RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak California operations safe in budget

Author Topic: Amtrak California operations safe in budget
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This came to me in the mail from RailPAC today. I thought I'd pass it along.

California Railing Funding Safe in New Budget

Today the Governor's 2004-05 budget was released. While there was changes to some capital funding programs, operating funds was not reduced. This means that all current funding for already running AmTrak service will stay the same and that there will no reduction in service.

Better yet, becasuse ridership is up and cost have gone down, there is
sufficant funding available the add an additional Surfliner train between San Diego-LA-Santa Barbara-San Luis Obispo.

Additonally, while some capital projects that havn't gone to bid will be held up, most of those that are in actual construction, especially the double tracking of the Yolo Causeway, will be finished.

As for High Speed Rail, it recieved full funding AND $300,000 for ligitation that might result from the EIR/EIS. The Governor has asked that the HSR Bond election be delay at least until 2006.

This request was due more to practical matters than to politics. If both the Budget bonds and Education Bonds pass in March, the state will have reached it bonding capiticy. Therefore any bonds approved later would result in bonds sales being reduced and spreed over a longer period of time and would also reduce the state bond rating and inaffect increase the interest rate.

This information is being provided to you as a service by the Rail Passenger Association of California (RailPAC), California's largest rail advocacy membership organization.

If you would like information about RailPAC, simple send us your postal mailing address by return e-mail.

Richard L. Silver, Executive Director
Rail Passenger Association of California http://www.RailPAC.org

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news. I was afraid of some rail sevice being 'Terminated' in favor of Hummerways.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody got any details on the additional Surfliner to SLO?
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
Additonally, while some capital projects that havn't gone to bid will be held up, most of those that are in actual construction, will be finished.

On Saturday (1/10) they closed parts of the Surfliner route south of Irvine for siding construction near Cardiff and possibly other work. Amtrak was using buses to bridge the gap.

As for operations, that was good news to hear they had been spared the cuts. keep on riding!

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good to read that some things are working out well for California railroading. Hopefully this will help to promote other states to offer the same types of service. Being a resident of Arizona, I would like to see Arizona provide some trains between Tucson and Phoenix.

Where is the Yolo Causeway that is being doubletracked? I have not heard of it before.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yolo Causeway is between Davis and Sacramento. It is a long bridge over a floodplain.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you MPalmer. I think I know the area you described as the Yolo Causeway. I just did not know the name for it.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hasn't UP sold the ROW from Salinas to Seaside to the regional transit authority 'round your way?

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GLAD TO HEAR MR. TOY!

THanks for always informing us of Amtrak financial stuff!

A.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page