RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railpass Question

Author Topic: Railpass Question
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRich's itinerary got me thinking about doing a similar trip. Can sleeping car accomodations be purchased if the rail portion is a Railpass. I'm talking about confirmed accomodations not onboard upgrades. Any help or suggestions?

Frank in Beautiful Santa Barbara, CA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out comments on the rail pass on the Amtral forum at railroad.net. Bradkansas
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Amtrak"
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You certainly can book accommodations with a USA Rail Pass - I've done it several times; I assume the NA Railpass is the same. If you have the pass already, take it down to your local station and they'll book it for you. You might be able to quote the pass number over the 1-800 number too.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not using a "North American Rail Pass" on my trip, since I'll only be in Montreal overnight. But I thought you could NOT book sleeping accomodations with a Railpass until like 10 days before your departure or something. Has that changed?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've booked mine months beforehand, this is going back to 1999 at least.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having used the North America rail pass since its inception, I can confirm that you are able to book sleeping car reservations many months in advance--there is no restriction as to when these reservations can be made. I returned home last month (I live in Toronto) after travelling over 8000 miles in Canada and the U.S. I confirmed both my Via and Amtrak reservations in April of 2003 for my trip starting in December 2003. One advantage of booking so early, is that I saved considerable money. For example my deluxe bedroom charge from Seattle to Los Angeles was only $375 in April, but in September it had gone up to $890. My Deluxe bedroom from Los Angeles to Winter Park Fla. was $502 in April, but would have been $979 in September.

One other comment on the N.A. pass. The rules say that you must take at least one trip in Canada and one in the U.S. But in fact you could use the pass exclusively in only one or the other country. If you wanted to travel, for example, New York to Los Angeles on the Chief and return on the Empire Builder without setting foot in Cnaada, all you would have to do is purchase a ticket e.g. Toronto-Saskatoon and simply not use the ticket. Since you use the pass to "purchase" the ticket, it costs you nothing.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Royaltrain says, not necessary to do a Canadian train ride, but IMHO, I wouldn't miss out on a ride on The Canadian, easily the best train I've ever been on. Enjoy it if you can. The 3 day ride across the country is best, but if yu can only do the ride to Jasper and back, that'll be fun too.
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page