RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak vs Airline Security

Author Topic: Amtrak vs Airline Security
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The recent terrorist attacks and the resulting upcoming War on terrorism has increased my interest in the safety of U.S. transportation in our future.
I have attempted to summarize the primary differences between Amtrak & airline security.
On the positive side Amtrak does have it's own (Federal) police force across our Nation.
Amtrak provides a professional police patrol division and a very important investigation division.
In addition, most major Railroads also have their own private police departments.
Railroad police provide protection service for property, passengers, freight, rails, and right-of-way.
Airlines are responsible for their own security (Federal Aviation Regulation 107) at checkpoints (metal detectors) in Airports. This usually results in contract private security, poor training, high turnover, & low wages for the people providing that layer of protection.
Some airlines also do have in-house security people, although, it is not mandated by the FAA.
The FAA provides a very limited number of sky marshals who tend to focus on International flights. This will soon change
based on the increased need.
However, on the negative side, to the best of my knowledge, Amtrak has no comprehensive program to screen checked baggage, and no program to screen any carry-on luggage. This seems to present a serious safety issue in regards to terrorists.
I'm interested in others thoughts or knowledge of how our transportation safety options compare.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
----For anyone who hasn't read this; from a local AZ paper----

Amtrak safety push follows derailments and terror attacks

By PAUL DAVENPORT
Associated Press Writer
09/15/2001

PHOENIX -- Amtrak has launched a safety push after a major freight railroad imposed restrictions on operations of Amtrak trains in the wake of the East Coast terrorist attacks and two train accidents.

Amtrak on Friday said it will conduct new testing and evaluations of crew members, increase safety briefings and launch joint reviews with freight railroads on whose tracks Amtrak operates its trains.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Co. on Tuesday had imposed a 70 mph speed limit for Amtrak trains operating on BNSF tracks and, with the exception of some routes in Southern California, ordered that two Amtrak employees be in the operating cab of all Amtrak trains.

The restrictions imposed by Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Co. were described variously as caused by concern about the New York and Washington terrorism or about two train collisions on another railroad's tracks.

A BNSF document released by Arizona railroad-safety regulators indicated that BNSF imposed the restrictions on Thursday in the wake of "alleged stop signal violations" involved in two rail accidents involving Amtrak trains on Union Pacific tracks in Texas and Utah on Tuesday and Thursday, respectively.

Representatives of Fort Worth, Texas-based BNSF acknowledged Friday the railroad imposed the speed and crew restrictions on Amtrak trains. However, they said the speed restrictions also applied to BNSF's own trains and that both restrictions were imposed Tuesday because of concerns stemming from the terrorism attacks that day in New York and Washington, not by the accidents.

"Those were just a temporary requirement of this week as events unfolded and basically it all comes back to our concerns with fatigue and distractions out there," said BNSF spokeswoman Lena Kent. She said the restrictions would be lifted Saturday.

Trains normally are allowed to travel as fast as 90 mph on some wide-open stretches of BNSF track in Arizona, the railroad said.

Amtrak spokeswoman Cheryle Jackson denied that the safety push was forced by the BNSF restrictions. She said Amtrak acted on its own because of the terrorist actions and the Texas derailment the same day.

"Everyone is distraught and impacted by the tragedies," Jackson said from Chicago. "To make certain that our employees are focused on their jobs, this is an opportunity to pound home they have a job to do and the need to do it safely."

Amtrak owns its own track on the Northeast corridor between Boston and Washington but elsewhere in the country generally uses tracks belonging to BNSF and other railroads.

BNSF operates 33,500 miles of track covering 28 states and two Canadian provinces. BNSF track is used by Amtrak trains serving such cities as Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago and Albuquerque, N.M.

Arizona Corporation Commission officials considered BNSF's restrictions "vindication" for the regulatory agency efforts to enforce a state rule requiring that a train's lead locomotive carry two crew members, commission spokeswoman Heather Murphy said.

Most Amtrak trains generally operate with one crew member, the train's engineer, in the cab of the lead engine, while other train personnel, including the conductor, ride in passenger cars.

------

On the Net:

Amtrak: http://www.amtrak.com

Burlington Northern Santa Fe: http://www.bnsf.com

Union Pacific Railroad: http://www.uprr.com

Arizona Corporation Commission: http://www.cc.state.az.us

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw one news report that said Norm Mineta and the transportation dept. were planning to enhance security for all modes of transportation, not just airlines. That includes trains and busses.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Effective September 19, Amtrak will now require a photo ID to match the name on the ticket. Failure to provide this match, when requested to do so by Amtrak personnel, can result in service being denied. A small step in the right direction.
Note, that two of the key suspects now being detained in connection with possible terrorist activities were removed from an Amtrak train that they had boarded after their flight had been diverted in the wake of the attacks. Attention was first drawen to them because they fit the "profile" of narcotic offenders. Although some are quick to critize the concept to "profile" others, when used correctly, it can be a very effective tool for law enforcement. In this case it may have saved many innocent lives.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you 100% on the use of the "PROFILE" system that law enforcment agencies are now using. We all have to remember that the CIA, FBI and other law enforcment agencies are just trying to do their job (which is to protect & Serve the citizens and visitors to this fine country) I strongly believe that the people of this Country are aware of that fact because we all seem to be more tolerant of all the new security measures being put into place in all areas of the Transportation industry in the wake of what happened on that fateful morning of Tues. Sept. 11, 2001.

CK, you sound like you are very knowledgeable of the Amtrak Security System. If you dont mind me asking, Are you a member of a Law Enforcement Agency connected to the Railroad Industry??

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking of security in general and Amtrak in particular, I'm very concerned about bio warfare, esp. water supplies. It would be easy to introduce meningitis, anthrax, or legionaire's bacteria/viruses into a municipal water supply. For Amtrak, I'm reminded of those awful films of Indian trains arriving from (Pakistan) with all riders dead - then, the result of religious war; now, could something like that (or disease hitting a couple days later) result from a fanatic going down the train, contaminating all the car and diner water supplies? What a nightmare!
Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
KA6BGJ,
Thank you for the complement. If you would like to read more about Airline Security go to: www.stadianet.com (Koss' Corner) I wrote a short article at that site and I did include Amtrak. The title is Airline Security, "The Weakest Link". Thanks again.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page