?

A.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CS99, the larger cities in Montana do have airports (Billings, Missoula, Great Falls) but the flights are probably more expensive than a cross-country flight. The bus to Spokane is not a thruway, probably Greyhound. And suburban refers to the suburbs that surround a city, I think the word you were looking for was rural. I'm not sure Montana has a suburb.

The interesting thing about 750 mile long northern Montana is there are not even east-west buses. The only way people can travel is Amtrak. They even claim if the Empire Builder were to be discontinued, it would significantly hurt Montana's economy.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to live in Minnesota, and visited Montana and it was anything but a city. But I guess suburban isn' the right word.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i guess UK man wins as far as distance from the nearest amtrak station, but do you travel on amtrak to get somewhere or just for a vacation?

i like travelling on amtrak but i also am trying to get somewhere. from my hometown of livingston to go to DC i should head east. Instead, i will take the bus (greyhound) west to spokane first, which costs me a whole day because if i simply took the bus east to dc, i would arrive in DC on wednesday, but i now i will arrive there on thursday. but its worth it!

no suburbs in montana, but there is an airport in bozeman, but i hate flying. i have a lot of luggage too.

yes, the builder means a lot to montana. last time i road it, they had petitions for people to sign in the havre station to keep the builder from being discontinued.

according to the earlier timetables from the 70's, the builder use to leave spokane around 4 am (which would allow more daylight to see the nice area west of glacier as the one dude pointed out).

anybody have any ideas on what i can to to kill the 8 hours i have to spend in spokane waiting for the train?

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... both really. It's on vacation, and I use it to get to the next vacation point!

Depending on how much time you have, and on the bus schedules, you might be able to ride down to Wishram or somewhere and catch the train from there instead of Spokane. Make sure there is plenty of time for the connection though (like at least an hour).

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Shanghai, I also really wish Amtrak could bring back the North Coast Hiawatha. I took that train with a friend to Livingston in the 70's, (with our unboxed bikes as checked baggage) and bicycled through Yellowstone for 4 days.

It was a beautiful train ride, timed better to see scenery in daylight. Our bike route brought us back to the train at Bozeman, but it was 'annulled' (as the sign in the depot said) due to a washout from spring floods. We were bused to Miles City at high speed to keep on the Hiawatha schedule.

As it turns out, the Hiawatha was 7 hours late because it was rerouted over the old (Milwaukee) Olympian Hiawatha route through Roundup. Someone said the track was in such bad shape, the conductor was walking ahead of the train at spots. I wish I could have been on that ride!

For you young'ns interested in passenger RR history, prior to Amtrak there were 2 other competing railroads besides the Great Northern's Empire Builder running CHI-MSP-Seattle. Northern Pacific had the North Coast Limited and Milwaukee had the Olympian Hiawatha (electrified through the Rockies). In the 70's Amtrak combined those names for the train that used mostly the NP route. NP and GN became one under Burlington Northern, now BNSF. Milwaukee was split up after bankruptcy, but their line is still used Chicago-St.Paul.

I still remember the old NP TV/radio ad song:

Feel like a king in your castle on wheels,
Through all kinds of weather, travelling together.
It's really terrific.
The Northern Pacific,
Vista Dome North Coast Limited!

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
hey twinstar, can you tell me what towns in montana the old milwaukee road line and northern pacific went through?

im taking the builder on thursday night, then connecting to the cardinal in chicago on saturday. i cant wait!

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
The Northern Pacific followed the I-94/I-90 route up the Yellowstone and on to Idaho. In greater detail: CHI Savanna LaCrosse Minneapolis (then the current Builder route to Fargo) -Bismarck Glendive Miles City Billings Livngston (7am west, 10:43pm east, 25 min stop, milepost 999 from St.Paul) Bozeman Butte or Helena Missoula Paradise Sandpoint Spokane Pasco Yakima SEA.

Milwaukee: current Builder route to St.Paul, then Granite Falls MN, Aberdeen SD, Mobridge, Terry MT, Miles City, Forsyth, Melstone Roundup, Harlowton (start electrification), Ringling, 3Forks, Butte, Missoula, St.Regis , Avery ID, Spokane, Ellensburg, SEA.

dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lucky. I live between two important lines. The Hudson Line's Yonkers station is about three miles west. The NEC New Rochelle station is three miles west. Plus, a busy commuter rail station is directly behind my apartment building. I often hear the distinct sound of Amtrak trains blowing for Shell interlocking. That's where Amtrak's Hell Gate Line and Metro-North's ex-NH tracks merge in New Rochelle.
Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
wow, the milwaukee really went via some obscure places. places like ringling make malta (on the empire builder line) look like a thriving metropolis.

hey when did the milwaukee line stop running passenger trains? when milwaukee went out of business? what year was that?

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
It followed US12 thru South/North Dakota and that was really obscure. I got this from the "Route of the Hiawatha" Bike Trail website at www.skilookout.com. Check it out.

"The last passenger train, the Olympian Hiawatha, passed through the Bitterroots in 1961, and the electric locomotives where gradually replaced by diesel engines by 1973. The final bankruptcy was filed in 1977, and the last train west of Butte passed through in 1980. After that the line was abandoned."

There are stories of a last train to Aberdeen SD from Minneapolis that was a big railfan bash. Milwaukee's CHI-MSP Hiawathas were very popular.

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
well there is some personal business i have to take care of in my hometown and i wont be able to leave for DC this week. I will be able to go in about 10-14 days.

I also checked the schedule and i discovered if i leave on an earlier bus out of livingston i can meet the same train out of seattle in everett. only have to wait two hours instead of 8 in spokane (but i do have to leave on an earlier bus).

also, i discovered when i canceled my reservation that i will get the total amt charged to my credit card back. previously, though, when i had called amtrak to change the date of my reservation( when i thought i would only be delayed 3 days) they told me i would have to pay a 30 dollar exchange fee, payable at the station.

so my advice is if anybody makes a reservation and then needs to change it, just cancel the original rsvp and then go online or something and make a new booking. youll save the 30 dollar exchange fee!

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Shanghai, if you haven't booked your new dates yet, check out 'Rail Sale' on the website. SEA-CHI is $51.80 thru 2/13 and CHI-WAS is $25.80 thru 3/31. This time of year you could probably upgrade onboard to a sleeper too!

Someone on this forum figured out the new Rail Sale offers were coming about Jan 12, and they were right on. Don't tell anyone! This is cheap enough to buy a tickets just in case you go!

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
yes twinstar rocket, those are good deals on rail sale. now if only i could get amtrak to cover my greyhound bus fare to get to the station!!! (btw, i am now going to start my trip in either everett or seattle, see my other post with that topic headline)
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Shang...I have to hand it to you we do appriciate the business. That's what I call devotion. I myself have traveled just over 1 million miles on Amtrak BUT then I do work for Amtrak so I guess that's cheating and doesn't count. Glad to have you and all the rest of you regular riders on board. We couldn't make it without you.
Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
well i think i will probably take the train out of seattle. might check out the ferry harbour in seattle during my 9 hour layover there.....

hey sheriff, being that you work for amtrak, do you know if its possible to get a part time job with amtrak in DC? i dont have any railroad experience, and i will already have a full time job on capitol hill when i am there. thanks for your info!

graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ve taken at least one or two cross country trips on Amtrak every year since 1990. I don t know how many miles that would be, but I've also taken many shorter trips, I've flown one way and taken the train back the other,etc. I just got back from a New York-jacksonville round trip yesterday and in March Im flying out on Southwest from BWI to Burbank-Glendale and traveling back via Sacramento and the Zephyr to Chicago and the Cap Ltd back to DC and up to BWI. Its convenient that both BWI and the Burbank(now the Bob Hope airport) have their train stations and airports so close to each other.

Nothing like a train trip to look foward to to get you through a harsh Northeast winter!

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dutchamtrakfan
Member # 3000

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dutchamtrakfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came all the way from the Netherlands(Europe) to travel eastcoast/chicago to westcoast and back by Amtrak 5 times between 1983 and 2002 in sleepers and coach. I hope tthat Amtrak will survive and give us people from Europe still the unique travelexperience of distance and space.
Posts: 8 | From: netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ridden over 200,000 miles on Amtrak. Also,I have ridden every year starting with 1971.My first trip was when Amtrak was three weeks old,and I am still riding.I will give up my Amtrak when they peel my cold dead fingers from around it!

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shanghaiamtrak;
I don't think they have part time jobs but you can check at; http://www.teamrewards.net/amtrakjobs/

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page