RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Looks like I'll be taking another AMTRAK trip this year!

Author Topic: Looks like I'll be taking another AMTRAK trip this year!
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since some other plans I had for the winter got changed, I am planning another AMTRAK odyssey for late June-early July (depending on availability of sleeper space!!). My tentative itinerary this year will be: Winter Park (Fla.) to Washington D.C. on the Silver Star, overnight in Washington, the Vermonter and connecting bus WAS to Montreal, overnight in Montreal, the Adirondack from Montreal to Schenectady, the Late for Sure Ltd (whoops! I mean Lake Shore Ltd!)from Schenectady to Chicago, the CZ from CHI to Sacramento, overnight in SAC (maybe a visit to the California Railroad Museum?), the San Joaquin and associated Thruway busses SAC to Los Angles, the SWC back to Chicago, Cardinal from CHI back to Washington, then the Silver Meteor back home to Fla. Yes I will have another travelogue, and I'll keep y'all posted on my exact travel dates -- maybe one of you will be on one of the trains I'll be on?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like a heck of a trip. i take it youll buy the north american rail pass?
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmarch
Member # 2953

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like fun!! I booked tickets just yesterday on the sunset limited from New Orleans to Winter Park for next month. I can hardly wait!!
Posts: 33 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right! Me, too! Except that my next big train trip is going to be in March. I'll be going to Florida. While I love cross-country skiing, it's impossible in the sort fo weather where I'm at right now. Plus, FL will just be good for a change. Yee Ha!
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I went and booked my trip yesterday at the Winter Park (Fla.) AMTRAK station -- a couple interesting tidbits to pass along......

1) Apparently there is no longer a bus connection from St. Albans to Montreal, even though one is still shown in the current timetable. I went ahead and booked WAS-MTR, then MTR-SDY the next day anyway, hoping there will be another bus service resurrected by the time I leave in late June. If not, I guess I can stay in St. Albans overnight, then take a taxicab to Rouses Point the next day and catch the Adirondack (according to Map Quest, Rouses Point is only about 30 miles from St. Albans) -- has anyone else ever done that?

2) I had a list of all the train nos. I want, dates, and accomodations, but the agent said her computer does not list trains by train no., but by departure time -- huh? Luckily I had a draft itinerary handy for her, which showed all the departure times, and she got the reservations made. Has anyone else ever heard of that?

3) I didn't realize AMTRAK gives a AAA discount!! I am a AAA member, so I got the discount, which helps a lot! My entire trip, including sleeping accomodations, was $2200-something -- MUCH less than I thought itd be be.

I'm looking forward to this next great trip!!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reason I'm a member of AAA is for the Amtrak discount. The discount I receive each year more than pays for the yearly membership in AAA. The hotel and car rental discounts are bonuses!
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My next trip is a Railsale roundtrip LAX to Seattle on # 14 2/13 and back on #11 on 2/15
for $31.60 each way.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be on the SWC on June 9th... then the Lake Shore Limited, then the Adirondack arriving Montreal the 12th June...
Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im very Jealous.

Hopefully you guys will post more pictures to tide me over until I finally get a train trip.

But there is hope. I maybe going out to LA-SF-SD this summer.
Or out East to Washington DC and Baltimore.

My Fingers are crossed and stapled like that.

BTW I would like to go to the West more because those three cities feature baseball clubs and SD has new Petco Park. Anyone seen it yet.

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 02-06-2004).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW I would like to go to the West more because those three cities feature baseball clubs and SD has new Petco Park. Anyone seen it yet.

I was in San Diego three weeks ago. The park looks great. It's right in the heart of downtown. Restaraunts, hotels and bars all around. You gave me a good idea to take the Surfliner down from LA, watch a day game and go home.

Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paulr:
I was in San Diego three weeks ago. The park looks great. It's right in the heart of downtown. Restaraunts, hotels and bars all around. You gave me a good idea to take the Surfliner down from LA, watch a day game and go home.

I've done this a couple of times in the past when the Padres were playing at Qualcomm, and their Sunday day games started at 2:00. Take the Surfliner that arrives San Diego at 12:25, take the northbound trolley to the stadium, buy a game ticket, take a leisurely stroll around the stadium, get a fish taco or two...

It looks from the schedule that the Padres' Sunday day games are at 1:05 this season, so if I do that this year, I'll probably take the Surfliner that arrives an hour earlier, just so I have plenty of time to take a leisurely stroll around Petco. And it might not be so easy to get tickets on the day of the game, with all the new stadium excitement (and Petco has a smaller seating capacity than Qualcomm).

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncle Buck, don't forget Seattle! The Ms play in Safeco Field, which is right across from Amtrak's King Street Station. Maybe someday you can take a trip NW.

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Chief:
[b]Uncle Buck, don't forget Seattle! The Ms play in Safeco Field, which is right across from Amtrak's King Street Station. Maybe someday you can take a trip NW.

[/B]

Already been there Chief.
Went in 1999, saw the Cleveland Indians play the Seattle Mariners, Cleveland won in a HR fest as I remember clearly with a 3 run dinger in the 11th inning from Richie Sexson.
I saw many trains coast by the park from beyond the CF wall of the stadium.

I also took the Starlight to Portland from Seattle and back while there, and the only way I could make the trip was to get a sleeper accomdation, and I didnt even know about the Parlour car, and boy that was one Helluva suprise.

As I said I want to go to SD-LA-SF. I went to LA in 1993 so I was too young to remember much, and went to SF in 1997 and remember it was a great city. I havent been to San Deigo however, and my mom wants to go as well.
Im just looking for a Train to ride and a Ballgame to watch this summer.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page