RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » RailRoad Inventions

Author Topic: RailRoad Inventions
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Invention, in your opinion would you think helped the RailRoads the most(Not just Amtrak)

I'd say it would be the HotBox Detector, or The Cab-Control feture, How about you guys?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 01-20-2004).]

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No question about it ... the air brake.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to say the dead man pedal on the locomotive. You guys may not be familar with this devise but it has saved a lot of wrecks and derailments.
The dead man pedal to the best of my knowledge was installed in the loco back in the 70's. It's a pedal in the floor under the Engineer's seat,positioned just about where your gas pedal is on your car. When operating the loco you had to press down on the pedal at all times. If you let your foot off the pedal it would automaticlly put the train into emergency stop with brake application. This was supposedly installed in case the Engineer had a heart attack and let the pressure off the pedal the train would stop. To be perfectly honest about it I think it was installed to keep the Engineer from going to sleep. Of course a good railroader can always find a way around these little quirks. I say that because it really is a pain in the butt. You can't even go to the restroom without stopping the train. So we would take a flag stick and wedge it into the pedal to hold it down and not worry about it for the rest of the trip. Now days we have whats called an alerter on the control panel. It's a little red button which activates about every 5 minutes and has to be pushed when you see a red light flashing on the dash. It will flash for about 5 seconds and if you do not respond by pushing the button to let the computer know you are still alive it will start making the most God awful whistle you have ever heard. It will start with short whistles and then get faster and louder until you press the red button. It works the same way as if you do not respond to it the train will go into automatic brake application and stop. You would have to be dead not to hear it. This is one devise we have not been able to bypass yet. It will keep you awake and aware of whats going on around you while at the controls.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to say the engine helped the most... stopping came later ;-)

Electricity was probably a huge improvement, not just in terms of comfort, but in safety as well (gas lit wooden cars?).

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acualy Sheriff,
I am familar with this Device, When I was little, on the way to San Diago the Engeener was letting kids come to the Cab-Control Car and Blow the Horn, When it was My turn, this buzzing noise kept going off, so I asked him what it was, and he said that if he dosnt push the button by the time it stops, the Train will stop itself. That was when Amtrak Was still using there Amfleets & F40s

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CPBake
Member # 2965

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CPBake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to say the centralized signaling systems helped the overall safety and efficiency of the railroads quite a bit. If you had said "trains", instead of "railroads", I would vote for the air brake system.
Posts: 10 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon;
Good for you for remembering. We still let the kids come into the cab car when possible for a quick look. It's educational and exciting. I have even had the fathers tell me their child loves trains and wants to see inside the cab car so I let them even though the child is only about 18 months old. I know it's really the dad who wants to see but that's OK too.

Now the air brake system was definately one of the best inventions. I would have to put it high on the list. When I think about what is the best invention I think about the safty issue involved.

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 01-22-2004).]

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Multiple-Unit Locomotives. Allows one crew to run the train, instead of a crew in each cab

(Engine crews might disagree with this being a "great" invention)

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Automatic Block Signals,and radio communications between dispacher and train crews.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steel. Before steel rails they were cast iron, and didn't hold up.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Deisel engien

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the articulated coupler? It saved a lot of hands and fingers!

Jim

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page