RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Challenger Making its way to Houston

Author Topic: Challenger Making its way to Houston
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The largest and most powerful operating steam engine, the Challenger, is making its way to Houston as part of the Super Bowl Steam Special.

It left Cheyenne, Wyoming on January 12 and as of now on the 15th its in Kansas City, Missouri, ready to make its way to my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri, scheduled to arrive the 16th and leave the 18th of January.

Does anyone know much about the route it takes from KC to STL? Does it travel the route of the KC/STL Mule? Im going to be around the area of Kirkwood, Missouri, a stop on the Mule, and was wondering if anyone knew if it would go by the Kirkwood station and at what time?

Its finals week at school, so Im off at 11:50 AM.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.uprr.com/notes/corpcomm/2003/1229_super.shtml
Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I already had that.

But does anyone know if it goes through Kirwood, Missouri.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't this item be more appropriate in the "Rail News" section of the forum?
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice link, Coachclass!

I never heard of the challenger before, It seems really cool!

A.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I finally saw the Challenger yesterday.

It was supposed to arrive at 3:30 PM at Kirkwood, Missouri, but ended up arriving at around 9:00 PM instead.

I got to the station at about 3:50 after learning that it was going to be 45 minutes late from the Union Pacific PR man over the phone. I was at the station until about 4:30 when it was announced the Challenger wouldnt be in until sometime between 7:00-8:00 PM due to heavy freight traffic.

So I went home for a couple of hours, then came back at 6:45 to find out it would be in at 7:50 PM. About 4 Freights passed by from the West and each time everyone thought it was the Challenger.
There was some kid standing with us who had been there since 9:00 AM and he had a scanner and was telling everyone which track the next train would be on as he thought it would be the Challenger. Also he was waving traffic across the tracks as if he worked for the Police, and was waving people off the tracks including police officers(lol). Many people began to dispise the kid.

Anyway the Challenger finally arrived in Kirkwood at about 8:50-9:00 pm. Man I tell you it was sure worth the wait. It was a magnificant locomotive. Kinda mad though that it finally came in at night time in stead of during the day as my movies of it were kinda dampened by the darkness.

It stayed for only about 2-3 minutes as it was headed for Downtown STL, but those were 2-3 great, memorable minutes to see the largest active steam locomtive running.

It'll be in St. Louis for 2 days, so I'll probably head down to the yards to get some movies of it during the day time hours.
Maybe if I found out how, I'll post them on the Board.

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by CG96:
Shouldn't this item be more appropriate in the "Rail News" section of the forum?

NO

trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CG96:

Or Railfan: Central US. It has nothing to do with Amtrak.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one goes to those forums, this forum has its iright to go a bit out of "AMTRAK" but not too far!!

A,

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Im guessing this is not to far.

As to far would be not train related.

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
For those who have not seen the Challenger 3985 engine these are some pictures of it.
http://www.photosbystevenjbrown.com/steam/up/challenger/3985.html

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
BTW it was stranded in STL for an extra 3 days because of cold weather.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page