RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Guest Rewards question

Author Topic: Guest Rewards question
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Untim recently only I had a Guest Rewards membership. My wife did not. The Amtrak credit card is also under my name though we both use it.

After booking our next trip I was reminded that spouse's tickets don't count unless she has her own membership, so I signed her up, too.

My question: Can a husband and wife combine points when redeeming them on a sleeper for two? Or, if I book a sleeper with my points, and she comes along without redeeming any of her (very few) points, does she have to pay the rail fare? Has anyone had experience with this and know how it works?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcdoniel
Member # 1300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcdoniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy

I can't answer your specific question about combining points but me and my wife have a similar situation.

In late December I mand reservations for an April trip from LAX to SEA to CHI and return to LAX. No additional points were required for my wife's travel.The agent explained that sleeping car arrangements and meals are for both of us and no additional points were required.

Don

Posts: 10 | From: Garden Grove CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Guest Rewards literature Amtrak mailed to me:

"Rewards are determined by the number of Zones you wish to travel across. . . Standard/Accessible accommodates up to two people in a private room. . . Deluxe includes sleeper accommodations for up to two people."

When you cash in your points, your "reward" covers travel for two. But as for whether you and your wife can combine your respective points (so that, for example, you'll have enough points to travel Deluxe instead of Standard). . . .

Call me cynical, but I doubt the computer system is set up to handle it.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-14-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in process of booking my trip via Guest Rewards and have asked the same question. The answer is regretably no.

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just booked a trip (1-13-04) from Milwaukee to Flagstaff, standard sleeper, via Guest Rewards. For 20,000 points, my wife and I get the tickets for no additional charges. It's my card and my points. It even worked for both of us for the Hiawatha between Milwaukee and Chicago.

If you have the points, you can book the trip for you and your wife. Call 800-307-5000

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And by the way. Don't forget to ask for the 20% promotion Guest Rewards is running right now. You can redeem them for a trip with 20% less points required. In other words, a 20,000 point trip can be obtained for 16,000 points. They probably won't offer, so be sure to ask. The promotion does require that you travel in two or three zones.

[This message has been edited by kjkober (edited 01-14-2004).]

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*$&$^%#%%@&*($&^%@@%$

They didn't "volunteer" that information!

I'll call them back, today.

Thanks kjkober.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havnt rode on amtrak much, but I dont get guest rewards at all! I mean like I dont understand it when I say that. what is it? Is it a credit card, or just a rewards points?

How do I get it?

THANKS,
A.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CS99- www.amtrakguestrewards.com

Guest Rewards is a program that anyone can sign up for and earn points by traveling on Amtrak. When you have enough, they can be redeemed for free Amtrak trips or other stuff through their partners. You can also sign up for a credit card and get points for every purchase you make with it. I have enough points saved up for a free trip but haven't yet decided what to use them on-A long distance coach trip, a shorter sleeper trip, or a trip on Acela Express. Any suggestions?

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,
Hi, and to answer your question: What my wife and I did was to have her points all transferred to MINE. They did that, but yoou know Amtrak. You might have to go to a supervisor to get it done.
SO THERE IS HOPE!
Scott

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Coachclass

I would go for more "miles".
A long sleeping car trip would be fun. But if you want to specnd now the Acela is pretty cool!

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page