RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » taking the cz

Author Topic: taking the cz
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(mr/s. moderator please don't zap this post. i choose to not use caps - don't need 'em).

i'm taking the z tuesday from omaha. do you all have any tips for me regarding the oma station, certain train crew to avoid, your favorite menu as well as snack bar items? i'm taking digital and slr cameras, binocs, and railroad maps. I took the maps on a chief trip last year and they were like a magnet for others in the observation car - kinda cool. i took a radio with a vfh band but the on-train reception was terrible (it has no squelch). i'm coaching between oma and den then sleeper to mtz (ain't train talk fun?)and vice/versa on return. in your opinion, is there a preferred seating location in coach for the z and coaches generally? i'm staring from lawerence, kansas. it's four hours to drive to oma. seventeen to take the chief to gbb then z to oma. plus i save about $100.00. can't wait. i love it, i love it, i love it!!! any of you taking the z tuesday? lets meet for a toddy. brad

Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spotted a capital I! Whether you need them or not, it makes it far easier for everybody else to read your post if you just flex that one incy wincy teeny tiny muscle in your finger to depress the shift key at the appropriate times... you can have an extra chip if the energy loss is too much for you.

;-)

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.K. Geoff, as long as I can have an extra chip. I appreciate your comment, especially your tact. I was deleted at Railroad.Net for not using caps.
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train talk was fun. I had to get out my timetable to find out what mtz was. Back to foamer school for me. But how come you gave us one by spelling out Lawrence and Kansas?

Your enthusiasm is inspiring. I would love to run into you on a train. Lawrence is a town I like. When I was killing time to catch the SWC in Topeka once we had to drive to Lawrence to find anything open after 8pm.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I think of Larence I think of that made-for-tv movie where Kansas City gets nuked. The story focuses on some survivors who live in Lawrence. I think one was a doctor played by Hal Holbrook. He's stuck in rush hour traffic and far ahead a mushroom cloud rises over the horizon. I wonder if the story would have been different if he was sitting in a horizon car.

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Twin Star, Sorry, I spelled out Lawrence because it's not a major stop or crossroad. Glad you like Lawrence but it's gotten too big for me.

Dave, The star was Jason Robards and I can't remember the name of the movie.

traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
I cheated and looked up the movie - "The Day After".
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Traveler. Welcome to the group!

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page