RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cresent

Author Topic: Cresent
ken32
Member # 2990

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ken32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are planning to go to New Orleans next week for a conference (we're leaving from Washington, D.C.) The past couple of days I've noticed that the Cresent is anywhere from an hour or so to 5 hours late in leaving New York City. Is this normal for this train? If so, it's not a big hassle; it'd just be nice to plan ahead. Thanks!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Crescent's overall timekeeping is pretty good. Though often late, the delay is seldom more than an hour or so. Sounds like they're having problems at Sunnyside yards in New York. I'd expect that to clear up before your trip.
Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Cresent roundtrip in Business Class Charlotte-NY-Charlotte last month and coming back we left Penn Station about 30 minutes late due to 'equipment delays'. That just meant the engine was late pulling up to the platform from the service yard.

Here is some other info from a thread I posted on the ride were you change engine types and it take about 30 minutes in DC to switch engines...

http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/001648.html

[This message has been edited by dmwnc1959 (edited 01-13-2004).]

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDG484
Member # 2907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDG484   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1959:
I rode the Cresent roundtrip in Business Class Charlotte-NY-Charlotte last month and coming back we left Penn Station about 30 minutes late due to 'equipment delays'. That just meant the engine was late pulling up to the platform from the service yard.

Here is some other info from a thread I posted on the ride were you change engine types and it take about 30 minutes in DC to switch engines...

http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/001648.html

[This message has been edited by dmwnc1959 (edited 01-13-2004).]

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Carolinian? The Crescent does not have a Business Class, only coach and sleepers.
I work Train 20 every Thursday and Friday from WAS to PHL and it usually runs anywhere from on time to one hour late.

[This message has been edited by RDG484 (edited 01-13-2004).]

Posts: 49 | From: Drexel Hill, PA 19026 USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The southbound Crescent and the westbound Lake Shore Limited are scheduled to leave NYC at the same time. (2:50 PM.) When I tool the Lake Shore Limited last it was late and the crew explained that it gets crazy for the crews at Sunnyside to get two trainsets ready at the same time for the same departure. SO usually one of the two leaves late.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page