RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Question / Idea

Author Topic: Question / Idea
Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey is this a new forum? I haven't been back to the TrainWeb site for quite some time and can't remember if this one is new or not.

Also...since Amtrak seems to have financial problems most of the time and the government has to keep giving them money to get by, I thought of an old fashion idea: Advertise on TV! I think it would be neat to see railroad commercials on television. So any money the government gives to Amtrak can be used to promote passenger services.

Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
Also...since Amtrak seems to have financial problems most of the time and the government has to keep giving them money to get by, I thought of an old fashion idea: Advertise on TV! I think it would be neat to see railroad commercials on television.

They have run TV ads in the past, even national TV ads, but I haven't seen them in a while...Amtrak seems to be concentrating on more targeted marketing these days, including local radio and print advertisements.

[This message has been edited by trainman1 (edited 01-13-2004).]

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDG484
Member # 2907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDG484   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Richie Havens used to sing Amtrak's praises for many years.
Posts: 49 | From: Drexel Hill, PA 19026 USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer the first question: This board has been here quite awhile. I joined up over three years ago.

As for TV spots, as others have noted, Amtrak did run TV ads long ago. I remember they used Pat Matheney's Last Train Home as background music. But, alas, TV ads cost a lot of money, which Amtrak doesn't have. They have done some very clever and effective radio ads in the last year, however.

TV advertising might bring in more customers, but there is another issue here. Most of Amtrak's long-distance trains are running close to full capacity much of the time. They don't have trouble filling seats with minimal advertising. What Amtrak really needs is capital to increase capacity so they'll have more product to sell.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 01-13-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think the best things amtrak can do to get more passengers (which they do need, every long distance train i have been on is half full at the most outside of the summertime and the holidays, makes it nice for me because i can get two seats, but its not good for amtrak)is get the trains to run on time.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The board is since early 2001.

AND acvertising on tv wou;d be great!
They use to have TV advertising but now I never see it anymore. It was over the summer mainly. But it takes $$ to make money...IE money to make comercials..

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen any Amtrak TV commercials, ever. Being in the Twin cities radio market, however, has been a different story. I have been pleasantly surprised to hear radio spots for passenger trains. They have evn been during Rush Limbaugh's show, of all the shows that they could be on.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page