RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » summer sales

Author Topic: summer sales
paton21st
Member # 3013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paton21st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if Amtrak usually runs any sales during the summer. We are planning a trip to Califorinia in July and want to book our trip but want to wait for a bargain if possible. Or should we go ahead and book then cancel to get a sale price if it comes up
Posts: 1 | From: Battle Creek | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
during the summer there arent many special deals that i know of as its amtraks peak season. if you see a good price beforehand on rail sale or something, youd better snatch it up.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think rail sale has many offers where the dates extend into the summer season. In the past there have been '2 for 1', or 'buy 2 and get a 3rd free' offers into summer.

Rail sale has had summer offers, but they are not likely to pop up until closer to summer. It's really a gamble; if you wait you could pay more, or less! With ridership up and summer being the highest demand time, you never know.

I would say the book and cancel plan is the safest. Keep an eye on the website.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you going coach class or in a sleeper? If a sleeper, book as soon as possible as prices only go up as the date gets closer and the train fills up. If in coach seats, wait and try to get deals on the rail sale or on ebay and I'm sure you'll save. Good luck.
-Coachseats www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice website, coachclass. id just like to add one book to your list: all aboard amtrak by mike schafer, 1991. its a great full color book on amtrak.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page